Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How's your pushrod doing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DDDenny, Aug 14, 2021.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

warbird1 likes this.
  2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

The "length" is the most unknown or forgotten item in the pushrod world.
    Many don't understand the valve lift, loss of having a too short (usually) or too long, (occasionally) that a mismatched pushrod length gives.
    It also can put more side load on the valve with a mismatched pushrod and help to prematurely wear out the valve guides.

A little Studebaker side note -
    I bought two sets of aluminum rocker arms (different ratios) from the only folks making a rocker for the Stude engine.
    I had heard of all kinds of problems with them, so when I had them in hand, I did some careful inspection.
    The only thing that I found, was that the adjuster "cup" in the rockers was too small for the pushrod ball.
    I called the company and asked the question. Their comment was, "that's all we offer". I mentioned that, "then this rocker isn't really for a Studebaker engine then...right, do you have the correct adjuster" ? They hung up on me.
    It's no wonder the hot rod Stude guys were having "pushrod" problems. AND, I'm amazed that no one else in the Stude world caught this, and told the rest of us.
    It cost a BUNCH of money to find and then, finally buy the proper adjusting screw/cup that both fit the rocker arm AND the Stude pushrod ball..!
    "That's all we offer"...what a bunch of crap...

Check your rocker arm and pushrod assembly closely before bolting it in place, you COULD save yourself a big headache.

Mike

osage orange likes this.
  3. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

It ain't what it used to be :rolleyes:
    Mostly only do my own Small Block Chevys and use the 3/8 and 7/16 Proform pudhrod length checkers along with a adjustable length push rod. Measure the test push rod and get a set that is the closest to it ;)

4. That sounds like poor customer service. Let other Studebaker owners be made aware of this.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep, and that is the good thing/bad thing about having ABSOLUTELY everything you could ask for in the aftermarket for engine building today (unless you have a Studebaker).;)
    So many variables in cams, lifters, rocker arms, heads, blocks, etc that can stack up and render a stock length pushrod incompatible for that particular combination of parts.

Tickety Boo likes this.
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

There was a similar deal with pushrods for Y-Blocks, the cup was a little bit too shallow, a little bit too small. Cracked and broken cups was the result. Probably quite a few of those defective pushrods still out there lingering on the shelf.

Deuces likes this.