Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

I'm guessing the above modified roadster is George Cerny at Lions 59 or 60. I remember
    it with a carbureted sbc, but w/ a beautiful candy orange. George later ran junior fuel and
    tried it my boat at Perris.

2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-4-30_17-50-32.png 1960 Lion's Dragstrip spectator side emergency area near the starting line.

Hello,
    Yes, you are right, that is George Cerny, but at a later stage of development. Good eye and memory...

As teenagers, we were well aware of George Cerny and his custom car place in Compton, not too far from Bixby Knolls. So, we saw this red/orange modified roadster in the pits at Lion's Dragstrip and lo/behold, it was George Cerny.

The day we took the short film clip, they were having some difficulties and at the starting line, it sounded good, then not so good, sputtering. Finally, George, himself, pushed the modified roadster off of the starting line and over to the spectator side dirt/gravel area out of the way.

I thought I would get some film of the red/orange roadster during the day, racing. But, all I got was the roadster being pushed off to the side.

Jnaki

That photo posted is several versions later in the 1964-65 season.
    upload_2022-4-30_18-9-35.png With the addition of the spoked front wheels and several other mods, it made the modified roadster look a little more intense. It had the styling of the early Speed Sport Roadster from the 1959-60 era and looked good with the custom color and bodywork by George Cerny's custom shop in Compton, CA.

Drag Cars in Motion

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  3. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

RIP Gerald “Jerry” Beebe.
    E90D1A69-405C-4C95-8999-0C0624A792D8.jpeg 9F4399B4-4626-45DE-91A5-4BFC80633CC9.jpeg 4198C76B-8D92-4AC1-BF27-54F78B3E338B.jpeg 23A1BC07-C775-4997-A52F-DEE946261311.jpeg

4. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

5. Johnny99

Johnny99

The last of the early 60's photos of an Everett WA high school kid's photography class project shot at the Arlington WA. strip. I bunched these up because some of these are likely spectator vehicles, not race cars per se. I'd like to think at least one or two made a pass. The MIA caps from the rear of the Vicky gives me hope!

arlJA7 (2).jpg arlJA8 (2).jpg arlJA9 (2).jpg arlJA10 (2).jpg arlJA11.jpg

echo ed, stillrunners, Jet96 and 12 others like this.
  6. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

7. jnaki

jnaki

QUOTE="Mike VV, post: 14466826, member: 125700"]Yeah, pretty much.
    I moved away for about 8 years, then ended up back just a short distance from where I grew up, in about 1980. Things had changed, but not by a lot yet.
    About the last ten or so years, things have changed...a lot. Although...Clippinger Chevrolet, across the street from Russ Davis Ford...is still there. Well, the property and building are. I think there's a fight between the city and what's left of the Clippinger family.
    The little gas station, on the south side of the Russ Davis property, where a lot of racers hung out in the mid to late 60's, got turned into a small shop, then about a year ago, got leveled and became a modern building.
    I wish I would have had the forethought to take a bunch of pictures of the area, back in 1965 or so..!
    Now back to you regular picture station !
    Mike[/QUOTE]

Hello,

Yes in most areas of So Cal, times have not stood still. The old things that we all liked are history or going into their portions of history with progress. Our old Bixby Knolls neighborhood cruising/hanging around area is still there with its neighborhood charm. But, the feeling of going down the main drags, driving by the old haunts just is not the same. Our friend’s old houses are still as grand as they were back then. But, of course, the ridiculous prices have made the area out of reach for young families.

But, for some, memories are what made those times great and there is no need to go back to see what is left. When I went back in 2017 and 2019, this is what I got from that 100+ miles road trip.

This place is still there and during the day is is as busy as any other major street that runs from 13 miles inland all the way to the ocean and pristine white sand beach. That area at the beach is in the running for the 2028 Olympics for swimming, sailing and other water sports.

Jnaki

Drag Cars in Motion...

