Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How not to build a hotrod - My '33 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Sparkle, Jan 6, 2018.

1. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Great looking bike. Pan heads are my favorite. And looking forward to more hot rod building.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Nice job on the Pan, what happened to the shovel head?

Oh, car is looking good too.

Cliff Ramsdell

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I sold the shovel to my buddy that helped me build it; it helped fund the panhead. He's already thrown a 93" stroker engine and a Springer front-end on there, it's pretty cool now.

4. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I'm partial to the R-series Stude in the background. :)

Stogy, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. HotRod33

HotRod33

I've just spent over an hour reading this thread.... Best hour I've wasted in a long time..lol

clem, Stogy, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  6. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Yeah, sorry about all that. One day there will be a grand reveal that makes all the reading worthwhile. I just don't have any idea when that's gonna be. I just like bacon and hitting shit with hammers sometimes, you know? That can't be rushed.

7. HotRod33

HotRod33

Don't apologize.... This is one of the best threads going on here....

8. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

That statement would make a good t-shirt or throw pillow,
    “ I like bacon and hitting shit with hammers”

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Stogy, OahuEli and 5 others like this.
  9. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 842

Get distracted by various things and maybe a person mentioned quite some time ago. Also do some bike stuff. Watch Carl Sagan.

Step 843

Work on door gaps. Just the passenger side though. The TV is easier to see while working on that side.

Step 843

Work on external door handle Rube Goldberg linkage. Bear claw latches were never meant to be used with a door handle, if you ever wondered. Maybe just shave your handles next time.

Attached Files:

10. Rckt98

Rckt98

Welcome back. I have said it before but this is one of the most entertaining threads on the HAMB.

11. Just checking in to see that you have not fallen under the spell of rat rod bicycle build or future ex-girlfriend. Try chips and really good salsa for getting motivated.

12. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 847

That's a real nice engine mount, firewall, and transmission tunnel you got there. It'd be a real shame if someone.....hacked it up...

Attached Files:

13. HotRod33

HotRod33

That's a cool transmission tunnel.... Glad you're back working on the hotrod

loudbang likes this.
  14. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I'm trying my best to find some other distraction. Kinda looking for a '34 Ford sedan, that would help delay the coupe project quite nicely.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is kind of you, should help a former '34 owner fund his unfinished project/projects.

Bob

williebill, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  16. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 852

That whole cutting the motor mounts thing? Hacking a big stupid hole in the firewall? You know why? The engine was out far enough that I could see the tranny adapter. Bugged the shit out of me forever. You could practically fit a Kia between the head and the firewall.

It needed to be moved back 1.25 inches. It *had* to be done. The tranny plate just sat there and mocked me, I had to hide it behind the firewall, even if it took a few days of work to make it happen.

Attached Files:

17. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 857

See? Isn't that better? Satisfying. All is right with the world.

Attached Files:

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...I understand the feeling of accomplishment, You do deliver quality on so many levels...I'd be just as happy with every milestone...

Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  19. The devel's in the details.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

I like the flat toped transmission cover, drilling the holes for the coffee cup holders will be a bit easier.
    Bob

Stogy, Runnin shine, Tim and 4 others like this.
  21. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

You gotta think about beverage handling when building a hotrod. Most people forget about that.

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Much better

beater40, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  23. hipojoe

hipojoe

I love your planning and forsight that you put into your build..... or lack of it! The hold my beer and watch this mindset. I own a sawzall, welder, grinder, I will figure it out. Dont slow your roll ,doing great!!!

24. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I honestly overthink everything to the point that I freeze and don't get anything done. Then when I do finally get it done, I over think it some more and redo it later on. It's a bit annoying and it's one big reason why this build has taken so damned long. Once I do finally decide though, I'm all about whipping out the cutoff wheel and some hammers, for sure.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

I spent a lot of garage time thinking about the tools I needed to buy to make the last advance on my project. Worked out just fine, having the proper equipment does make for safer working.

Bob

26. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 899

Finally finish up the tranny tunnel and front of the floor. What little curve there is in the panels was just made by smacking the piece with a plastic mallet, no English wheeling.

Filling that giant chasm of despair was a big step. It feels like a car now. I'll have to seal up the sides of the toe boards later when the body is off the frame.

I'm still not really sure where I'm gonna put my feet. That stupid TKO600 is super duper wide, and it's all in the cab because I didn't want the oil pan hanging down too much. I'll figure it out eventually, I guess. Or buy a '34 sedan instead. We'll see.

Attached Files:

27. Having a place to put your feet is over rated! I love checking out old race cars for some of their inovated solutions...like the monster Moon pedal mounted on the passenger side. I'm sure it's comfortable enough for 10 or 12 seconds...what else do you need?

Btw...love to see that you're back at it...with your step by step instructions, I'm going to print out the steps as a blueprint for my next build.

28. chiro

chiro

This thread is an inspiration. I so look forward to the notifications when "progress" notes have been added. Lol. Love the plastic hammer metal forming. Just right.
    Andy

Runnin shine, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  29. Osoty

Osoty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob made a good observation about your transmission tunnel. Every self respecting hot rod has cup holders. Great attention to detail

loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  30. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I'm gonna set up the gas pedal so the passenger controls it. It'll be like a team building exercise. You're a genius.

chryslerfan55, OahuEli, Stogy and 3 others like this.