Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drive Shaft Cost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by navy06, Nov 17, 2021.

1. alchemy

alchemy

What's the max speed a Jeep will reach? I'd think he should try welding one up himself.

warhorseracing likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Sure, what could possibly go wrong? ;)

3. GTS225

GTS225

For the record, I don't disagree with you.
    You'll notice I posted nothing that helps him, but did post something that helped out those who were wondering where the OP's location is.
    I also figured he's in the wrong forum for a Jeep DJ build. (Although we do a hell of a lot of fabrication on our junque.)

Roger

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. ......We're good. I was just being a wise-ass........Don.

5. GTS225

GTS225

Well, Don, I wasn't sure. I remember a time when some on here would have been more brutal than that, without being a wise-ass.

Just sayin'.....Roger

6. ....I remember those days.:D;)

7. Budget36

Budget36

Don’s aging. He’s now a sageass;)

WalkerMD and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. I've been to Lynchburg, not a lot going on there. Can't even get a drink. (Dry county.)

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I knew I hadn't visited for a reason. :cool: Crap, if you can't drink might as well weld up your own driveline. Gotta have some fun.

10. He can't be too serious about getting an answer as he hasn't been back since he posted it. POSER!

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

Even though the OP disappeared, I went and ordered a driveshaft from Speedway. The local guys want a fortune for one.

12. 327Eric

327Eric

I have mine made by southwest speed, and shipped to me. It appeals to the lazy side of my personality.

13. In my book, making my own driveshaft falls into the category of "Hold my beer and watch this", so I can understand NOT doing your own in a dry county!
    I had the 'dry county' thing explained to me one time.... when the issue comes up for a vote, the Southern Baptists vote to stay dry because they don't want any evil liquor in their county. The moonshiners vote against it because they don't want competition.

X-cpe and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. Might try checking out a different book. Kid that works out of my shop on his sand toys builds all his own driveshafts. This kid has a WOT mentality, coupled to a 300lb right foot, which pretty much guarantees his driveshafts see way more abuse than any you'd ever see on the street. Also, they have to live at some crazy angles. From what I've seen, all it takes is planning and patience and quality u-joints. BTW, you'd have to hold his Coke, he doesn't drink.

15. alchemy

alchemy

Again, sand toys and jeeps don’t see too high of revolutions, so it wouldn’t shake like it might if going down the interstate at 80 MPH.

X38 and Budget36 like this.
  16. 5:86 gears and spinning a SBC at 5500r's wouldn't generate a shake? Who you trying to kid? This kid breaks a lot of shit, but driveshafts ain't one of them. He started building his own when he broke 2 'store built' shafts. I'll stick with my patience and planning statement.

17. Budget36

Budget36

There’s a few things involved, I’m sure you’ll agree. Here’s a pic of a 3inch (what was a 5 foot long) drive shaft. This was what ‘42-50’s for Pickups used. Not what I’d build or want for a shaft that would see abuse, but never an issue with even a “back in the day” hot flathead V8.

18. Budget36

Budget36

image.jpg

19. gene-koning

gene-koning

The pictured shaft thickness is all Chrysler used on the Hemi powered cars, and I haven't had any issues with them. Longer shafts need a larger diameter tube, but the tube thickness hasn't changed much.
    The drive shafts I've made have been abused on several dirt track cars, and several street cars, some with pretty high hp. I've probably made or shortened a couple hundred over the last 30 years. Never had a failure. Never had a balance problem. I don't have a lathe, they have all done on the work bench. Plan, patience, and execution make for good drive shafts. Gene

RJP likes this.
  20. @SamIyam did a great tech years ago about building your own driveshaft