Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rant SHIPPING!!! with questions !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kona Cruisers, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

I live in hawaii. WHY do people not want to ship here? I mean board members pretty much saying..."Shipping extra" in their add. if I am paying the shiping then why wont you ship it here? UPS/Fedex/usps DOSENT CARE!!! well unless its a flamable (then I understand) but say an Item such as a rim if your puting it in a box and are willing to ship on the mainland? why does it mater where it goes? some people might have the attitude well it isnt "worth" shipping to there becuase of the cost. WELL dosent the BUYER determin the value? I unno I guess If people dont want my money thats fine... but again UPS FEDEX and USPS dont care, I dont mind paying the charge, IT IS THE SAME COUNTRY!! (no customs...) why do these people care??? people hawaii everything that old is GONE. RUST is evil here and I cant find old restorable parts!

anyone with answers as to why???

rant .. off.

2. tomslik

tomslik

beats me, as long as the buyer is paying shipping,wgaf....
    btw, i sent a 500" caddy to alaska a few years ago, think it cost him a couple hundred but he arrange trucking/shipping...

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Matson OWN all shipping to the islands! Sorry

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

You need to move to the U.S.

You would be surprised at how many people don't know that W.V. isn't simply the western part of Virginia.

5. I have shipped stuff to Hawaii before as well as Australia,Chile,Puerto Rico,Alaska and the U.K. I have yet to have a problem! What pisses me off is the Ebay sellers that refuse to ship across the border into Canada!

6. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Like when the Atlanta Olympic operator told the people in New Mexico that they'd have to contact their local country to buy tickets?

I'll ship anywhere if you're paying for it. Who cares? Box the stuff up just don't expect it to go Greyhound.

Canada is amazing! I just sent a stupid 54 Chevy horn ring to a HAMBER. Cost him equal for shipping and then when it got there they wanted another $19 for brokerage fees! Its a $20 HORN RING!

7. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

I've shipped stuff in the past. Here's my deal. My shipping cost are sometimes fixed price for the US. HA and AK shipping cost are additional to those costs because they do cost more. HA is part of the US so you just need a disclaimer that says "continental US" or "lower 48". Heck, I'll ship to anybody that has a dollar to pay me. I've had some fun with it too. Had a guy in Finland pay in whatever money they had back before the Euro. Gave it to the kids and they still have it. Little history lesson for them.
    You can see the rates for shipping at United States Post Office web site @ USPS.com Use a shipping starting origin like 48917 and ship to LA or Dallas. Then try your zipcode and see the diffierence.

8. Ol'Sarge

Ol'Sarge

I was born and raised in Hawaii. I know your pain!I live in Germany now. A lot of companies will not ship to an APO (American Post Office). Hell shipping is only to New York and the military pays the rest.I don't get it either.

9. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

We ship all over the world. Only hassle is filling out the customs paperwork. Luckly my wife has plenty of experience with that at her regular job. Only problem we have is the size of our packages. Our insulation is in 4 foot long rolls due to some postal regs in some countries we have to cut it half and ship 2' long rolls. we regularly ship to Canada, Australia, England, Puerto Rico,(which is a US teritory) and we've shipped to Greece Italy and Japan. Lots of APO addresses too. We usually add a couple of bucks for filling out the extra customs paper work but hey, If we want to make a business out of this we cant be choosy.

10. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I'll tell you why I won't ship to Hawaii. First of all have you ever had your toes turn blue from cold while you were running a snowblower? Ever had a tornado blow away your garage with your ride in it and never see them again. Ever see a mosquito that can stand flat footed and breed a chicken? I didn't think so. All you have is beautiful weather ,pig roasts 365 days a year ,miles of beaches !

Seriously, I think the same people that don't understand about Hawaii are the same ones that can't count your change back or that know where eggs come from.

Best of luck.

