Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Finishing Customer Projects

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Aug 25, 2021.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

After seeing the HAMBER commenting on his problems with a shop I began to think about my shop. It's been a different world since Covid. In the 40+ years I've been doing this I've never been in a situation like this. I've had long waits on parts and materials for my chassis orders which has put me months behind which creates a situation I really dislike and that's making a customer wait for product. Fortunately I've had really patient and understanding customers. I've had parts for my T5 kit ordered since last fall and am finally out of product. I've quit taking orders for the T5 kit, T5 transmissions and chassis until I get my back orders caught up and filled. I have always prided myself on delivering within a reasonable time frame. I have turned down countless T5 kits and quite a number of chassis. I don't know if I'm the only shop affected like this or not. I'm just thankful for the customers who are waiting patiently and have been so understanding. I know how tough this can be in this world of instant gratification. Gary at Cornhusker

2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gary, I can not speak for HotRod Shops, but I know firsthand that our local BMW plant is having trouble getting enough headlight switches for all their cars, among other semi conductor parts. Mercedes and Audi had to stop production, they have even more supply troubles...I guess you are doing the right thing being clear about what is going on, there´s nothing else you can do in my opinion. Heck, when even the big OEMs are struggling, what can a smaller, less funded operation do about that.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Gary,
    So far, knock on wood, most of my suppliers haven't been too backed up. Loosing Magnum has put a bit of a kink in things though. Sometimes my steel supplier is a little slow but it's usually only by a few days. Some of the parts I use in kits get behind and there is nothing I can do but wait though.

loudbang likes this.
  4. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I'm in the food manufacturing business, and it's the same thing...

loudbang likes this.

5. In the forklift industry it’s getting bad for common stuff .

forks 8-16 weeks out
    Battery cells 3-6 weeks
    Chargers 36 volt ? Good luck !!

this used to be common readily available stuff, almost never not on the shelf snd if it was out at one supplier it would be available at other or only a day or 2 out.

loudbang and wood remover like this.
  6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I helped a buddy who remodels bathrooms (high end) He told me the shower valves he prefers are now backordered until sometime next year, at least a 6 month delay. The shower pans he uses to tile over are out of stock with no date
    given as to when they will be available again. The Delta virus will probably make things even worst. Glad I retired.

olscrounger and loudbang like this.
  7. Dorrssacadilac

Dorrssacadilac

I guess you are doing the right thing being clear about what is going on, there´s nothing else you can do in my opinion.

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Not alone! Ordered a cam for a 455 Olds, in March. Got it 2 weeks ago. Even SBC cams are in short supply. No ARP head bolts for SBC in stock in the warehouses. Edelbrock is a complete mess!

loudbang likes this.
  9. Gary, every business has suffered from this pandemic, you would think something as simple as the floral business would not be affected, The growers overseas are still shipping but the materials end up sitting on the docks awaiting transportation throughout the world.

In this industry, time is of the essence and by the time they reach the wholesalers a lot if the freeze packed flowers are not usable, Brenda fights this battle daily and like any successful business the customer needs are paramount, whither it's hot rod part's or plant's & flowers, retail.wholesale businesses offer a service but when your suppliers can't provide the product it effects our bottom line and all we can do is try our best to keep our customers happy, so far we have be able to satisfy our corporate clientele and thankfully they understand as does our local consumers.

There is no doubt we all have to work harder at customer service but the majority of those people understand. HRP

10. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

I feel for ya krylon32, that's gotta be tough to turn away solid leads and orders. But I'm sure your customers will understand the delays for backorders as Covid effects everyone's industry.

For years the "just in time" stock level management method was deemed best practice for huge businesses but it's causing them serious dramas now. I guess it was always gonna flow on to us small fish eventually

I'm a motor trimmer (Aussie name for auto upholstery guy) and I'm noticing suppliers are starting to be out of stock of some of the most common materials.(headlining, webbing, binding etc.

Strange times to be in business

loudbang likes this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I guess there are small caches of parts in unusual places . My local metal recycler has brand new sets of forks and guards for sale. A lot of companies end of year inventory gets brought in all the time as well as plant remodeling. Some guy just scrapped 1940’s Chevy exterior trim, hub caps and dash gauges.

12. Superdangerdave

Superdangerdave

Yes, supply problems and and rising costs. Sea freight on goods imported from overseas was at $3500 for a 40ft container pre pandemic. That figure is now $20,000----$16500 in lost profits OR increased costs and that is IF you can get your freight booked on a ship.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. Koz

Koz

I have the same problem. I've resorted to buying shorts of D.O.M. on Ebay at insane [prices just to finish things and even Speedway, who used to be rock solid on deliveries is lagging with a lot of stuff out of stock. My inventory is almost to zero and I'm using stuff off the shelf that would normally be replenished weekly. This week I resorted to stripping parts off my own car just to get guys on the road. Never been like this before. Like you, my customers have been great. A lot of stuff is backordered way into 2022.

olscrounger likes this.
  14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Gary, I think since you have a good midwestern attitude and work ethic most of your customers understand what your up against. Btw. I need a t-5 kit! Haha!

olscrounger likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the update Gary, I'm sure that one or more of us will refer to the thread when someone fusses about either not getting something that they ordered quick enough or being turned down for the order.
    The whole supply chain for just about everything is screwed up right now. The article below shows the container ships full of stuff headed to the US that are anchored around Puget sound because they can't unload. That is all up and down the west coast. No doubt there is something that someone on here is waiting for on at least one of those ships.

This news video is from Aug 26. Shipping delays caused by full cargo ships waiting to unload along West Coast | king5.com
    The guys who work on those ships can't go to shore because they haven't cleared customs. Then you have the self important home owners bitching about those ships being in "their" view

16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad situation right now. I was going to do another 40 std coupe. Much is not available anymore. I have all the front end parts(grille, trim etc) but the parts I usually use for the builds are not available and they say maybe in the spring? I do have a Walker radiator stashed in the attic. Not going to embark on a project then end up with a half done car. Guess I'll just wait and see.