Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cleaning white vinyl seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by double nickel, May 15, 2007.

1. seat1.JPG

seat2.JPG So I picked up some seats out of a 67 Montego at the local boneyard for 50 bucks, a bench and a back seat. No rips but man are they dirty, I hope to clean them up good enough to use in my driver. I was going to use good old fashioned degreaser from Costco, scrub them with a really stiff brush and then pressure wash them. Any suggestions?

2. drock6570

drock6570

start out with simple green. start off with just towels or soft rags, use a medium to soft brush for the tough stuff, then vinyl conditioner. Make sure you post the before and afters!!

3. Duck

Duck
    from Pasco, WA

I dunno about your really dirty seats, but the Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser" worked well on my mildly dirty white vinyl. Just don't rub too hard.

-Duck

4. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I'll second the Magic Erasers. I cleaned some extremely dirty white vinyl seats and they look almost as good as new.

Bill

5. SIMPLE GREEN! I had bone leather seats in my minitruck, and that was the only thing that would clean them.

6. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

i just used scubbing bubbles on mine. worked real good.

7. You know I use the Magic Eraser all the time but didn't even think about using them on this- Great idea.

If the fabric doesn't come clean what are some thoughts on dying it black? Anyone done it? Does it come off on your clothes?

8. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Scrubbing bubbles...that's about all we use to clean seats.

9. budd

budd

i have had white seats that were died black and in no time they looked like hell, the die cracked and you could see the white under and it would rub off on girls white cloths, i do use one trick to soften up old vinyl and thats rattle can paint remover, spray a cloth and whipe them down, dont use to much and they will be soft as new.

10. Was that a full size Merc they came from? If it was that is a one year Canada only model as the midsize Montego came out in 1968.

11. johnny boracho

johnny boracho

409...cleans everything!!

12. Could be mistaken on the year, it was on the window of the car.

13. Squablow

Squablow

If the white part is really stained up bad and it doesn't come clean with Simple Green, Westley's Bleach White will make them white again, the same stuff you use to brighten up whitewall tires. It's kinda harsh but it works when nothing else does.