But, the things that were important for us growing up in Long Beach were the countless hours we spent building, modifying, designing our street cars and drag racing Willys Coupe. Cruising around So Cal with whatever hot rod or cruising sedan was available and even my funky 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery that never saw Lion’s Dragstrip, but did see the slow power on Cherry Avenue with a lot of laughs and good times.
    upload_2022-5-2_4-10-44.png
    The ability of hot rod folks to adapt to the unlimited cruising area of So Cal has been good all of these years. There is always something to see and the weather is usually nice. The nearness to the ocean is something that stands out as a major draw for most. Some areas are fantastic and others just age with the times. It is up to those that change with the times... Don't feel bad about having taken photos. 35mm cameras have been around since the 30s, but usually cost an arm and leg . The popularity of 35mm film cameras were just starting locally around 1965, Even then, still cost an arm and leg, perhaps two legs...HA!

P.S.
    We all did what we could with what we had... We adapted and endured...YRMV

8. Race in Peace Mr. Ongais...
    [​IMG]

9. Gregory Witz

Gregory Witz

65pacecar likes this.
  10. Gregory Witz

Gregory Witz

I knew Terry, he was a really good guy. He drove a couple of cars for my dad back in the day. I think i still have a pic of him with his super shaker. Ill post it as soon as i can find it.
    Here it is…
    B601A705-8ED7-4456-B4F9-DC3EC4C7F204.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    chryslerfan55 and 65pacecar like this.
  11. 296ardun

296ardun

Marvin Schwartz, when he still lived in Colorado, blown Lincoln on fuel.

12. 296ardun

296ardun

Witz, Roy.jpg
    Roy Witz running Bill Traylor's old "Animal," here with an injected Chevy. I posted this photo earlier, but got some of the details wrong, including Roy's name. The car was sold, and has gone missing...apparently couldn't be raced because the rules change banned the aluminum frame. Anyone know where the body might be? (It was candy blue after Roy repainted it from the candy red when Bill ran it. Thanks, Gregory Witz for updating my information.

PRUDHOMME vs VIC HUBBARD SPL HALFMOONBAY MAY 26 1963.jpg
    Don Prudhomme off against the Vic Hubbard special, Half Moon Bay, 1963. Don't have photographer information

moody and jones alton.jpg
    Moody and Jones Chevy gasser, Alton, IL (now a trailer park, I think)

hordeman kelly automotive.jpg
    Jim Hordemann in the Kelly Automotive fueler, from Spokane, Washington. The nitrous oxide nozzle is feeding into the Hilborn scoop.

pomona 54 LA county library.jpg
    Still in motion, but not for long. Pomona, 1954. I found this photo in the Los Angeles Public Library archives. Not sure if the shrapnel below is clutch or engine.

san luis obispo potvin.jpg
    I think that this is Jim Seaton's Potvin equipped Olds in a dragster, San Luis Obispo, Karen White photo.

scott vs ratican.jpg
    Ratican, Jackson, and Stearns, in the Fiat, racing Charles "Boogie" Scott from New Orleans, both running blown Olds. RJS won the class. Hot Rod photo

13. 296ardun

296ardun

saugus55.png
    Early Saugus, maybe 1952-53? Dragsters were "rail jobs," roll bars were mostly for decoration, and apparently helmets were optional. saugus four.jpg
    More Saugus, around the same time. Saugus was located at a remote airstrip, and racing had to stop when a plane came in for a landing. In the end, the remote location and the opening of San Fernando drag strip spelled doom for Saugus, and now most of the drag strip is under what is now Canyon High School.

schiefer-henslee-cook-hedrich_2.jpg
    Emery Cook driving the Henslee and Cook rear engine modified roadster. The car, which ran a Chrysler with a Crower U-Fab log manifold and direct drive, was the first roadster to break 150mph. Later it was destroyed in a finish line crash with a spectator's car that wandered into the shut-down area.

seroka karen white.jpg
    Half Moon Bay, Karen White photo.

lickliter brothers 62 nationals bud lang.jpg
    Lickliter brothers Bantam, far side, from Staunton, VA. Bud Lang photo

14. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

15. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

16. Bustle Bomb double-play...
    dragster bustle bomb 1.jpg
    dragster bustle bomb 2.jpg

Deuces, deadbeat, bchctybob and 6 others like this.
  17. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

18. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

19. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

20. How do you get in it?