11. brandon

brandon

hey , you want to pick up some wheels for me in wahami (sp) .....that were supposed to have been shipped a few years back....then showed up on e bay at the end of last year....pm me and i will send you his name.....and i will ship anything you need to hawaii......:D brandon

12. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Sorry... I was laughing my effin ass off over this one. Ummm.... Hawaii is PART of the U.S. I had to ask my 7 year old to make sure, though.

I used to run a small business on Ebay awhile back, and shipping - for the most part - IS more expensive to Hawaii and Alaska. Even though they are part of the US, even the US military treats them as if they are a foreign country!

I would ship anything to anywhere in the world. As long as I get paid in good ole' American greenbacks, I'll sell anything. In fact, everything I have is for sale at the right price.... wife, kids, cars, house.... ex-wives.....

If you ever have any issues with shipping, or have a problem with anyone not wanting to ship to you, have'em ship it to me. I'll just change the "SHIP TO" label to reflect your name and address, then send it your way - you just pay the shipping.

For seller's who don't want to ship over to you, tell'em "Well, I was going to offer $XXXX.xx for it, but since you don't want to ship, I'll take my business elsewhere." That'll fix'em!

13. You're painting with with a broad brush here...I've shipped parts to many states and countries and I'd imagine a lot of guys have. If the buyer is paying shipping, I don't care where it goes.

Sometimes buyers are aware of the nuances of shipping to his/her area of the world. Case in point...I sold a shifter and linkage to a guy in Finland. He suggested marking my package "gift" (which all the ladies already know :rolleyes:)...I guess it saved him some cash at customs.

Bryan

14. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

I ship all over the world. Flat Rate is your friend on small stuff

15. lewislynn

lewislynn

16. luckydevil

luckydevil

What parts are you looking for? If I have them I'll ship to you no problem.

17. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I ship all over the world....I have no problem with it, in fact, I have become acquainted with some really terrific rodders in places like Australia, Finland, France, England, Norway, Sweden (the Scandinavian guys really know how to rock)......

As long as I get paid in US Dollars I have no problem shipping anywhere.....even that foreign country, Hawaii! ;^)

Brucie

18. 59NASH

59NASH

I know exactly what you are going through. I live in Alaska and trying to get some people to ship here is a pain in the ass. On the other hand I talk to other guys and they have absolutely no problem with it.

Flat rate is my friend.

19. UPS and FedEx tend to rip us off on brokerage fees when shipping to Canada. Ship USPS, they only charge a flat $5 brokerage fee if anything at all.

20. Rckt98

Rckt98

You guys will apreciate the cost involved building a car back home (New Zealand) when we have to import alot of the parts from the US. We just grin & bear it. Anything over a certain $ value we have to pay duty on as well as the cost of shipping.

21. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recieve shipments ( car parts, what else?) from the US about every other week and never had any trouble with shippers,only with customs. I try to tie a few orders together to one shipment to save some of the costs and it worked out great until now.
    But never ship overseas by UPS, yes they are quick, but prices for overseas are through the roof.

22. Hey Kiwi's...dont you just love that GST!...for us living in the USA (im a kiwi)..thats sales tax...when i was last in NZ it was at 12.5%...."hows you like them apples!"...fucking NZ govt would steal the saddle of a nightmere if they could..anything sent to NZ costing over $400 is charged GST .but getting back to the shipping thing here in the USA...Hey...i'll ship it to the moon if they asked and pre paid the costs...lol
    John in AZ...from ChCh

23. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

For the Canadian guys...if you live near the U.S. border try to get a friend on the U.S. side near the border. I live right at the border and I have several car buddies in Canada. they have all their stuff sent to my address and come over and pick it up; I never know when a box will show up on my porch with goodys in it! It gives us a chance to get together and B.S. while they install the new parts on their cars...

24. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Langy wanted some Zodiac. They wouldn't ship out of the US. He sent it to me, I forwarded it on. He covered the cost and it was fine. There was a fee in the UK but he wasn't too upset by it. Still cost him about half of the $65/yard they wanted over there.

For the most part, I'd say HAMBers will let you do what Belchfire8 talks about, ship it to him and act as a staging area. Too many want to be asses about it, let them. Ship it to a buddy and have him forward it on!

