Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 Allstate Vert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrblack30, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Found one in a shed last night while looking for the once in a lifetime "Barnfind".

Well, open the door, I walked into the cow shed, stepping over the cow patties. Walked around the 32 ford truck and around the 28 ford truck, next to the Model T milk truck and next to the 1932 Autocar ladder Fire truck I found an Allstate convertible. The cows have free roam of this shed. The cows have managed to rub against everything in the shed and broke off the mirrors off of every vehicle, they have pushed in the front fenders on the model T truck. The Allstate is sinking into the grond so much that the cows are shitting on the hood and fenders of the car and the occasional lucky shot that lands in the car since the top is long gone.

And you guessed nothing is for sale. I stood there almost in tears at the carnage that was everywhere.

I will post pictures tonight

2. Post pics. If you mean Allstate as in Henry J, They didn't make them in a convertible. Scroll down to see a picture of the only Allstate/Henry J convertible. Could it be a Kaiser? http://www.oldcarandtruckpictures.com/HenryJ/

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Allstate, as in produced for distribution by Sears. I have never heard of an Allstate convertible, the only car I'm familiar with is a rebadged Henry J (even seen a couple of Allstate race cars). Definitely got to see some pictures of this thing. Detail shots of the projectile turds, please.

4. Firecracker

Firecracker

man! Those cows just must not know when to let something go.

5. When I talked to the owners son who was showing me around, he called it a Henry J. Looking at it, it definatly had Henry J fenders, front grill, and taillights. But later when I talked with the owner directly he corrected his son he said it was an Allstate. I tend to believe the old man since he was right on on everything else I saw in the shed and everything else I saw there last night, the rest will be posted at a later date.

I looked at those pics before I posted this and the car looked exactly like the convertable Henry J in the website not the Kaiser. The only exception that I noted is that the car did not have the side trip as shown in the picture, but all the body lines were there. I looked the car over and I couldn't see anywhere this car was a custom. Everything looked stock, spot on and covered with cow shit.

6. Thumper

Thumper

Cow shit is the new patina !

Frankie47 likes this.
  7. Crestliner

Crestliner

It says one prototype was built and destroyed. The one pictured was built by a guy using a photo of the prototype. The one pictured has 55 chevy stainless on the side.

8. there was a very nice Henry J convertible running around Pasadena Ca. in 60-62 but it was custom built. I've always wondered what happened to that car

9. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I had an Allstate, Very rare car, no convertables though, it has to have been done to it at some point in time, Henry J's and Allstates really don't have the lines to make a good looking convertable anyway. Not saying what you saw wasn't an Allstate convertable, but it is not a factory produced style.

10. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

there is one in okc and has been here as long as i can remember the glass guy had it and would not sell but his son did a few months ago to someone around here. I have looked at it several times and it is indeed a convert... and its a henry J not an allstate... he says 5 were built in new york by a coach company is what he has always known and had been contacted by some new york guys about his yrs ago , never know i guess..............

11. A little slow with the pictures, but here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will try to get some better pictures, the guy is kind of hard to get permission to take picture like this. He has alot of stuff stashed about and want to keep it that way.

I tried the other day to talk some more about the Allstate and he said they made five of them, so maybe this was one of the five mentioned above.

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wow that is an old custom look at the weld on the inner door panel.

jimgoetz likes this.
  13. When I first looked at the car everything seemed to fit rigth and look correct. When you compare the pics from the Allstate site:http://www.oldcarandtruckpictures.com/HenryJ/1952_Henry_J_Convertible-Dc.jpg and the ones I listed , I noticed that the windshields didn't match at all. The one from the Allstate site shows a posted windshiled while the ones I shown does not have a post. but if you read the caption of under the allstate photo it says that this is a copy that someone did from protortype photos so who knows what is correct.

14. Anyone have more info on Skyline and their customs?

15. Looks like a Stude windshield, anything 53-up, but probably from a Lark since they didn't make a convert between '53 and '60. Would have had '55 Pontiac trim on it by the looks, too. Between that and the candy apple red paint, I'd say old custom, not factory conversion. Interesting to see the Kaiser "K" hubcaps.

16. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

Unbelievable! Makes you wonder what people are thinking.I respect the fact that you don't want to sell something(Lord knows we all had cars that we wish we still had), but at least make some attempt at decent storage! Great car.

17. first "barn find" i have seen that the livestock still uses!

i suspect ya din't crawl under and check the frame and suspension:)

18. Tony

Tony

Man that sucks...pretty cool car too, i sure as hell havn't seen one in person.

19. Holy Crap!...........what a shame.

jimgoetz likes this.

20. Yup, an ACTUAL BARN FIND found in a barn for a change!!!

James

21. Ramblur

Ramblur

22. Yep, everywhere on the ground, fenders, hood, etc.

23. Joe Grippo

Joe Grippo

Here is another one...probably home made. Henry J or Allstate? Any guesses?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Geez Joe, that thing is butt-ugly... except for the fin in the middle of the trunk- now THAT I LIKE:rolleyes:

25. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

Oh man that is so sad:( He won't even think of selling huh?

26. kinda looks homemade, look closly at the top of the drivers door and it appears to have a piece of wood on the top. i have seen that on a few coupes with the tops cut off. in fact my parts 36' plymouth looks like that.

27. Mist Green 50

Mist Green 50
    from New Mexico

that car also has 51-52 Chevy rear bumper w/accessory fender guards

28. I'm going to revive this thread just because there is also the Henry J convertible thread going on right now. THIS burgundy and white car in this thread sure appears to be a "Skyline" to me because the doors have been cut down at the Darrin dip in the sheet metal to give the car the racier profile that the Skyline drawing in the brochure has. I suppose it is still in the barn and still not for sale.

29. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

Looks like Lark windsheild,55 Pon. hood bird,missing 55 Pon side trim & Merc. hub caps,i'd trade my Henery J for it

30. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY