Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod/ Custom you'd love to see duplicated/restored

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bdamfino, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Between the Pomona '22 coverage, the Holy Grail/ Hirohata threads, I was thinking the rods and customs you would ENJOY seeing restored or replicated. These are my picks, and I only left the SoCal Plating delivery off because I think a replica is in the works. images.jpeg 1957-07.jpg 1956-09.jpg a83e1f9e707a0e07df1573a393e37d80.jpg download.jpeg 400px-Wild-kat.jpg

Attached Files:

2. I agree with the So Cal plating delivery... really surprised it hasn't been cloned yet. I know there is at least one in the works, but I haven't heard about any progress in a few years. I think there was a thread here on the HAMB.

Stogy and Just Gary like this.
  3. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

The Barris Wild Kat would be something! Plus, I've never heard what happened to Mickey's dual engines Bantam....the others, some personal choices, the Stude and Caddy/ Buick off of Motor Life kinda never mentioned.

Stogy likes this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

It was stolen in late 1964,never recovered.
    Full custom Henry J ,built in early 1960,called " Temptation " an then" Walk Don't Run" Hit song names I liked at the time,,,was in Car Craft mag in Jan 63.
    I'd clone it,:D:cool: if I had a 50J to start with,and Olds Rocket V8 w hydro. Or help some one do it ! With how it was done n what with,, by a teen [ me ] in 1960.
    DinnerKey ShowDanaJ.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022

5. SoCal Plating progress, courtesy of the Custom Car Chronicle:
    [​IMG]

6. brading

brading

George Smaldone's '33 3 Window coupe.
    [​IMG]

7. Redding and lejoie bluebird special Bluebird, ReddingLajoie33b2.jpg Bluebird special I.jpg

8. I would love to re create Taboo's long lost twin. Walt Nichols 58 Impala convertible. [

376201_327589770588117_1301737891_n.jpg 376201_327589773921450_1660831089_n.jpg Rod-Custom-Magazine-1960-May-Vintage-Classic_edited.jpg

9. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

The Stone Woods & Cook "Black Widow" car.
    [​IMG]

10. Koz

Koz

Without a doubt the "Full House" deuce by Jim Inglese. Such an iconic car in a field of so many great '32's over the years. I've been collecting parts off the original car for years and when I'm rich, the clone. Jim has been kind enough to send me pics that show many details and I'll build more of a tribute car than a clone. The car set the bar for what would have been an early '60's "date rod". As far as I'm concerned the ultimate hot rod...... The car not only looked good but the six twos on the 327 kicked ass too. He never babied it![​IMG]

11. Koz

Koz

A better pic-
    upload_2022-1-28_19-53-4.jpeg

Attached Files:

12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-2-22_4-5-7.png
    Similar in looks, but not the original Tahitian Red/Candy Apple Red chopped Ford truck.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...t-influenced-you.1221076/page-3#post-13962969

Hello,

I would like to see photos or actual build of the first custom truck I ever saw in person, almost every day we rode our bikes down the main street (Santa Fe Avenue) in our old Westside of Long Beach neighborhood. The 1955-56 Ford F 100 custom truck was a standout on that street. It was parked out in front of a small Optometrist’s shop and the color of Candy Apple Red or Tahitian Red was so bright against the standard car colors of the day.
    upload_2022-2-22_4-9-37.png The most recent drawing recollection...
    The Ford Truck was the first and only custom truck in the whole area and for us, way ahead of its time. Lowered rake, great looking paint, white tuck and roll total installation inside, chrome strips in the bed, and chromed reversed wheels made up the custom items. The body modifications included a chopped top, but not just any old 3-4 inch chopped top. The custom chop was shorter slightly in the back making the view out front larger for clear vision. Afterall, the owner was an optometrist and clear vision was standard procedure.

The truck had its own profile and stood out when it was next to other trucks or hot rods cars. Our old neighborhood had its share of old hot rods, but this custom truck was a showpiece that was driven every day. We saw it close up, riding our bicycles to the park just down the street and when we visited the small shops along this major street.

