Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical turn signals

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by wuga, Feb 14, 2024.

1. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If this hasn't happened to you, you haven't been driving your car. You're driving down the hiway and go to make a left turn. You flip the signal lever and discover a mile or maybe five miles down the road that your signal is still flashing because your clamp on signal switch isn't self cancelling. Chev's of the 40s were selling a clamp on unit that self cancelled but their supplier went tits up and not there is no more self cancelling turn signal switch. I'm not talking about guys who have installed an after market tilt column with all the bells and whistles. I am talking about my Model A column with that little clamp on chrome plastic box. The world is full of after market self cancelling add ons but they require two buttons for left and right and are aimed at the skidoo/motorcycle crowd. So do you just continuously annoy the guy behind you not to mention creating a dangerous situation or have you found the solution and installing an audible beeper is not a solution.
    Warren

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every one over 70 drives with their blinker on. It's traditional.

My Harley had self cancelling signals. I think they canceled after so many feet? I have no idea how but I always thought that was a cool feature.

Or an annoying light or beeper to alert you?

dana barlow, SS327, GordonC and 12 others like this.
  3. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

You can get a timer module on ebay. Use that to stop the flashing until you next remember to use the switch.

winduptoy and connielu like this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I installed a cheap “back up” beeper in my 50 pickup under the dash years ago. It would turn on when the turn signal was in use. Now a days on my other cars I just leave it on for miles. It just matches my gray hair moments to the populous.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
    SS327, choptop4, 29A-V8 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Trailer truckers ( 18 wheels and a dozen roses ) are trained and must cancel their signal, upon completing a turn, or lane change.
    Reason being that the maneuvering of a trailer around a corner will,
    at times, require cranking the wheel to the right, then the left, then right again.
    When I drive my 'four wheeler' now I am always aware of the signal switch position.
    Just a habit any one can learn.
    Apologies to anyone what needs 'em

6. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I have been thinking about this as a future Fred problem .... have a sigstat 900 and not wired in yet.

I remember back in the 70's they had some flashers that were obnoxiously loud CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK .... Anyone know of a particular brand that is like this?

7. I was gonna suggest a loud flasher but ya beat me to it. Mitch.

8. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Old school bi-metal & points vs today's solid state. They would blink faster the more watts you drew. The trailer got them going. I sold both kinds, late '70's-'80's.
    Mike
    Edit: "Thermal Flasher"

9. Brad Ley

Brad Ley

Whats a turn signal? I don't have any.

10. We were on a tour a few years ago. The guy in front of me, I'll call him Tim (cause that's his name), kept leaving his signal light on. I called him an old goof a few times that day. Then I left mine on for about 40 miles. Who's the old goof now ???

We all do it. Something that would time out after about 45 seconds sounds like a good idea.

Tow Truck Tom and gary macdonald like this.
  11. Whoamel

Whoamel
    from So Cal

I recently installed an original gauge set in my '40 ford. The aftermarket gauges had blinker indicators in them. I am currently driving it with no dash indicators, and I am much more aware now to check my signal arm to make sure it's off after I make a turn. I have an aftermarket column in it now, but I'm planning on getting a more original column that will require an old style add-on unit for the signals.

More than likely, I will return to being forgetful to check them..

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I put an add on blinker switch in my Crosley. A bulb in end of lever would flash when on, I thought I would remember any ways but no.. I finally filed the detent so I had to hold it on, that works fine!

13. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

14. Self-canceling turns have been around on bikes since the late '70s. The majority of them require an input from the speedo, then the 'magic box' does a speed/distance calculation to determine when to shut them off. So sitting at a light, they would stay on, then once you started moving it would shut them off depending on your speed. The problem with the Harley units is they required a specific load to operate (besides needing a calibrated input) because of its integrated flasher. The early versions with mechanical speedos used a mercury switch for output, the later ones with electronic ones used a generated signal.

These aren't really adaptable to cars as they all used momentary contacts for actuation.

15. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

For reasons above I will install small inocous markers on the dash and hope to pay attention to them.

winduptoy, Paul and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  16. Hotwyr

Hotwyr

I too have wired in buzzers for "older" customers. I had a Bugeye Sprite that had a rather large turn signal warning light right between the tach and speedo. Pretty hard to miss when it was flashing.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw a guy last summer that must have been using hand signals to make his turn and forgot to cancel them. His left arm was sunburned.

Junior Stock, SS327, winr and 15 others like this.
  18. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Guilty, :D most of the time I remember, but occasionally I don’t notice till someone goes roaring by and I get the salute :rolleyes:

19. You could get one of those old ones with the rubber wheel that rubs on the steering wheel hub.

Tow Truck Tom, RMR&C and mohr hp like this.
  20. chrisp

chrisp

I have a car where there's a spring that rolls around the steering shaft and is attached to the blinker arm, when you turn the wheel the opposite way of the blinker, the spring opposes a resistance and pull the lever back in neutral, simple and effective.

winr and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  21. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

That's what I use, Sparton from late 60's-early 70's postal Jeeps. Works great, but the wheel has to ride on the correct diameter hub under the steering wheel.

22. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

23. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I bought a buzzer TS flasher online. Only about 10 bucks and plugs in like regular blinker flasher. Very Irritating- but works!!!- Loud! In fact I taped over it to make it quieter- still loud.

24. gene-koning

gene-koning

Wait! I'm not suppose to do that until I'm 70? UT oh!

That is why I have my wife along. She is quick to tell me the turn signal is still on, sometimes even before I finish a turn.

I truck has self canceling signals. They don't always cancel either. I did install one of those LED flasher units with the ground wire, that sucker is much louder when its clicking the the "normal" flasher units on the market.

Tow Truck Tom and Bandit Billy like this.
  25. chrisp

chrisp

Now who forgets to turn off their headlights/driving lights after parking and go about their business because there's no chimes...

Tow Truck Tom and Bandit Billy like this.
  26. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

The one I built works pretty good. Turn left and the left Turn signals come on, turn to the right and right turn signals come on, go straight and no turn signals on. If you hit the brake pedal during a turn, the opposite side lights up for braking. All of this and no stalk from the steering column. Always cancels!

27. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, I think we have found the answer. I have looked at that self cancelling module suggested by 29 Gizmo many times but did not want to put momentary switches in to control it. But earlier seb fontana mentioned that he had ground the detent off so he had to hold the lever. Well, all I want is to hit the lever to close the contacts and then have the lever return to home position and that will activate the module. If nobody else will build it for Chevs of the 40s, then I will build it for myself and maybe a few extra. Thanks for all the input.
    Warren

winduptoy likes this.
  28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is what they make automatic timer disconnects for. Blue Sea Marine makes a good one. Automatically turns off the entire electrical system when you get out. Adjustable timer delay. Never forget again. It will also disconnect if it sense a low battery condition.

29. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Just let the blinker stay on and move to Florida...no big deal there...ha,ha...

30. 48ford

48ford

I used a small buzzer I got from e-auction place
    It sounds like a garbage truck backing up!
    The looks of people the first time there in our car