Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn find of a lifetime

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VA HAMB, Mar 24, 2007.

1. erock805

erock805

Wow, luccckkkyyyy!

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Now that's funny right there - I don't care who you are!

Wicked find - I'd love to stumble across something like that. I'm jealous...

I'd get the engine back together & in, do the minimum of updating/restoring to make it safe, & drive the piss out of it!

3. PRoz

PRoz

Add a +1 to the , Damn. I'm jealous column.

4. mercjoe

mercjoe

Nice...., check for the history of the car and restore it accordingly..

5. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Very nice. Please don't ratrod it. Kinda reminds me of this car, the motor had put in later, otherwise it remains "as is". Looks like they got hundreds of stories to tell.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. BenW455

BenW455

You suck!:) Thats cool!

7. Steve 38

Steve 38

Wow, that is so cool. You guys in the US are so lucky. When we have barn finds in NZ, its usually an asthmatic English Ford Anglia, or Ford Prefect or something.

I understand your resto dilema. Maybe you could compromise if you feel you should restore it. Leave the body as it is, don't tough the paint. Restore the chassis, suspension, motor etc, but leave the body as is. That was how Brock Yates had Pete Chapouris restore the Eliminator, the famous old T-roadster sports racer from the 50s. Like Brocks wife said, "You can't restore original", and how Chapouris said "Thank god, I was worried you'd want brand new. That would have ruined one of the trully rare pieces of American hot rod art". Once that original paint and sign writing is gone, its gone forever.

8. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

I need that adapter and bearing retainer! Let's see the pics of the nailheads & parts! Nice score btw

9. waynejell

waynejell
    from USA

Restore that sucker to it's former glory:D

Do what ever you want with it:) It is yours:eek:

10. Congrats on your cool find! Please,please,please dont paint over that beautiful hot rod. Just put er back together and run the wheels off.;)

11. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Just got off the phone with Mr. Morris,
    Get this, he biult the car in shop class when he was in High School. (1964 Wilson Memorial Fishersville, VA) Originally ran a 264 then moved up to a 401 which is the engine I have. Dick Swecker who is a well know gragger from the Waynesboro area convinced him to go with the Hilborn injection and Mag.
    Bill Berry a well know round track guy from the area built the heads.
    Says he ran alcohol w/ nitro till he blew the clutch out of it.
    He says it ran mid 10's at about 135, says he it 140 a few times.
    So, there is some history of the truck. He's retiring this week and told me to call him then and come over and he will let me copy all of his photos and news paper clippings.
    Needless to say im quite excited about the whole deal. Funny thing is he really didnt seem too excited that anyone wanted to retain his history. Im just glad some guy didnt get it and turn her into some billet queen. Todd

12. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

new pics of the altered have surfaced and here are some.

Attached Files:

• ba1.jpg
      ba1.jpg
      File size:
      30.8 KB
      Views:
    • ba2.jpg
      ba2.jpg
      File size:
      22.8 KB
      Views:
  13. Cshabang

Cshabang

bitchin...restore it...

14. the shadow

the shadow

sell what you can and scrap the rest!:eek: just kidding, nice find!

15. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Man that truck just simply ROCKS! What icing on the cake to get all of the old speed goodies along with it. Restore it to its original glory for everyone to share.

16. pecker head

pecker head

the car on the right is the meanest model A ,I ever saw with fenders . On Root hawgs pictures .

17. Ebert

Ebert

Way KOOL..PRESERVE THE PAST!!!! EBERT

18. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Restore it and make it right.Patina's just another way of saying I'm to lazy to get of my dead ass and finish it.

19. Harms Way

Harms Way

Really cool stuff,.... thanks for posting it and keeping us updated.

20. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

I have mocked up the engine and re-installed it for a photo shoot before it goes into restoration. Also I will be taking it to Waynesboro Va.( Eastside Speedway) where it was raced alot for their annual nostalgia race weekend in October. Mr. Morris will be attending and I hope to get a photo of him with the truck. I also was by his house last week and purchased his helmet that he wore.
    Ill post a picture w/engine as soon as I can get it off my phone. (my camera died)

21. Very cool. See you at Mokan.

NoSurf likes this.
  22. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Here is Mr. Morris in 1964 before the truck was painted red. BTW his brother has an Eastside Speedway Newsletter with the truck on the cover circa '67 He is going to let me make a copy. Im trying to get any documentation I can to add to the history. Should be a great piece when its done.

Attached Files:

• BA3.jpg
      BA3.jpg
      File size:
      25.3 KB
      Views:
  23. Sanderson37

Sanderson37

Man Im pretty sure I would give my left nut...hell id give both for somthing as cool and historic as this. If my opinion counts, Id restore the chassis and running gear and keep the body/paint original for as long as possible. I think youll get to the point where you are just about to take the DA to it and rethink things. I would anyway.

24. I agree.

Keep the original lettering on the doors and paint the rest.

25. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

26. TwinH

TwinH
    from Finland

Gongrats on a great find. It´s great that you have a chance to talk to the original builder/owner. Very cool pickemup!

27. mercjoe

mercjoe

very very nice.

28. nice find !! are you gonna race it???

29. fitzee

fitzee

Man I love History!!

30. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I am so jealous................. I thought I had a cool "find" until I saw this. Tough call, restore it to the way it was or put the mechanicals back in shape and run it the way it is? Either one would be cool. Have to say though after seeing the color pic of it at speed back in the day I'd lean real hard to toward restoration to it's former glory. Maybe hang new doors on it though and keep the originals "as is" and display them with the truck. That was one cool little pickemup back when. :cool: