Register now to get rid of these ads!

Willys Gasser build pics....from the 60's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Dec 14, 2006.

1. RoyalShifter..........Can't remember, I think I started with coarse and then went to fine.

This was the first time out, Antique nats at OCIR. Don't remember how it ran.
    [​IMG]

caseyajones likes this.
  2. Pat ran it in red oxide primer for a while and then sold it to Hank who painted it red. Vic bought it from Hank and basically rebuilt it. It still has this paint job today under its "Bad News" lettering. Hope someone will post a pic of how it looks today, I don't have a good one. Here it is at a cruise night at Char West.....
    [​IMG]

caseyajones likes this.
  3. jimbob

jimbob

:cool: Great thread, keep em comin.

4. CalGasser

CalGasser

Here's what the car looks like a couple years ago. It now has Hilborn scoop and two port injection. A couple of previous owners were Pat King and Henry Wehr of Auto Sport Engineering in Santa Barbara. I was fortunate enough to trace all the owners back to the person who brought the car to Santa Barbara in the late 50's. Car currently resides in Camarillo, CA for almost past 20 years. Kiwi Kev did a lot of work on this car, especially welding and aluminum work. (hope picture comes out)

Attached Files:

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  5. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

Very neat post, thanks for sharing!

6. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Hey Vic,
    You and Kev gotta come to the HAMB drags in May! Rumored to be in North West Phoenix.

--Jim

7. CalGasser

CalGasser

Keep us posted on this one Jim. Enjoyed the video on your 55. Hope to get mine running one day soon! Keep up the good work. Vic

8. damn kev!!!!! thanks so much for posting these pics!!!! cant explain the feeling i get from seeing these cars! they were my favorites, at the time my dad & his friends were building z28s, which were cool, but pat's willys was killer. i was always promissed a ride in that car but never got it. i never saw rays coupe in race mode, just heard about it. he still has it and races a 27 t roadster. lives kinda close to my grandparents. post any more pics from this era if you got them! do you have any pics of the race 34 autosport did? it used to go out to char west, it was john geyers, the same guys they built the gasser ranchero for that i now own. also if you have any pics of a tan & pearl white 55 chevy with americans, that is my grandpas car, he still have 4 dash plaques from the char west cruise on his car! my dad used to take us out there in either a turquise 67 z28, or a platinum road race style 71 z28, & later the bright yellow 65 el camino. more pics please!!!!!

9. I still have a dash plaque and also a poster but no pic of the poster....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  10. I found some cruise night pics but they have water damage. I had a box of photos that got wet, I hate to think what I lost in there.
    [​IMG]

11. Dave Carrol's 53 Vette drag car. It was cool to see, and hear it cruising upper State st.....
    [​IMG]

12. 0range + ???

Oh... 482ci OF VITAMIN Chevrolet

I get it! :)

Once again, Kev. Love your work!

EDIT: I just went through the rest of the pics.

Kev, you are fast becoming my hero! :)

In a manly, Aussie/Kiwi kind of way! :)

13. wow i dont know how i missed those last pics! that corvette is bad ass, & i think it still is raced today. awesome pics kev.

14. MADMILLER

MADMILLER
    from Las Vegas

sorry had to bring this back,this is one of the best threads i have seen, here is bad news at viva 07.

Attached Files:

15. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

This has to be one of the best threads ever.

16. Found some more pic's I took at the Char West cruise night, B&W this time......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Got to love those gassers

18. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Straight up race cars with plates on them:eek: CRAZY MAN just crazy. Too be able to drive then would have been boss! How long ago were these pictures take?

19. Pics are from the early 80's. I think they only drove them a block or 2. The plate on the back of the Fiat altered is actually from the Willys. They just rigged it up for the short trip. Pretty cool, I agree!

20. good stuff man. its funny, i can recognize alot of people in those pics!

21. racer756

racer756

Kiwi Kev,
    I still love this thread, YOU are the man!

22. jimbob

jimbob

That T roadster is the shit.:cool:

23. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I don't even know how many times I have read this thread and stared at these pictures. WOW!

24. that t is still around today, in the exact same configuration! it was built by seth hammond, but is now owned by matt. the headlights turn with the front wheels!

25. oh and that 34 roadster with the skinny americans, ran a chevy 409 & 4 speed for power!