Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drive Shaft Cost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by navy06, Nov 17, 2021.

1. navy06

navy06

Could someone give me a approximate cost and recommendations where to have a custom drive shaft made? It is short about 24 inches , slightly less, with the tube 2.5 inch diameter. Will connect a Chrysler 904 to Chevy S10 differential. Would be two new yokes plus the tube.
    Thanks
    JM

2. oldsman41

oldsman41

First off where are you located. Unless you are in outer sabobia nowhere there has to be a shop somewhere near you. Fleetpride builds them if you want to pay the freight Denny’s driveshaft in New York builds them to order. I just had one done 54 inches long balanced and new ends for 375 at fleetpride.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

if you have the original driveshaft, you can probably have it shortened, and a different rear yoke to replace the original if the U joint is a weird size (like the Mopar ones usually are, but I don't know about jeeps).

Like he said, look around for a nearby driveshaft shop...maybe at a truck repair place?

4. ............and give some thought to putting at least your general location in your profile. How can we possibly direct you to a local shop when we don't have a clue as to where you are.:rolleyes:

5. Fogger

Fogger

It should be sop to indicate op's location when registering!

Thor1, i.rant, lothiandon1940 and 4 others like this.
  6. New heavy duty custom made with stout yokes& u joints was $450 for me.

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

He has Navy in the name so that should narrow it down or not . :p The old brain trust here have to be mind readers , or did we forget ? I guess it’s a newbie thing .

8. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Here in Baltimore a completely new shaft with my old slip yoke, 27 inches long was 250.00
    It was balanced and came with new u joints.

Of course a month later I mocked the car up with the rear fenders and found that I need to move the rear forward. I haven't asked how much to convert my new driveshaft to 26 inches.

Dino 64, lothiandon1940 and tommyd like this.
  9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chattanooga Driveline did mine. I was going to an open driveline. The front yoke from an early powerglide has the same spline count as the F1 tranny but has to have 1 5/8ths cut off. That plus 2 new U-joints and fabbing up a new tube was $215. 20211101_184615.jpg

2Blue2, williebill and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. 6sally6

6sally6

Try CSR driveshaft. They did mine since the early 70's! All three times they did excellent work.......
    Great work.....
    Great turnaround....
    Super reasonable pricing...
    Friendly folks....
    6sally6

11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Just had one made for my pickup, 67 inches long. I supplied my chevy trans yoke and rear yoke from my explorer rear axle. 375.00 included new heavy duty u joints installed.

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$200.00 and where I live he comes to the house, measures, and delivers.

Tman, fauj, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  13. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took my stock Stude driveshaft to a shop in Omaha and with new joints it was under $100 to shorten it a few inches.

14. gene-koning

gene-koning

The Chevy S 10 joint and the Chrysler 904 joint are both the same size, if I remember correctly, its just the S10 has the clips on the outside of the caps and the Chrysler has the clips on the inner edge of the caps. I believe there are conversion joints that cover both. You could have either a Chrysler or the S10 shaft cut down, and get the conversion joint for the one end. Could be a lot cheaper.

Tman, alanp561 and X-cpe like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First step is what do you have now that can be reused or used for show and tell at the drive shaft shop.
    Second is to check and see what U joint fits the yoke for the 904 and then what U joint fits the S-10 rear axle.
    My preference runs to having the correct and hopefully easy to find U joint on each end rather than a combination joint on one end. Combination joints cost double of what most same brand same quality regular joints cost and a lot of parts houses don't stock many of them. This comes under the concept of keep it simple and keep it easy to fix. A mopar joint on one end and a Chevy joint on the other is easy to deal with at a parts house in Podunk on Sunday afternoon on the way home from a rod trot. A combination joint may mean that you either have to wait until you can get one or haul the car home. I've been there, done that and had to call my buddy to come haul me home a hundred miles because there was no combination joint available in the town I was broke down in.

Prices vary on having drive shafts built due to local labor costs and shop overhead. Yours may be a bit less because you are only needing two feet of drive shaft tube rather than five. Some shops are willing to use your yoke if it is good and save you a few bucks and some won't consider it.

16. Where's the OP? Where's the OP located?

Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

A lot less, Than if it needed to be 1" longer..

X-cpe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Patiently waiting for the OP to return.:rolleyes: AArZ6ns (1).jpg

mgtstumpy and Dino 64 like this.
  19. GTS225

GTS225

Ahem.....Gentlemen; Go to the OP's profile page. There, you will find that he has exactly 2 posts to his credit, and by clicking on the tab " postings", you'll open a page showing his two posts. You'll find his very first post here was an intro saying he's from Lynchburg, Tennessee, and that he's building a Jeep DJ.

Use the clues in front of you, folks.

Roger

20. Weld it together yourself and call it "Hot Rodding".

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm not even guessing until we hear where you're located.

22. 6sally6

6sally6

It's a safe bet he's under 50 years old!!
    With all the "me-first" crap they now teach in school AND some homes...the low/no moral compass most young people suffer from....The red food dye.... aderall/retalin numbed brains that are so common..low attention span...etc. he may never come back.
    Asking open ended questions without details of his problem is something he can't/won't help.
    I guess??!
    6sally6
    (Hey!.look at me, I'm perfect!!):rolleyes::rolleyes:

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Driveline Specialties, Portland, OR. Aluminum $500. Polishing was extra :cool:
    upload_2021-11-18_10-53-39.png

24. jaracer

jaracer

Poter Webster in Portland, OR also makes custom shafts. The owner is a hot rodder.

25. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Here in Northern Virginia, it cost me $150 for my 31AV8. Any driveshaft repair place do it.

Earth to OP, come in please :rolleyes::)

26. ..........Ahem, Seems like we really shouldn't have to do all of the detective work when he could have asked in his post, "Where might I find a good driveshaft shop and what might it cost. I'm in Lynchburg, Tennessee.":rolleyes:

28. I agree 110% with this statement and is why I told him to weld it him self. These people no more can search or give a location. So they deserve what they get.:D

X38, Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. I just had a driveshaft shop make me a driveshaft here in Kingman,AZ.
    $300.00
    Turbo 350 to a Ford Ranger

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.