Register now to get rid of these ads!

dropped the 56 a little today!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasel, Sep 23, 2007.

1. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

well, the 56 got squirrelly 'nuf on the road that I decided it was time to do the ball joints, before one of 'em broke in two (you know, the ones that had been sitting in my tool box for a few weeks, waiting for me to get around to it...). Well, while I had everything taken apart, the coils found their way to the chop saw and parted with a 1 1/2 coils each :)
    I've been wanting to do that for a few weeks now ever since I got the new wheels mounted up but I had transmission issues to work through, first. Apparently the splines of the rear planetary gear set in my 700r4 trans sheered off, not allowing any forward driving motion; so I put the lowering on hold and taught myself how to tear down a newfangled automatic trans. The instructional video I followed (yes, I cheated!), at the very end said "I wish you luck on your rebuild, it's not an easy task as the 700r4 is one of the most complex and sensitive automatic transmitions". Fantastic. Does that mean it's not a good starter for a first time auto trans rebuild?! Well, it works fine so far...

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]

I plan on dropping the rear a little bit, maybe an inch, so it doesn't look raked; but I only have so much time in a weekend.

2. praise the Lowered!!!

3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well done! Dropped spindles would give her another 2 ".
    Chris

4. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

I know, ideally I'd do dropped spindles, lowering coils and shocks but the incorrect wheel backspacing doesn't allow more droppage...the fender and tire are fighting each other. pretty bummed about that since they had to be custom ordered, unfortunately I trusted the wheel shop to measure them. now that it's lower I'm going to go back to the shop and see if there's something they can do about it.

I'm going to try rolling the fender a little and next tire change I'll get a size or two smaller in the front, just have to be kinda careful for now so I don't chew up the fender...I'd rather be scrubbin stuff than look like I forgot to take it off the jackstands!

5. rick55fla

rick55fla
    from Cen Fla

What did you use to compress the springs? I rented a spring compressor but couldn't get it to grab the top of the spring. I want to put longer springs ( gasser look). Mine has 2" drop spindles with disc brakes. I put balljoint spacers in and gained about 1.5" but would like to get my car just sitting level.

6. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

I've found a variety of compressors available, the one I rented is the kind of spring compressor that goes inside the spring, has two hooks mounted to a block which the threaded puller screws into and it had a fork for the bottom piece that slid in the lowest coil with the threaded puller going between the forks.

didn't have to use the compressor going back together!

7. rick55fla

rick55fla
    from Cen Fla

The one I rented had 2 hooks top and bottom. The bottom was no problem but the top couldn't hook over the spring because the spring is so tight against the frame. I hate to say it, but I think I'll call around and let someone else install them for me. I've seen what happens if a spring compressor comes loose,,sent one of my buddies to the hospital.

8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really dig your wheels, they look great!
    I have the stock steelies on my 56 along with 2" spindles and airbags.
    I messed up when I ordered the tires, instead of 215/70 15 I bought a set of 225/75-15s. The large tires would rub on the fenders in tight turns at ride height, I always have to lift the frontend a bit before tight turns to avoid it.
    Here´s a pic.Chris
    [​IMG]

9. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Btw, I always remove my springs using a set of these. They go on from the outside and always worked well for me
    [​IMG]

10. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

chris, that looks awesome laid on the ground! that spring compressor work on your 56 coils? I have an external compressor somewhat similar to that and couldn't compress the coils enough because the spring bucket/frame is so deep.

rick, were you trying to get the compressor over mostly the whole coil? I only grabbed about 2/3's of the coil spring and was able to lower the a-arm with a floor jack under the ball joint with plenty of room to spare, no spring kicking out or anything.
    if you're not comfortable with it I don't blame you...spring compressors scare the shit out of me.

11. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

greasel, i blew past this heap on the 198 the other morning on my way to work :) looks real good man, i dig the wheels and the lowering alot.

12. WOW! Looks great. Those front tires look mighty close up there!

13. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

That is a very sweet 56. I like it. I like it a lot.

14. Big Tony

Big Tony

15. lol..was just remembering how I took my springs out the first time...lol...tied `em to the upper a-arms with nylon strap and set the jack under the lower arm..separated with the pickle fork and dropped the lower arm..lol...kids, DO NOT try this at home....I was hiding behind the wheel I removed the whole time...lol...I'm an idiot, but a little excitement is good for ya from time to time...

16. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

I love 56's, when i put the coil in on my 55 I rented the compressor with the hooks it kept riding off to the side the more i tightened it, my cousin was so freaked he sat on the otherside of my garage while i tightened it outside.. they looked so unstable we just ended up doing it the old fashion way with a jack under the bottom control arm and our toes crossed for good luck.. =)
    -Anthony

17. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

I went to napa today and ponied up $26 for some 2" lowering blocks and new u-bolts for the rear to get rid of the raked stance...man that's buggin me! they had to order them so I don't get 'em until monday...once it's done I'll try to take a few decent quality pics! thanks for the compliments.
    --yes, it's very close. I actually can't turn right very well with passengers. there's plenty of clearance on the left thanks to an assclown in Santa Barbara that hit my car parked on a quiet, one way side street, kinda bent the bumper in a little and pooched the fender out over the wheelwell, can only tell if you look at it from the front but...have to do somethin to get a little more fender-tire clearance.

Josh, why were you awake early enough to see me on 198? the daystar isn't even up yet and lord knows I wasn't awake yet!

Lucky, I really hate to admit this but I've done dumber. in high school I removed coils from a 9C1 LT1 Caprice by jacking the control arm up by the balljoint as much as possible and wrapping the coils with braided strands of soft steel wire, it was similar to bailing wire but a little thicker diameter...I don't know how it didn't break, surprisingly it worked. won't ever try it again. ever. there are much more exciting ways I can think of to die, a coil spring going through my face is not on the list.

18. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

sweeeet....picked up the lowering blocks and u-bolts at napa today. the guys at the fresno warehouse napa are way cool, the ones I talked to were actually car guys. didn't install them yet because I was helping saubonasty do some minor repairs on his belair, followed by a pretty determined couch-sit....me and the widmer hefe, chillaxin. maybe I'll get around to the '56 droppage tomorrow...