Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old time car clubs you knew as a kid(greybeards)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CruZer, Nov 21, 2003.

1. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

In North Eastern Ct.and near by Mass.
    Danielson Ct. the Aristocrats plaque was tophat ,cloth glovesand fance walking stick
    Putnam Ct. the Hot Sparks their plaque was a sedan with a large spark plug running vertically through the car
    I was a junior member of them in 68-69 when they disbanded I have since tracked down and purchased our A/Altered coupe and I'm planning on restoring it
    In Webster Mass New Era
    there was a second club in webster are but I forget the name at the moment {I am a greybeard after all}
    Another club from the 50s in Putnam Ct. is the Checkers I only reciently found out about this club it was before the Hot Sparks they may have both existed at the same time for a short while the Hot sparks starting up near the end of the Checkers.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
    Slammedf100 likes this.
  2. How about the Tyrods?

3. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

From My Dad's scrapbook
    [​IMG]

4. k9racer

k9racer

Several from the Alabama area from the 50s and early 60s.. In Birmingham the Sportsman Hot Rod Club. The Black Widows who in 1956 built and operated the Lassiter Mountain Drag strip. still in operation as of this year by other intrest.. A African American Club called the War Horses. They did a lot of street racing. Then The club called Rods from Mountainbrook. In Huntsville The Coachmen Who built a Drag strip in 1958 { still in operation} Orignally called Monassis now called Huntsville Dragway. If I can recall more I will add to post.

5. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

When I was a kid (early 60's) I met a few of the Motor Monarchs of Ventura.They were older guys--like in their 20's!!! I became good friends with Dave Marquez--his 32 roadster was on the cover of Hot Rod in July 1956. I ended up as his co-driver of his off-road team in the 80's. I've included a pic of Dave racing Ron William's 29 roadster--the one in the new Rodder's journal.Just beford Dave died, he came by my house and GAVE me his original Motor Monarch plaque. He says "put it on a car someday". It's one of the most cherished items I have--he was a good friend---

Attached Files:

6. In Detroit in the fifties I belonged to the "Trompers" car club.
    Then, I belonged to the "Blockbusters" in Clearwater, FL. They ran the Golden Triangle drag strip.

7. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

The Seattle Kustom Klub was the first hot rod club in Washington. We got started in 1947. The only requirement was, you had to own a race car of some kind.
    We still have reunion meetings a couple times a year.
    At least 3 of us are still racing.
    Pete

8. I lived 5 houses down from a guy in the East LA Imperials. Johnny's '50 Ford was build from paycheck to paycheck, 'til it became a pretty nice mild custom. It has functional lakes pipes, a '53 pontiac grill bar under a '51 Ford surround, frenched head and tail lights. He painted it a copper metalic. Had '57 lancer caps and Appletons. I moved away before he got the interior done, but I know it was gonna be whte with copper piping. That car made my tastes what they are today. This was from '56-'58. In the early sixties I was a founding member of the Barons of So Antelope Valley. We were abunch of jerks and had a terrible reputation. Most of us did some jail time for racing and other anti-social behavior. Just like 40studedude says, we fought a lot in those days. Now I'm a Viper. We ain't greybeards, our beards are WHITE.

9. Oh and, back in the sixties in the Antelope Valley (Lancaster, CA) a guy named Don Van Vliet ran with a bunch of reprobates and troubled youths called the Topos. True hoodlums, they were. He went on to be known as Captain Beefheart. Ever heard of him?

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the only club I remember as a kid was the "Nor Cal Early Irons" .. they had a logo with one of those old timey irons you had to put on the stove to heat up. this was in the 70's in or around Fremont Ca.

11. My dad's old club,the Piston Pushers,Brantford Ont. Canada 1955? and counting

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  12. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

We started the ARISTOCRATS in 1959 there were 12 of us at the start. Sad to say only 10 left. That might be a high ratio because we are all over 65 now.
    We had our yearly breakfast last tuesday 8 showed up. We counted the hot rods and customs we could remember that the group had at one time or another and lt was over 60. There are only 4 of us still active today,
    2, 32 Ford three windows, 1, 41 Lincoln , 1 ,57 chevy half ton. One of the three windows has been owned by the same guy since 1962.
    It is amazing how clear our recall is on these car things and events.
    Blaine

13. hey in west oz the was only a couple of clubs out bush one was the smokers- not for tyres but cuz every engine burned oil and the where known for stealing truck engines. Spoke to one of the old members in the pub "there where 3". he told me a few yarns but would tell me crap what happened to the cars.