I'm on my way to meet someone up here from Georgia for Easter. I've got car parts for him to take back to Lavonia! Too bad they are for work not play...

25. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

If you ship to Canada you have to go to the post office and get a price before the bidder will bid, the web site is no where close to accurate. The address has be in the exact order on the box or envelope or it comes back, it takes forever to get there and the buyer hassles you over it like its your fault, you tell them you need an international money order and they dont send one so you cant cash it and have to send it back. Any more questions? Do a few like that and it aint worth the hassle, nothing personel, now you know why

26. The only thing I can add to the original post is this: having shipped to both HI & AK, as well as out of the U.S., we've been questioned/hassled by buyers residing there as to why the (our) shipping rates are so high. Like we are padding them or something.

Two typical scenarios for you:

Someone in Hawaii buys a part off eBay. They want the shipping charges. You go to FedEx or UPS online & give them the quote.

1) "Why's it so much? That's a damn ripoff! There's no f'n way..." etc., etc.

Well, I charge EXACTLY what the shipper quotes me. I will try other places when it's possible, assuming it's practical & sort of close. I don't charge for boxing, packing, handling, or anything else....& I'm willing to explain all that...and do...so I get kind of annoyed when I get that sort of response. I don't set the rates. I will try DHL or even Greyhound if asked, if it's convenient. Some- not all- people outside of the lower 48 apparently believe that the shipping rates should be just as cheap. I can't solve that one. :)

2) The buyer is OK with the charges...so I go to the actual DEPOT and get hit with a larger charge. Sometimes there's an explanation (or a mistake on my part, sure...not so much nowadays), and sometimes not...but the BUYER paid in good faith. He/she deserves their product. So, I end up eating the cost. Last time this happened was FedEx, on a pair of Corvette rocker trims. (oversize...which I indicated online...exact box dimensions & weight). $20.00 more at the dropoff location. Ouch. So I sent them USPS for LESS than my original quote & refunded the difference to the buyer.

That's not to say that all this doesn't happen when shipping in the lower 48, but it seems to be much more common when shipping to AK or HI. We'll still do it, but I understand why others won't. Just my $.02. :)

27. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I used to live in Hawaii for a short while and it's a pain getting stuff from the mainland.
    I sell the occasional item on the HAMB or e-bay and I don't care where it goes, as long as I get paid for it.

28. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

One thing I forgot, you want us to lie on the custom forms about the price {make it a gift} on top of having to fill them out. Im disabled and its a long way to the post office, UPS will pick up at my house. Like I said its nothing personal and I mostly sell Japanese motorcycle parts anyway not car parts. It only takes one butt head bitching about the shipping costs and time to screw it up for everyone else too. I no longer ship out of the US, I will ship to Alsaka or Hawaii as long as you know about the additional cost. Ive had people bitch about the 25 cents difference between my scale & the post offices like Im going to buy a new Vette with the money. Im sorry, you asked the question and I answered it truthfully.

29. Play400

Play400

Personally I don't see the problem. Must be a lot of stupid people out there like in the UPS or Fed- Ex commercial who can't fill out a simple form or pick out the right colored MO. I bought some stuff off Ebay and didn't realize it was coming from Hawaii at first because the stated shipping costs were "normal". I'm in Canada 50 minutes from border so I use a US parcel service to take advantage of free US shipping or cheaper US freight rates. I am fortunate to have an International UPS depot in town and I clear my own stuff if I have it shipped in Canada. Other than that USPS is toooo slow with customs taking up to a month but Fed-Ex is cheap. mtkawboy you're not the fellow that recently sold a set of 10" set of Cragar's on Ebay a month or so ago? Had to get a buddy to bid for me. tsk tsk. A lot of people in Billings feel like you do?????

30. 5window

5window

Yeah,even West Virginia. John Denver's song,Almost Heaven, describes western Virginia(Blue Ridge Mountains) not WVA , but what's the state's motto?. I lived in Ritchie County for 10 years and we didn't know where we were either.