Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT. On being in tune

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Since there are most likely as many musicians on the HAMB as BMXers or skaters I thought I'd share this tidbit:

Want World Peace? Tune Your Damn Guitar!
    By David B. Moye on 16 August, 2007 10:17:00

SANDPOINT, Idaho (TNA) * The solution to world peace may be as simple as tuning your guitar or piano.

At least that's the theory of Dr. Leonard Horowitz, a dentist in Sandpoint, Idaho, who is convinced that out-of-tune musical instruments are destroying DNA.

Horowitz says that ever since the Middle Ages, musical instruments have been tuned to a slightly different cycle than they should be. For instance, a 'Middle C' is tuned to 523 cycles per second when it should be set at 528 cycles per second.

"This Middle C is the middle of the universe," Horowitz said. "It's the center of the color green in the rainbow and the center of the heart chakra."

A five cycle per second difference may seem insignificant, but Horowitz claims the out-of-tune frequency degrades the water that surrounds the DNA in each cell.

As a result, he says humans have felt a lot more stressed and unnerved since, say, the Renaissance, and aren't in harmony with their surroundings.

Even worse, Horowitz claims the changing of the tones has led to "a dumbing-down of intelligence."

Horowitz says the problem started when the Roman Catholic Church supposedly lost the original Gregorian chants and, since then, human DNA has degraded with each generation.

Another effect that the out-of-tune instruments have had on culture has been an increased focus on rhythm over melody.

"People want to get back to nature, so they seek it through rhythm," Horowitz said. "But it¹s missing the melody and that's the divinity."

This lack of harmony sounds terrible, but there is hope.

Horowitz claims that if all musicians and instrument manufacturers went back to the old tuning cycle, there would be immediate positive benefits. He points to the reaction of fans of New Age guitarist Scott Huckabay as proof.

"[Huckabay] tunes his to the 528 cycle and I¹ve seen healing at his concerts," Horowitz said. "One woman came up to me at the end and said she was crying while he played, but said the music cured her severe heart palpitations. She had felt like she wanted to die, but, at the concert, her heart opened up and stopped her arrhythmia."

Horowitz discusses his sound theories in a new book, "LOVE: The Real DaVinci CODE" (Tetrahedron LLC), and believes the information proves beyond a doubt that humans are "digital bio-holographic crystallization manifestations of divine frequency vibration manifesting in a quantum field."

To hear the tone that Horowitz claims will heal the world, visit http://web.mac.com/len15/iWeb/Newsl...oup/FB1E8165-6DBD-41DD-9203-9A9FA33E3488.html

2. 47bob

47bob

Interesting subject . Personally i'll take the sounds of a twelve cylinder Farrari going through the the gears. .....Bob

3. Mr. Creosote

Mr. Creosote

You can tune a guitar... But you cant tune a fish....

4. pitman

pitman

Pretty cool there Chili! Music of the spheres. Just how do those butteryflys landing in the Orinoco river cause your Hammond B3 to play pentatonic scales anyway?:p

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

No worries man, the power of pyramids and crystals protects me from out-of-tune guitars

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Chili,

And all this time I thought it was "The Bigotry of Low Expectations"

Oh, what's a BMXer? Is that someone who pays people, good money to take a dump on 'um?

7. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

So you like REO Speedwagon Mr Creosote. I remember that album sadly

8. old beet

old beet

That explains why them tunner cars, sound like fingernails on a blackboard.

9. They say theres a fine line between genius and insanity!

10. Road Runner

Road Runner

...and once it's crossed, you can't get back.:eek:

I'm afraid it's gonna take a little more to obtain world peace, but an interesting theory.
    I make instruments for a living and would suggest the 'correct' tuning for strings is always the one you feel like at the time when playing solo.
    In a group just find a tuning everybody agrees with at the time.

What I like about record players is fine tuning the speed and slightly altering the pitch and feel of the music sometimes.

Baroque violins had less string angle/pressure on the top and instruments were tuned lower in pitch and sounded more relaxed compared to modern uptight and bright steel strings.

There is nothing like music.
    Everything about life is energy in rhythm of various frequency waves.

11. slow64

slow64
    from MB, Canada

ummm, the guy's a dentist...

Wonder if he's considered how the pneumatic whine of his tools affects his own cells?

12. Roadrunner, the late steel player in my old band had perfect pitch. We had to let him fine tune all the stringed instruments before we could record or even practice. It actually caused him physical pain to hear even one of us go out of tune. I wonder what the true freq was when he was finally happy. I did NOT envy his ear. While we always sounded best when he was satisfied with our tuning, the music sometimes lost its fun and spontanious groove from the constant messing with the guitars.

I think it's no mistake that when everything is working together in any machine it's called being in tune.

And world peace? We HAMBers can't totally agree on the concept of Traditional! ha ha

13. Road Runner

Road Runner

Oh yes, perfect pitch is quiet torturous to many musicians.... trying to get there can ruin a perfect moment or an entire performance.

I think if you have perfect pitch it's less about getting a precise freq. number. But if you have the right tuning, the music can have such power, you just want to feel it at the fullest.
    The problem with many musicians I have met is they believe everything must be absolute and perfect, before they can play at all.

I just believe perfection follows the pure desire of creating music.
    If one truly enjoys it - one may call it perfection, if one must...

My favorite musicians are always the ones who play like only the sounds they actually are making matter.
    Music of the soul.

14. Mr. Creosote

Mr. Creosote

Actually.... 261.625hz is middle C... 523hz is one octive above.....

And I just remember the name of the album... I never owned any REO..

15. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

I'll dig my foil hat out of the closet.

16. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

after being a guitarist for 40 years and tuning pianos for a living before turning to trucking, NOTHING drives me fuckin crazy faster than to hear guitars out of tune with each other or with another instrument even from pros. Even Mr. Garcia had his moments early on and I just can't stand to listen to early Dead stuff because of it.

17. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

I'm sportin' mine right now!

18. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

My father has been a luthier(instrument builder) for 30 years now...so naturally i've played guitar since i was a little guy.

I have the dreaded obsessive compulsive disorder with instruments being in tune....it truly is a curse.

I still think perfect pitch is the sound of an accordian hitting a banjo in a dumpster though......:)

19. Yeah Chili-Phil...
    No wonder Im feelin low....
    Drop D tuning will get ya low....:D
    I have played since 1966 and one day Ill learn how and learn the meaning of the factoids in your post too,maybe...I am in agreeance.....nothing sounds worse than anything that is out of tune wether it be a guitar or an engine.....or a human life.:cool:

20. tdoty

tdoty

Bet Hendrix is lots of fun for ya :D

Tim D.

21. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

So whats the true gap on an RJ12 Y in a 55 235?

22. what about all of us that tune to e flat?
    will we all burn in hell for it?
    wait a minute .
    that could explain why hendrix and stevie ray died mysteriosly?...hmmm...?

23. been at the music biz for over 45 years steady....if you're just jammin, pick somebody and tune up to them. Actually that works pretty much most of the time...but tuning to a tuner works about as good as long as EVERYBODY ('cept the drummer) tunes up to the same tuner notes. It dont gotta be real complicated to sound real good.....