Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Meyers Manx: A Reluctant Photo Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Hot Rods & Customs' started by Ryan, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Meyers Manx: A Reluctant Photo Thread

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Nice, I own some early aircooled VWs. They definitely have a place in American culture (dune buggy or otherwise) that you can’t say about other foreign cars.

Driver50x, WC145, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Oh man, don't get me started. I fucking love Dune buggies and have always had one until just about 10 years ago. It started back in the late 70's when my then wifes aunt gave me one that had been smashed up in her garage for years and not being repaired by her son. It was a Citation and the front was crashed pretty bad but I pieced it back together, and eventually painted it Corvette sunflower yellow. I drove it everywhere, These things are honestly like driving a go kart on the street, being 14 inches shorter than a bug they will rurn on a dime and they practically make gasoline...I had that buggy for about 15 years buggy1.jpg buggy2.jpg

Next is an "inchworm green" Meyers Manx that I bought at the Jefferson swap meet, It was genuine as proven by the serial tag on the body. not all of them had front and rear emblems. I sold this one to Guffey, he was trying to collect one of every color (I think there were 43 different colors?) He had something like 25 of them at one time but ended up selling them before getting one of each....
    manx1.jpg manx2.jpg

Then I had a Meyers Manx SR which was a really cool little sports car looking buggy, Meyers made these a little later. This one in particular was owned by Joel Rosen of Motion performance and was a magazine cover car
    sr1.jpg sr2.jpg

I owned another Sr but do not have a picture of it, I got both of them from Guffey.

Next is the Bugetta and it is probably the greatest buggy of all time in my opinion and I never should have sold it. Bugettas were built by Jerry Eisert racing enterprises. They were famous for building Indy cars in the 50's and 60's. This thing was built like an indy car, It had 6 pin drive wheels, Indy car coil overs, chrome moly a arms with spherical rod ends , Corvair engine. Man this thing handled like a racecar. It was serial number one of only about 12 factory built cars and was Jerrys personal car. I got it from Guffey and we both have been kicking ourselves for selling it ever since. bugetta1.jpg bugetta11.jpg bugetta22.jpg

Haha and just because this is a dune buggy thread here is a pic of my super dune Zinger clone zingerdune.JPG zingerz.JPG

4. rad red

rad red
    from MN

We had a dune buggy for one summer in the early 70's when I was still in single digits. I remember my 6'-2" dad folded over the steering wheel driving it and my mom freaking out he was going to get us all killed. I have vivid memories of the asphalt whizzing by only a few inches under my finger tips...

I also remember back in the day if you mentioned a VW here someone would always say "Hitler is laughing at you."

But f-'em. I love air cooled VWs and I always will! IMG_3129.jpg

OG lil E, WC145, guthriesmith and 8 others like this.
  5. I had one of those back in the early 70's... The kids loved riding in it! I had also built a Baja bug that the wife drove.. 457307-1364829944-569f328c91caec14bd7a89f73f2e51bb.jpg

OG lil E, bowie, Bandit Billy and 7 others like this.
  6. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

7. Silva

Silva

I have to admit, I've been a closet dune buggy fan since I was a kid... There always seemed to be a concentration of them at beach towns, in the 60's & 70's...
    Way to hit a dormant nerve Ryan!

8. Lepus

Lepus

For those that can't afford the real thing, there's the Cox gas powered toy. H4371-L267101154.jpg

OG lil E, SS327, pwschuh and 10 others like this.
  9. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

How about the Bitchenest ever Manx? The Steve McQueen one! Tony Nancy interior, Stewart Warner gages, ET wheels, Firestone Indy tires, etc...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    Nominal, OG lil E, Driver50x and 21 others like this.
  10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Strip everything about trying to classify or explain them and you're left with what they are at the core- fun. Those little buggies are fun to look at, fun to drive, fun to build. They have a lot in common with what we love about these dumb hot rods, you couldn't buy one off the showroom floor you had to make it. There's a ton of room for individuality and character. No two alike and all that jazz...

Where I grew up in Northern San Diego Hot Rod and VW culture ran parallel and it was impossible to separate. In fact it was weird for me when I saw the rest of the country and how many VWs there weren't! I just assumed lowered bugs were ubiquitous.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

This. In every possible way.

OG lil E, WC145, guthriesmith and 7 others like this.
  12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

Good god man... I don't think I've ever seen it in color. Same car as used in the Thomas Crow Affair, correct?

I'm off to find video.

Edit: Found:

1929rats, enloe, OG lil E and 17 others like this.
  13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That Thomas crown affair Manx sold at auction 3-4 years ago for 450,000 bucks or so.... that is a great car....

