Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects YARD ART ROADSTER (BUILD THREAD)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Haven Hills Auto Club, Aug 9, 2021.

1. So, I love rusty iron in my yard. I have 4 old trucks and a 45' Willys Jeep hangin around. Great to look at, but too far gone to restore. I really wanted to make a rusty Roadster for in front of the barn. I gave a VW beetle to a friend and he said his sister had pulled a Model A frame out of the woods that had been converted to a hay wagon. After I dropped of the bug, we went a made a deal on the frame. A few days later I was walking through the swap meet at the Gilmore Car Museum and found a cheap 26/27 Model T Roadster body. I got it home and mated the body to the frame and instant yard art roadster. But is it too far gone to build? Should I let it rot next to the barn? Or should I take all of my spare parts and build a rusty roadster? My wife wants to plant flowers around it, but the rusty roadster is talking to me. What do yall think? 20210807_184904.jpg

2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

It's not happy rusting to death. Build it.
    Marcus...

3. I've seen a lot worse cars built into nice finished cars, but i too have a rough sedan in the side yard, mine is thin as paper where there is metal. HRP

4. That body looks like a good starting point, unless all of its paper thin

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

your dime, and your time - imagine most would say build it or, sell it to someone that will build it - as yard art, plant vines that will cover enough so you will not have people asking if For Sale

6. AndersF

AndersF

Looks like a better start then what my coupé was.

7. That doesn't stop guys knocking on the door and asking, I get it all the time, there isn't a piece of wood left and there is no frame, the wheels are buried in the ground. HRP

[​IMG]

8. Alright, well... I may know were a 1940 flathead v8 is hiding. I have a good Model A rear with juice brakes, a 36' trans that needs rebuilt, and some other miscellaneous bits and pieces. The body has the doors, but the whole thing is rusted through on every panel. The cowl is cracked right down the middle. I did some searching for parts and windshield parts and the rear deck lid in shity condition are way to much money for rust. So if it were to get built, I would need the deck lid, windshild, 28/29 grille shell, and papers. If I can't find those parts at reasonable prices in shity condition, my wife may get her flower bed. I think it would make a great TROG or dirt drags car. But the budget is super low on this one. If anyone has some shity parts for sale, send me a message. I need some used 16 inch tires for those 35' wires too. If it's meant to be, I will be sure to keep you posted.

9. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fiberglass the back side of the thin sheet metal. A quick and easy way to add strength back into the body.

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

another way to add thickness and strength is POR15. they suggest more than one coat

11. Most of the 'experts' here would have that up and running in a weekend, ready for a coast to coast cruise. Just ask 'em..

12. 57Fury440

57Fury440

If that was in my yard I would be working on it already.

13. Squablow

Squablow

When I was still looking for a turtle deck for my T, I would have gone a long way to get what you have there. It's very fixable. If you're not going to fix it, send it along to someone who will. I'm sure you'll be able to find something else to make a planter out of.

14. I appreciate the tip, however if I build this A/T Roadster, I won't fix the rust. It will stay rusted. I may straighten out the panels a little bit, and add some bracing for luck, but I won't fiberglass, bondo, prime, or paint a solitary part. I don't want a rat rod either, just something to play in the dirt and sand with.

15. I'm willing to trade straight up for a rusted out roadster or coupe. I'm not married to this one yet and I don't have to be. I just need a replacement if this one goes down the road.

osage orange likes this.
  16. But....you ARE married to your wife!! Keep peace in the family, no matter what these guys (that want to spend your dime and time) have to say. Keep the 'favor' in your holster for something you REALLY want! JMHO, YOMV

17. I do want to be clear here. I will not purposely let a good project decompose in my yard, but I have a hard time justifying cutting apart years of history and abuse only to use the scraps as templets and send the rest to the scrap yard. I'm with all of you guys, there may be just enough life left in this carcass to revive it, and that may happen. But without papers it just parts. Like I said, if someone has some shity parts for sale, send me a message. If the parts are found, I may build it.

chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  18. So, I'm 32 grand deep into a 31 Roadster and have seven other active projects plus the house. My wife is at her limit. She has been bothering me to find a cool car to plant flowers around for in front of our barn besides the cool rusty trucks. I gotta give her something. Need a rusty coupe, roadster, or maybe a tudor to save the T.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I mean you could always put some flowers in the deck and do both lol

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang... You and I aren't very far from each other. I want a roadster. But it sounds like it's toast. If it wasn't so crispy, I'd be talking with you. Then again, if it was in better shape, you wouldn't have started this thread.

21. chev34ute

chev34ute

It’s amazing that you consider this too far gone, when companies Like Macs and Howells supply most of the replacement panels needed to rebuild it. You are far better off buying the replacement panels and selling it off rather than letting it rot into the ground.

Sell it to someone who needs it and spend the money on a crappy a one piece fibreglass roadster body instead. It can be painted up and drilled out to like look like a rusty steel one and last a lifetime as a flower pot

chryslerfan55, 41 GMC K-18 and Lil32 like this.
  22. I will have to take some better pics. The frame is ready to break in half and atleast 50% of the body is rusted through and the other 50% is thin and cracked. If it were sand blasted, there would be nothing left but swiss cheese. The whole car would have to be replaced with new metal and smeared with bondo or lead to paint it. There is nothing to weld to. The shape is cool, but the metal is wrecked. And no fiberglass in my yard thanks. No history there.

chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  23. Still waiting on someone to offer up some parts..

24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

looks like it needs patch panels, deck and doors, build a RUFF ROD with it...
    bet ya that when you get a little more than half way through it somebody is going to have to have it....
    lets you move up to a better body ... if you want that...

25. Howdy neighbor, I don't know what your metal working skills are, but this roadster is a basket case. Anything is fixable, but how much history are you willing to cut out and replace with patchwork. If your after a nice show worthy car, this is not for you. At best, this is a TROG candidate. I'm still riding the high of bringing it home, but I can keep ya in mind if I loose interest.

chryslerfan55 and Rickybop like this.
  26. Do you have any crusty parts out back? I have the doors. Need the deck lid and windshield parts.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. micshotrodgarage

micshotrodgarage
    from colorado

I'm putting one together too; but They all need work, If you want to build it I have some doors and better rear panels. More pictures side to side and the floors, to see what you got to work with.

Mike

Haven Hills Auto Club likes this.
  28. gene-koning

gene-koning

Put a price tag on it and see how many step up! Otherwise, it looks like a flower pot to me!

There are usually lots of tire kickers, and lots of guys that want to spend your time and money that vanish when you start talking about their time and their money.

I've been married 45 years. I'd much rather have a happy wife then to know happy strangers. Gene

29. I will try to get some better pics later today. I'm waiting to hear back from a guy with paperwork. Then I need to sweet talk the wife's grandpa into letting go of the 40' flathead. Two big pieces to the puzzle. I would love to build this out of other peoples castaway parts. If it's meant to be, it will live.

chryslerfan55 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.