Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Belly Tank Build, NZ.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26 T Ford RPU, May 3, 2021.

1. The shifter can also move laterally as the only part held is the shift lever in the box, the rest is free to move with it as it needs. The engine mounts are very solid really and i will weld a retention ring to hold them even tighter, also i may fit some stay rods to be sure. This has all passed through my mind once or ten times.:) OH and Happy Easter guys.:D JW

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    Stogy, prez, AndersF and 1 other person like this.
  2. Finally got the shifter lever base made and tacked in place, this piece allows the lever to rotate the shaft in neutral and hold the bottom of the lever firm for shifting gears... too simple. Will need to gusset all the mounts for the 3/4'' rod ends to stop flex. Also started working on the fuel tap and its mount, more on that soon. JW
    [​IMG]

brEad, JamieUC, AndersF and 3 others like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks great! Is there some contest planed to guess the total number of hours it will take to TIG well all the tubes?

Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  4. And the other end again, i flipped the A frame part as it worked out better that way. Once i have it all adjusted and working as i want i will drill the 3/4'' shaft for all the grub screws and call it done. Moving forward slowly. I also got some SFI45.1 rollcage padding and i will be pulling the roll cage apart an adjusting it....good thing its only tacked together. JW
    [​IMG]

brEad, AndersF, saltflats and 2 others like this.
  5. Thanks, Bob and as much as i would like it TIG welded it will be by MIG, the total hours to do it all is any ones guess.... lots i bet. JW

AndersF and Stogy like this.
  6. After checking and re checking my helmet to roll cage padding clearance and having it right on the maximum of 2'' per side i bit the bullet and undid the cage and adjusted the main hoops to give 1 5/8'' per side. Only took half a day. JW
    [​IMG]

7. The adjusted cage. JW
    [​IMG]

Stogy, bathcollector, brEad and 2 others like this.
  8. And from the side, looks just like it did before but better. Getting the seat in and out before the after the adjustments is a bit of an artform!! JW
    [​IMG]

Stogy, bathcollector, brEad and 3 others like this.
  9. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Its rough when you have to do the job twice:rolleyes:... is there a minimum clearance, helmet to cage, figure for Bonneville? I know its 2" max but wasn't sure if there was a minimum figure?

10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just practice your bailout for tech inspection.:cool:

11. No minimum but too tight and you will get the dreaded "Buzz" in you head and eyes. The SFI padding really isn't. In fact a pine 2x4 will pass that SFI test. ISP padding helps with this, you see it in The Speed Demon and other cars.

[​IMG]

12. I got some 2'' foam plus the 3/4'' for padding and sat in it and my helmet just touched both sides and since my wife is going to have a turn it the drivers seat and her head is a bit smaller and if her helmet (when we get it) is smaller it will have to much clearance.... i had to change it and i feel happy i did. Moving forward now. JW

Stogy, JamieUC and brEad like this.
  13. I practice that often. With the side bar at that hieght i can have both feet touching, all flows well. JW

Stogy, brEad and 51504bat like this.
  14. Needed a way to jack the front up without jacking on one side on the axle so made this to fix in the head of the floor jack, works a treat.:cool: JW
    [​IMG]

15. Been waiting a while now to get the top half fitting over the roll cage. JW
    [​IMG]

16. And the side shot. It was a stunning Autumn afternoon with the sun low in the sky.
    Now i can start to measure the firewall and make an accurate MDF template and make it out of 3mm steel sheet. Will be mounting the fuel pump and shut off valve also....moving forward. JW
    [​IMG]

17. Got the faring down from the rafters to see how much i need to modify it to match the roll cage, a bit of slice and dice will sort it but not in the very near future, i may try to race it with an open cockpit first then finish that stuff as i want to run it in February. JW
    [​IMG]

18. AndersF

AndersF

It look fast just standing there.

19. It may look faster than it will actually be!!:eek::rolleyes: JW

Stogy, Kiwi 4d, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  20. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Liking the jack bar, will have to add one to my to do list.

Stogy, AndersF and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  21. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Great to speak to you today JW, I was well suprised to get a phone call from a fellow tank builder from the opisite side of the planet.:)

Stogy, brEad, AndersF and 1 other person like this.
  22. And you too, go well on the Sand.:cool::cool::D JW

Stogy and brEad like this.
  23. Been busy on other things lately around the property before winter sets in but i did manage to drop the lower body and front axle assembly to finish mounting the friction shocks on the bulkhead. The axle is hanging on the spring in the photo. JW
    [​IMG]

24. Having the lower body off let me get the finished gas tank back in. Still working on the fuel tap that will will be mounted on the back of the bulkhead just in front of the tank. The operation of the fuel tap from the drivers area will be via a pull cable system with a spring on both sides and a lever up front.... more on the lever when i find a spot to mount it, remembering i will have arm restraints on with very limited movement and reach. JW
    [​IMG]

Stogy, brEad, bathcollector and 5 others like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Just found this thread, very cool project!

26. Thanks, Tim.:) JW

Stogy likes this.
  27. Wow... how did I miss this thread? Great stuff!

Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Glen.

28. Hi, Glen and thanks/welcome. Have you got a project yet? JW

Stogy likes this.
  29. A very small amount of progress to report. I am starting the fire wall as well as the fuel cut off and the mounting of the pump and fuel tap.
    I intend to get in where the motor sits and have the top put on and measure the gap around the MDF template. The hole is for the shifter. The fire wall will be 3mm mild steel. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    Stogy, JamieUC, The 39 guy and 4 others like this.
  30. The fuel tap activation lever thing i made. It will be spring loaded so a little tap on the knob will turn the tap off.... more on the spring thing when i have fine tuned my idea. JW
    [​IMG]

Stogy, rbrewer, JamieUC and 7 others like this.