14. ol fueler

ol fueler

Do you also perhaps remember the "Dragging Diplomats" from KC , Mo.? 1957 or so.
    There were about 25 of us ,the oldest guy about 30 , most of the rest 16-22 . We all had some kind of hopped up or custom car. Mine was a Jimmie powered 47 Chev ragtop. The Club built & ran a fuel Chrysler Hemi rail.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Back in the 60's in Fullerton, Ca the real cool dudes belonged to the Pioneers. I belonged to the Vulcans (before Mr Spock on Star Trek).
    Cool times!! Now belong to the Jalopy Jokers.

16. cruzr

cruzr

Biggest around when i was a kid in Orange County

Attached Files:

17. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Mid-late 50's, Motivators Westmont, Illinois and Strokers, Chicago. Got a good buddy, couple of years older, that was in both and designed the Strokers plate. Near as we can tell he's the only one left from the Strokers but there a few Motivators still around. Got permission to run the Stokers plate.
    Should anyone that was in the Strokers be on here, please let me know. Also we're still looking for former members who might want a new plate as O'Brien has the patterns for both.

18. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Back in the 50s the Lehigh Valley Timing Assoc. was a big club in Allentown PA. In 2005 we held a 50th reuion of our first drag race, I was president in 55, a bunch of us still meet for breakfest once a month and are trying to restart the club. Finally a club I'm not the oldest member

19. Gasser57

Gasser57

The Choppers Hot Rod Assiciation of Cleveland, Ohio. Meeting weekly since 1956. Many wild rods, customs and famous dragsters have come from the older members of this bunch. Still do today.

Attached Files:

20. tex34ford

tex34ford

Piston Riders of Penn Hills, PA. Started in about 1954, lasted until the mid '60s. This is my original plaque that is mounted on the back of my current ride a '34 Ford Cabriolet.

Attached Files:

• 34pr.JPG
      34pr.JPG
      File size:
      49.7 KB
      Views:
  21. OLLIN

OLLIN

I was born and raised in santa monica.
    I was haning out with Monk from the "Old Timers" West L.A. at Teddy's diner on thursday. He is also a west L.A. native and went to Uni High. He was telling me about how he ran 120 mph. at el mirage in '49 with a bored out merc flathead. He is the real deal. He was telling me about Jack Engle and Ed Iskendarian, and how he knew a lot of the guys in the first issues of hot rod mag.
    He mentioned the T-timers and Low Flyers Hot Rod Club of Santa Monica, California.

22. Here's the Rev Masters from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin... 1962
    (my dad is 3rd from the right in the back row...)

[​IMG]

...AND...

Can anyone tell me where the Tri-Valley Speed Assn. was...?
    I bought this patch off of Ebay a few years ago and have always been curious...

[​IMG]

JOE:cool:

23. rixrex

rixrex

In the late 50s early 60s in San Antonio it was the Gear Grinders, still active, us kids with our hand-me-downs and stolen motorcycles were Los Diablos usually shouted with beery breath....

24. The Belleville Road Angels (Ontario, Canada)were started in 1956 (Jeff---I don't know what month). I first went to Belleville in 1965, and joined the club. This past summer, I attended their 50th "anniversary party" and had a great time, and the club is still going strong.---Brian

25. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thursday night at Teddy's (Pico and Bundy) is a delightful, low-key hangout for greybeards from the WLA/Santa Monica area. It's unusual if more than ten old cars show up, but some of them are excellent and there are a bunch of neat guys.

26. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

The Coachmen, Monticello IN. 1959
    We had a points system developed that to be able to join the club you had to have enough modifications to qualify as a hot rod or kustom to get in the club.

I still have some of the minutes of the meetings someplace. Not sure if I have the points system or not though. I have the plaque that was on my 55 Chevy and one that was never used. Heck, even found the original sales receipt for the plaques in a suitcase full of little books.
    Ol Blue

27. No recollection of any "Old Time" car club ... my father was always a "lone wolf" in the 50's & 60's ... But, in the 70's, he helped to form a new club in the SF Bay Area ... "NOR-CAL EARLY IRON":

Window decal:
    [​IMG]

Membership Card:
    [​IMG]

Club display at an indoor car show:
    [​IMG]

28. Kustomz

Kustomz

When I was younger and living in Kansas my brother was a member of the Street Fleet. They had a club garage to work on their cars. That was in the late 60's. I also remember as a kid I was always impressed with my Uncle Gary's old roadster and how cool it was when I was old enough to drive to be in a club called the Kansas Kustoms with him.

29. ARCHANGEL

ARCHANGEL

30. dadseh

dadseh

BOWMANVILLE Ontario CA 1962, it was the Chauffeurs Car Club