Register now to get rid of these ads!

60s Vans making come back?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I have always liked the old vans as my dad and uncles had them,but for years you just didnt see any interest in them, but now I am starting to see one or two pop up at shows etc..............and to be honest they have sparked my interest.
    Where is the van band wagon? got pictures?

2. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

i guess i would never wait around to jump on any bandwagon

if you have interest in them, that is all you need ,where "the bandwagon" is don't matter

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Note: sarcasm was was intended to be humorous..............got any van pics?

4. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

one of the editors for 'truckin has been pushing for them...but not much success. there a few cool van websites out there, the van guys are still around, they are just way underground.
    My favorite was a ford called "trans am van" sectoined, not chopped , and set up like a trans am racer. The other was a ford that a guy did chopped, and sectoined , whole thing was under 5 feet tall! just looked super cool.
    I've been eyeing a 79 ford van just down the street from me, no rust, no windows in the back or sides, I've got a sawazall, and a camaro subframe.... maybe a mid mounted big block? ...... just dreaming...

5. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

yet again sombody needs to show me how to post pics, I have a copy of van show world from the 70's
    By the way are we going to get in trouble for talking about vans on a traditional hot rod website?

6. wyoming

wyoming
    from My house

my first ride 67 chevy [​IMG]

7. wvenfield

wvenfield

They were everywhere. Much like old show trikes they all just dissapeared. I love them.

8. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

here's mine... 1966 chevrolet sportsvan, she was sold off to some bloke in england of all places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. scrape

scrape

this van is owned by david guymon...

Attached Files:

10. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I've always wanted one, a friend of mine down in Florida had an old customized dodge van that he junked last year because he couldn't sell it, it was his daily driver and there was nothing wrong with it.

11. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

A famous van back in the '70's was aptly called "Vangina"..was featured in 2-3 mags.

My neighbor had a 65 Ford van back in 74-75-was pretty neat.

12. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

Mid-engine '62 VW Bus. Probably the coolest ever, IMO.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thintin likes this.
  13. guiseart

guiseart

[​IMG]

Seriously, I like 'em... always wanted a windowless GMC version of an early 60's van... someday. Buy them up if you see them, they are starting to rise in popularity and cost.

14. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

15. Notorious

Notorious

I had a '63 Econoline in the mid '70s, in my most serious "hippie" days. I'm almost sure I had some good times in it..... :rolleyes: ;)
    That SOB had a 3 speed and a six that I'm guessing must have been the smallest available. That mofo got such good mileage that I suspect it was actually manufacturing gasoline as it went down the road.

16. Brad B

Brad B
    from Nor Cal

Old Vans are "Vantastic"

17. Why not 70's vans!!!!:p

Attached Files:

18. i was looking for a dodge a-100 without windows (panel van) before i found my panel truck.....the van pick-ups are cool too.

Attached Files:

• a100.jpg
      a100.jpg
      File size:
      17.6 KB
      Views:
  19. Big Somoan

Big Somoan

Check out Vannin website.... I had a custom astro awhile back, I have found a couple of early vans that I am trying to buy now

20. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I've always wanted to build a 60's Econoline Pick up, chopped, lowered, sectioned, mid engined, 2 driving rear axles, and a bunch of other shit. My uncle in missouri has an A100 Pick up he turned into a 4x4 mud bog truck, pretty bitchin'. I wish there were more vans around here.

21. I want an A-100 with the windows!!!

22. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I so plan to build a 70s van at some point. In the 70s as a kid there was a van down the street with some pimp looking guy on the side twirling a pocket watch with the text...keep on trucking or something like that.

23. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

It's a funny concept...I do like those weird old vans...in a weird way- I think "CHiP's introduced me to their hidiousness, since they wrecked one in almost every episode... but I like them now, even though they look at me and say "my former owner was a child molester, a TV repairman, or a bank robber!" Creepy to me even now...but in a good way. :eek:

24. A lot of you young guys are here because of a van in the 70's:p
    I had a 63 Ford Econoline with carpet and a 64 Dodge with a bed in it back in high school. Both had those vents on top to let the smoke out. I still have a place in my heart for them.:D

25. ozbumpkin

ozbumpkin

G'Day all here's a pic of my 1960 Commer Cob Van its not typical of the van's in the U.S. but hey we didn't get van's like the U.S. ones here in Australia.

Attached Files:

26. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I had a 73 Econoline.
    Used a solid sliding side door to fill in the back for a smooth look and swapped the front and rear big pattern axle assemblies for small pattern sets off a parts van I bought.
    Made a moulded steel hood scoop from steel rod and sheet metal...small and clean, not big and ugly. Got a lot of favorable comments!
    Put on 70's and 60's mounted to 14" chrome slots to bring it down a bit...but NO flares.
    Did it as a custom/camper inside.

Had a plan to use an early 60's Dodge pickup grille, mounted upside down and moulded to give the front an evil look. Unfortunately the old truck disappeared from the scrapyard and I couldn't find another.

I liked that thing.
    They're sorta like the lost connection to 50's customization.
    If you leave the flare/visor kits, bubble portholes and bubble sunroofs off them, you can use every Custom trick you can thimk of and it doesn't look out of place at all.

27. old beet

old beet

60s vans making come back? Should'nt be that hard, as much as we put into them! Didn't know there was a market............OLDBEET

28. Stoner

Stoner

Frisco representin'!

STONER

Attached Files:

29. rebstew187

rebstew187

member of the car club I'm in, Steve Vickers 66 Ford. 4" chop with a roller 302. this thing will fly. looks like a big brick flying by at 100+ mph on the highway. fellow HAMB'er getting his pic taken next to it at the Cinematics
    [​IMG]

30. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Best Van Ever!!!

It was on ebay...Man if I had the cash that bitch would be in my driveway..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.