Jnaki

Contacting the family has been frustrating as the owner was getting on in age. Sadly, he passed away and his sons were not into hot rods or customizing/modifying cars. They were sorry that nothing was left to their story. The mention of the truck was gone and so was the owner/builder.
    upload_2022-2-22_4-12-5.png A slight rake could have been a part of the design. But, one thing was that it was very low to the ground. Luckily, most of the Westside of Long Beach is level.

The mere mention of this truck is not doing it any justice, as parts of the custom truck were probably forgotten. I was able to get a ride in the truck from the mechanic’s garage near our house to the owner’s business after some work was done to the truck. It was a pleasure to ride in it.

I remember the comfy white tuck and roll seating and upholstery all over the interior. But, as more time goes by, more things are forgotten and the Candy Apple/Tahitian Red color, the white tuck and roll upholstery with the chopped top are the things that still stay in my mind.
    upload_2022-2-22_4-14-54.png
    This photo is the best color that is/was similar to the custom truck. The radical, unusually, chopped truck was the first custom truck or hot rod that both my brother and I used to see almost daily. We were usually walking or riding our bicycles on Santa Fe Avenue, near our old house.

13. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

@Koz, the Inglese roadster is alive and well in southern Cal in the stable of SoCal 34, Dave Bethards.

14. Mark Georgette's Alky street 392 Fiat. Drawing represents straight, hard & fast 9.? @ 151? mph perfect run- seconds later it was written off when a uni joint spat & puncture a slick. We need some noise here.. 130624Georgette-copy.jpg

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

chryslerfan55 and williebill like this.
  16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

17. Correct, the X-51 is alive and well. It's never been lost. [​IMG]
    For me now today it would be Roger Cunningham's 50 Vert. It's been on my list for over 40 years. Multiple reasons for that. I wish I had been in the know a little more back in 1976 when I bought a rusted and wrecked old Custom out of a back yard in the Park Rose neighborhood of Portland Oregon. This story might be a lot different.

Tuck, Bdamfino, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  18. goldmountain

goldmountain

Would love to see a build thread on a copy of Chuck Krikorian's Emperor, I really like the nose piece on this car and would like to know how to make one like it.

Rocket88NZ likes this.
  19. Tim Allen of tooltime TV series built a track t roadster. Was my favorite car of all. That's my choice of bucket list items.

20. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I don't think the Yeakle Bros. roadster has ever been found so I'd like to see it recreated.
    [​IMG]

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The last date in the Kustomrama article says as of 2020 the X-51 was in the possession of
    Rod Hardison.
    Like many cars, the X-51 has been through numerous owners, some sold and rebought.
    Its had its share of wreckage repairs, front suspension, engine/drivetrain changes, etc.

chryslerfan55, 54delray and Moriarity like this.
  22. Squablow

Squablow

Not sure if it quite fits in here, but one of the very last Tuckers built was a special one with a differently sized back window and would be 1 of 1, at some point in it's life a good sized portion of it got made into a custom convertible and a bullshit story about it being a factory prototype convertible got stuck on to up the price of it. I would really love to see that car get restored back to it's original configuration.

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  23. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I'd like to do my '34 as a Jim Ewing Super Bell Coupe tribute car. I say tribute because I don't want to try to duplicate such an iconic car.

Cyclone Kevin and Just Gary like this.
  24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sonny La Roc's pearl of shangri la 55 chevy.....
    55sonny.jpg

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Dave Puhl's Illusion. The real car was re bodied by Carl Casper sometime in the 70's
    Dave-puhl-illusion.jpg

26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

27. Car still exists, it be somewhat modernized on the chassis and under the hood, but the exterior and interior is still correct. Was at the Portland Roadster show in 2019.

IMG_0152.JPG IMG_0151.JPG IMG_0150.JPG

28. The Bill Hoffman Chevy. I had plans of doing a tribute with mine but other projects got in the way.
    Early version

[​IMG]
    Later version

[​IMG]

29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe there have been several clones (or near clones) of the Pierson Bros coupe...but I'd want to see one with the correct tow vehicle:cool:
    PiersonTowing-vi.jpg

30. that car will always be cool. The unchopped, but B pillar removed and made into a hardtop looked so good.

chryslerfan55, 54delray, RDR and 2 others like this.