Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jonnyhotrod Coupe update...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnyhotrod, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

Jim (Disgustin) Gustin was asking me about what I've done on my coupe since I wrapped up the rear end in June in post http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208441&highlight=alter+boys about the Alter Boys show.

"Re: Alter Boys' 2007 Jalopy Jamboree at Ralph's Diner
    Jonathan........Got any progress shots of the coupe?
    I havent seen any evidence of work done since you forwarded me that short video clip back in June

Jim (Disgustin)"

So, as not to hijack the post; here's a little update:

Since then I pulled the body off the chassis with the help of my trusty neighbors and got to work on a beefy, yet traditional looking 4-bar set-up. The motor was pulled and the chassis completely disassembled. I bought a Pete & Jake's 4-bar and cut it up to work with my radius rods, welding some of the DOM tubing into notches I cut in them. The ends are bushed and mate to tabbed mounts welded to the original '36 Spring mounts, where the radius rod broke off.

I then welded tabs on top of the rear end near the pumpkin for the upper arms to attach to, and a new cross brace on the frame for the other ends. The I went to town on the chassis, solid welding everything, rewelding the motor mounts and cleaning it up for paint. I put it back together as a roller after painting the front end and all of the chassis and motor brackets, etc. After priming and sanding for a while of the exposed frame portion, I shot the whole thing black. I ran the brakes and fuel lines, put the motor back in and set up the rear end.

As for the body, I am working with master body man Christy Massios. After meeting him shortly before the Road Agents show, we became friends and he offered his expertise and shop space to me to get the body finished off properly. I am learning how to do leading, hammer welding, etc. and getting my feel for waves down pretty well. Door sills have been made (see templates) as well as a patch for my decklid. So far I have completed one door to the primer stage and am currently blocking out the other one after leading and skimming. I'm sandblasting everything, leading and finishing it in stages. It's slow going to do it right, so I'll probably be working into the Winter on it, and painting it in the Spring if all goes well.

So that's it... I haven't been slacking, just under the radar a bit while I get stuff done. More to come as I progress.

Jonny

Attached Files:

2. Thanks for the update Jon.
    Thats a huge load of work you've done.
    I got to take my family apple pickin' Saturday morning up rte. 2 in Harvard Ma.
    Well ride up to Ralph's after.
    My son sings in a band with his girl there but I dont think he's playing this week end.
    I might have to bring a normal ride this time 'cause we cant all fit in the coupe or roadster.
    The big Lincoln is still to scary to drive out of town so we cant drive to Ralph's in that either.

Blessed mother of acceleration...... dont fail us now.

3. Where you at now Jonny?