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

You guys are Weird.

16. Sharpone

Sharpone

IMG_2176.jpeg Didn’t every kid have one of these?
    Dan

17. Sharpone

Sharpone

IMG_2177.jpeg Mark can you actually drive these bad boys?
    Ah fuck the drooling started again!
    Dan

18. noboD

noboD

I have a '70 EMPI Imp waiting it's turn to be put back together.

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

no sir, they are just fancy engine stands....

enloe, OG lil E, WC145 and 5 others like this.
  20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

you just noticed that now???

enloe, OG lil E, Nostrebor and 12 others like this.
  21. Sharpone

Sharpone

I figured as much, they are cool! A v8 in a dune buggy would be kick ass if you could keep the transaxle together
    Dan

OG lil E and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

it is only 6 feet long, there is no room for a person to sit in it....

OG lil E, Tow Truck Tom and Sharpone like this.
  23. Or you could build the AMT kit, like I did (twice).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

enloe, OG lil E, SDhotrod and 9 others like this.
  24. raaf

raaf

@Dreddybear - Same for me! I remember slammed bugs with crazy camber, even chopped bugs and "cal" rubber white window seals. They were everywhere. We still have a few, but I probably only see about one per week.

I have always wanted a Manx - someday...

OG lil E, LSGUN, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

One thing I haven't owned but always wanted. Someone over on the west side of the state put a back yard full of them that were in need of a bunch of work up for sale on FB and I don't think the add stayed up for two days.
    Back in the 70's I had a customer in the shop I worked in who drove one as her summer car and drove the wheels off of it. We never worked on it but kept her family's fleet of late model vehicles up.

OG lil E, Deuces, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  26. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here’s the one I completely rebuilt back in 1998ish. What’s not to like? Mis-matched wheels, including black steelies up front, gigantic ‘Dick Cepek / Fun Country’ meats out back. I recall the 4 dowel pins that locate the flywheel on the crank had ‘egged-out’ the holes in the crank and the flywheel due to an improperly torqued crankshaft gland nut, which would normally render the crank and flywheel junk. Anyone who knows anything about VW’s knows that the performance crowd installs 4 additional dowels, so I must give slight credit to them for my idea of re-drilling in between the factory holes.
    IMG_3155.jpeg IMG_3156.jpeg

enloe, OG lil E, WC145 and 9 others like this.
  27. primed34

primed34

A friend's dad had one in the late 60's. As young teenagers we thought we were shitting in tall cotton when he gave us rides in that metal flake thing.

OG lil E, WC145, LSGUN and 3 others like this.
  28. Johnny99

Johnny99

Timely. Friend of mine has been feeding me old Hot Rod magazines he has picked from the free pile at garage sales, gave me this one last weekend. Late seventies high school buddy had a buggy, what a blast! Girls loved the thing! My favorite memory of that buggy, we went "wheeling" with a group of Jeep guys who had no faith in us being able to follow them, bad mouthed that buggy from the start, "you'll never make it". Scraped the pan a bit but we made it just fine. The best part, that trail was one way in turn around and go the same way out. We get to the end and there's a guy leaned up against the front of a beat Pinto wagon drinking a Rainer beer. How in the hell did you get up here? "Same way you Frs did". I'd love to do a buggy.

buggy1.jpg

OG lil E, Driver50x, WC145 and 7 others like this.
  29. when the going gets weird the weird turn pro !

I’ve owned a dozen or so air cooled vw’s and 1 Manx , painter British racing green , thin cracked fibreglass on a home built tube frame , duel port 1600 engine duel carb with stinger exhaust .

Got it for next to nothing from a customer who had it in his garage for years and wanted it gone , remove the engine , free up the clutch , clean the carbs and fuel system …. And beat on that thing like a government mule all summer !!!!!!
    Had a blast , no place to store it so sold it at the end of the season .
    Silly , unpractical, but buckets of fun for a shoestring budget ( at that time , not so much now )
    Real Manx buggies are worth a decent stack of nickels now !!

OG lil E, tractorguy, LSGUN and 2 others like this.
  30. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

huh. all of a sudden everyone likes vw's?

sure wasn't the tune I got when I was trying to share the story of my hot rod. ..

and its way cooler than any dune buggy ever dreamed.

[​IMG]

If you want the first half of the story, you can get it here:

A Historical Oddball

or, if you like to take it from someone else, and abridged, here's a version by the late Pat Ganahl:

THE MYSTERIOUS MINI-T

Nominal, TerrytheK, WC145 and 7 others like this.