Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Michigan Model A build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hot Rod Apprentice, Feb 4, 2022.

1. Hot Rod Apprentice

Hot Rod Apprentice

I’ve been around the HAMB for a while now but have posted very little. This community’s home engineering is a testament that anything can be accomplished with enough vision, creativity, tenacity, and good friends.

The past year and a half have been insane. My wife and I had a nasty bout of Covid. She was 8 months pregnant. Her blood pressure made an emergency delivery critical. Our daughter was delivered in 21 seconds by C-section which nearly killed my wife while also saving her life. I was unable to be present during any of this due to being ill as well. My wife was in isolation and they separated my daughter due to her not having Covid. Needless to say she was anxious and uncomfortable especially considering her c-section recovery and covid cough. But we had a healthy gorgeous girl.
    Unfortunately that wasn’t the end of it. A few months later my uncle who was a major inspiration to wrench and fabricate when I was a kid passed due to Covid complications. Then not two f!@#ing days later my closest friend Stewart Woollard (aka Limey Kid) finally lost his fight to cancer.

I’m fairly certain if I didn’t have my daughter to focus on I would have lost my mind. I immersed myself in full dad mode and had very little to do with cars and projects for the past year. Now that my daughter has reached the toddler stage sleeping is a little easier. Making evenings in the garage a little more manageable.

I’ve been planning a Model A build for a while now, collecting cool miscellaneous parts here and there when the price was right. My plan is a late 50’s period car; it’s definitely not “reinventing the wheel”. Last spring I acquired a ’31 Model A Coupe thanks to Clark Bates. A while back I was given a beautiful 283 short block, although I have not fully committed to running an SBC. Limey Kid gave me a Model A frame which I plan to box. I have a Ford 9” for the rear end which will be supported with ’35-36 bones. The front will be a dropped A axle with ’32 bones. Model A grill shell, T5 transmission (overdrive is a wonderful thing), fenderless (of course), ford steel 16”x4 wheels with big and littles… just the right bits. Then lastly the 3” chop. Definitely pulled a lot of inspiration from the HAMB.

My goal is a complete build thread in hopes holding myself a little more accountable as well as finding a little solace. So here we go.
    IMG_9081.jpg IMG_9089.jpg IMG_9949.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  2. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Good luck with your build. My son was born by emergency C-section at 2lbs. 11oz. He’s 46 now and has six kids of his own.

Outback, hfh, fourspd2quad and 4 others like this.
  3. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Hey there Hot Rod Apprentice. I don't know of many folks that have escaped the insanity of the last few years. We have all been affected in some way. Sorry to hear you lost your good friend and your uncle but glad your wife and daughter are out of the woods.
    Building these cars is just a hobby, there when you get around to them.
    Sounds like you have a plan to move forward. For me the planning and parts acquisition is half the fun. Good luck with it!

Here's a pic of my buddy unstrapping one I drug home from your backyard in Genesee County. DSC04115.JPG

Outback, hotrodharry2, hfh and 9 others like this.
  4. atch

atch

The 3" chop sounds good. This post shows several.

It looks like you have better parts than a lot of hot rods started with.

Congrats on the daughter. Every day will bring you a new surprise. Enjoy her every minute.

b-t-w; your first two pix show up as red X's for me. Maybe you could repost them...

Outback, Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Guthrie1068

Guthrie1068

Evidently I need to start looking around more. I'd love to start gathering the parts to build one and you guys are like neighbors...

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like you have a good start. It’s a good sign that you have a build era in mind. Remember to make the car a reflection of what you want. Study up on what was typical and non-typical for that era. Not all cars of an era were ‘typical’.

John

Outback and Stogy like this.
  7. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love Model A Coupe Hot Rods !

8. grdra1

grdra1

Im watching this one to, looks like a good start and a nice shop you have, enjoy. Glen

Stogy likes this.
  9. Hot Rod Apprentice

Hot Rod Apprentice

Last night I was able to get an evening in the garage. The front ends of my subrails have some Swiss cheese. I began working on some replacement patch pieces. DCF50171-35BF-401E-B723-733AEEAF1F62.jpeg

10. millersgarage

millersgarage

ask for help if you need it, I am just around the corner

2Blue2, Outback, 210superair and 2 others like this.
  11. Nice going. I live but an international boundary away and will be following along.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Robbie Horn

Robbie Horn
    from Axtell

Cool!! Covid sucks. I've had it & lost a few friends from it also. I just started a 31 Model A coupe here in Texas. I will be using the banger for power. I'll be watching. [​IMG]

Outback, Stogy and trikejunkie like this.
  13. Hot Rod Apprentice

Hot Rod Apprentice

Thanks Jeff

jeff.l.hecht, 210superair and Stogy like this.
  14. v8flat44

v8flat44

Time 2 on what A 2 B said. It's gonna be cool. I'm watching & said a prayer for your family too.

