Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is my setup strong enough? Cowl Steering Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by c6matt, Oct 23, 2021.

1. c6matt

c6matt

I purchased a Model A that already had cowl steering, and I have driven it a few times. I will be building a better brace for the steering box this winter (mopar box) but looking at the pitman arm setup, its good looking, but I worry if its strong enough. The brass arm is a steering arm off of an old boat. If I need to re-do it all I may swap to a sprint car setup...

Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. Does it flex under load?

Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. c6matt

c6matt

The box moves Slightly under load, that's going to be a winter project, securing the mount structure its in to the frame.

4. But is your concern about the steering arm?

Barrelnose pickup likes this.

5. c6matt

c6matt

Yes, there is some deflection of the shaft due to the box mounting, the arm does not noticeably flex..

6. Probably should still be on the boat, no engineer but probably not designed to handle the same forces. Imho.
    Not an anti cowl steer setup bloke either.

7. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

I would re engineer your setup . Better safe than sorry .

Roger Loupias, Joe Blow and The37Kid like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

9. Yeah it looks sexy, but if you're gonna put some miles on it, I'd probably rethink it. And like the link that Mark posted, there are some that put form over function. Which is fine on a car that isn't driven, or a car that is only driven from the trailer into the show grounds.

10. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Over time, I'd worry about flex in that arm.....especially being ported and wallering out that key way. A lot less resistance turning a rudder in water than tires on pavement. Looks cool tho.

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

That would depend on the size of the boat , rudder & how tight a turn was being attempted @ what speed

mountainman2, Hnstray and RJP like this.
  12. No way.

Bandit Billy and Joe Blow like this.
  13. c6matt

c6matt

14. twenty8

twenty8

Does the "go for ice cream" thing involve children, passengers or other road users? I am not saying that it is not strong enough. That decision is above my paygrade. All I am saying is that it is very important to make sure...................

The37Kid likes this.
  15. c6matt

c6matt

No, i only get it for me.

Guthrie1068, 2OLD2FAST and seabeecmc like this.
  16. twenty8

twenty8

o_O

41rodderz likes this.
  17. c6matt

c6matt

Other road users can buy their own.

But seriously you dont know my geometry and are making some assumptions about the setup. Even Pete acknowledges that it can be done with minimal bumpseer if the geometry is correct.

Now The strength of the arm is fine in normal driving...so far. But is it a pothole away from failure....thats my concern...

18. It LOOKS good IMHO, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it (which I would be doing if I'm on the same street as you). I'd replace it with a substantial steel component.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  19. twenty8

twenty8

I thought we were talking about the strength of the system, specifically the brass arm, not the pro's and con's of cowl steering in general. I stand by my comment.............make sure it is strong enough. If it goes wrong, it may not be a situation you want to be in............

XXL__ and c6matt like this.
  20. twenty8

twenty8

And then brass plate it......................problem solved.:rolleyes:

21. c6matt

c6matt

Ah, we have our wires crossed... the ice cream comment was in response to the "cowl steering just stop" thread. Im with you now.

twenty8 likes this.
  22. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Brass is NOT strong enough for that application even if there was no flex in the system.
    That is the basic design used in race boats but I would not use brass there either.
    We made most of the hardware for the Seattle based unlimiteds in the 50's.

23. c6matt

c6matt

Thats interesting, this car was built right outside Seattle

Atwater Mike likes this.
  24. A lot of guys join up here to ask a question, most don't want to hear the answers they get. Since you only pictured your steering arm, that's all I'm able to speculate on. Brass is an ornamental metal in my opinion.

XXL__, The37Kid, 427 sleeper and 6 others like this.
  25. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

I helped my Dad, years ago, restore his 19' Lyman wooden boat. It had a brass steering arm that looked very similar to this one (about 6/7 inches) so I'm assuming it's from a smaller pleasure boat.....but that's just an assumption on my part. I wouldn't think that it would be subjected to the same stress as a cowl steering pitman arm......but I'll bow to your expertise on that.

c6matt and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  26. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

One stress crack, maybe hidden .Its a very weak link.

27. c6matt

c6matt

In my opinion too. Just making sure that I wasn't in left field.

28. I'm assuming it is cast brass. I'd be very leery of it's structural strength.

29. twenty8

twenty8

Things can, and will, go wrong every day. All you can do is try and make sure it doesn't happen. Build the steering, suspension and braking systems like your life depended on them........................Oh, hang on there a minute, it does.

And a quick tip. Do a little detective work and find out who @Moriarity and @Pete Eastwood are. It may be a bit of an eye-opener for you................;)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  30. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I wouldn't trust it for a minute. I have never seen any suspension part fabricated from brass. Brass is for candlestick's.