Outback and Stogy like this.
  15. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet project! Hi from Milford!
    Matt

210superair and Stogy like this.
  16. Following. I too have a coupe and have similar ideas. Late 50’s build, early 283, chop, but I’m keeping fenders. Zero rust on mine. Good luck and enjoy.

Stogy likes this.
  17. mickeyc

mickeyc

Congratulation on your daughter. I hope your wife's heath continues to improve.
    Looks like a nice Model A. I like them with fenders well as without. Funny thing
    about baby girls. I have a Son. When he and his wife announced their first born
    was to be a girl I was disappointed. I wanted a Grandson to hopefully pass on
    whatever manly stuff I could instill in him. Of course I kept my own council.
    I had never been around a little girl child. A close friend whom I had confided in laughed
    at me. Said that little one will melt your heart and absolutely own you before she is a year old.
    Haw little did he know! It took one burbly giggle and a wet smile all accomplished on our
    first meeting. I adore that little girl with every fiber of my being. That was 12 years ago.

Outback, Boggus Deal, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  18. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Sorry for the stress on your plate. Went thru something similar. The Covid messed with everyone's lives. It's been daunting, and now more than ever its a political virus , so we need our escape whether its tying flies or squirting a paint job on the jalopy. That being said, you got a great start on your "A". Oh, and don't forget to chop the crap out of it!

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  19. CC-Mo

CC-Mo

Nice project to start! Will be even nicer with the “A” grille shell proudly displayed on the front also…

Stogy likes this.
  20. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Me too - but I am in the UK slightly more difficult for us

Stogy likes this.
  21. Keep at it bud! For me its a release from all the BS going on in life! I just started working on my 30' Chrysler coupe project again after its been hibernating for the last 4 years! I went through cancer and moved my business into a bigger shop among other things. I was getting super depressed because all I was doing was working and not having any enjoyment in my life. I dont have any other hobbies besides cars! I dont golf, hunt or fish. All I ever did in my life was eat, shit & sleep cars! Sure does feel good to be back at it again! I'm sure its the same for you!

Stogy likes this.
  22. Hot Rod Apprentice

Hot Rod Apprentice

Well last night I had a few more hours working on subrails. The the fronts under the extensions were in rough shape. One had to be completely rebuilt and the other needed a patch. The front of the subrails are nearly done, just needs a little finish grinding and some trimming. Next I need to remake the cross member behind the seat which will decide how I will repair the rear of the rail. Slow and steady… E85D8E38-8380-4D1B-BBC4-38632088F7C6.jpeg 29A8C06A-E318-4B35-8662-9052B502792A.jpeg

Nobey, 210superair, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  23. jadz928

jadz928
    from Michigan

Thanks for your story of inspiration. Sending you good vibes from Michigan, will be following along.

Nobey, 210superair and Stogy like this.
  24. Hot Rod Apprentice

Hot Rod Apprentice

So I had to make a subrail cross member. The brake I have access to was not capable of doing the bends I wanted so I had to improvise with some lumber, a ball peen, and a touch of air hammer. After all, necessity is the mother of all invention.
    25109314-7F9C-40CE-BF47-A58143EF83DC.jpeg 83A71768-527D-4485-BAF0-8B68E18A5B5D.jpeg
    I was happy with the final product.
    FB081C02-DED1-41F7-A20D-C50B0AD53084.jpeg E1DACF7D-0A42-48EC-90A2-A437941B5AD2.jpeg

Outback, GordonC, Nobey and 13 others like this.
  25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello from the middle of the "thumb".
    Sorry for your troubles and your loss. You're pretty young for such things. But maybe now, we can look forward to better days ahead.
    Nice to see a young guy starting a project like this. Good to have you here to show us how it's done. :D
    Good luck with everything.

Nobey, 210superair and Stogy like this.
  26. Hot Rod Apprentice

Hot Rod Apprentice

Thanks. But I’m not sure I’m showing anyone how it’s done. You guys and your posts are my instruction manual.

Nobey, Stogy and sloppy jalopies like this.
  27. A Boner

A Boner

Cool thread...we’re watching, and enjoying!

Stogy likes this.
  28. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Go Man go. I joined up a while back too and took time lurking in the background until I had a relevent vehicle. The community is close at hand.

Stogy likes this.
  29. Kinda think that's a '30, not 31... Well at least the firewall is a '30

Stogy likes this.