Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Bought a 40 Merc not a Dodge, a MERC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Gonna go look at this tonight with the wife, dropped my youngest off for horseback riding n she saw it onthe drive home and fell in love with it.

the price is decent, I’m hoping he’s negotiable.

The front end is gorgeous!!
    I know parts are easy to get.

How do they drive , stop, steer ?

It’s supposed to be a restored get in a drive car, but how good are they in modern traffic ? 2CB941D8-6C4E-436C-8C7F-2A7E515972CF.jpeg

2. 0FEC3101-9D9D-4907-A866-B2E00E160535.jpeg C6AA1354-A62D-40BC-BCB3-49171985E213.jpeg

and before it starts I know a 4 door ain’t a 2 door but more doors means more whores so I’m ok with that !!

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Good looking old car! I had a Fordor slant back. Is it a V8-60 or 85? Mechanical brakes suck, but they sell (or used to) inexpensive kits to "tighten them up" that are worth investing in.

Stogy, VANDENPLAS and Jim Bouchard like this.

4. Slopok

Slopok

Hey, you do realize it's not a Dodge, don't you??? :D :cool:

5. :rolleyes: I know I know ….. lol

@gnichols MECHANICAL BRAKES ?!?!?!?

6. Should be leaving here in about an hour.

let y’all know what I find.

hopefully the brakes have been converted. Guy said it drives great . Hopefully with decent brakes. Lol.

7. chucka

chucka

Friend bought one (stocker like the one you're considering) and drove it all over the place for a couple of years before he rodded it. Plenty of room for family and friends (and food) and loved it even when it was stock. Mordors make great cruisers!

Stogy, VANDENPLAS and gnichols like this.
  8. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I had a ‘40 Ford Fordor for about a year about two decades ago. 100% stock and all original. Bought it for a price so good I thought if I can’t resell it I could part it out and make money.
    We had tons of fun going out to lunch with the car full of friends. It quickly became our go to the sprint car races car as we could put everyone in it and arrive in style. It was a perfect go out to dinner car with friends.
    I was never afraid to loan it to someone that wanted to drive an old car or out of town Hot Rod friends that were visiting and wanted to go to the local cruise night not in the rental car.
    It had biasplys and the stock flathead with the three on the tree. Everyone had fun driving it or driving it around. It was a great car.

Stogy, VANDENPLAS and gnichols like this.
  9. Better reread your 2nd post Vandenplas ,I'm sure your wife isn't that approving !!

lothiandon1940, Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. Still got the wide fives on it ,so likely mechanical brakes

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.

11. FLOORS !!!!! It’s supposed to say FLOORS !!!!!! Dang auto correct :D

12. More amusing this way , never realized you could get more in a four door LOL

13. How much more cool stuff are you Canadians hiding up there??? Wait...Jimmy Hoffa maybe??

14. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Well, did you buy it?

15. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The greatest thing about an old car is they drive like an old car!

16. So what's the skinny on the car ??
    V8 60? Mech brakes ? Is it going to your driveway ? Come on man we got to know !!!!

Stogy, VANDENPLAS and dirty old man like this.
  17. Ok, went to look at it.

the paint is good, no bubbles, bondo or weirdness .
    Chrome is good.
    Interior is good
    All doors hood , trunk open snd close great. Gaps are good

24 stud flathead rebuilt carb new distributor snd tune up stuff fluids etc .

says he has everything to convert it to 12 negative ground.

did not have a chance to hear it run or drive it. He was having a party and me n the wife had to pick up the kid.

the wife approves !

he’s negotiable on price.
    I’m gonna swing by tomorrow again

18. It has mechanical brakes

f I get it I want to swap hydraulics on it
    And seat belts

Truckdoctor Andy and Stogy like this.
  19. Man that is one good looking car and I hope it works out. HRP

clem, Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. 37 should have a 21 stud engine to be original
    Although the 24 stud engine is cheaper to modify , Hydralic brakes are easy .May even have what you need here . Seat belts are always a good plan !!
    You could always play the not original motor card !!!

21. I agree with HRP , that is one fine looking
    Auto- mo- beel !!!!

22. Huh , come to think of it , I have a rebuilt 37 engine at my shop in the mezzanine, first year with water pumps in the block ,and insert bearings on the crankshaft prior to that water pumps were on the heads and Babbitt bearings. Mine actually has block off caps on the block and pumps on the heads .

23. Yes the wife likes it so that’s one hurdle I don’t need to
    Jump!!!

How are they on the highway ?

24. Should be a comfortable 55-60 mile an hour cruiser , if mechanical brakes are set up properly they really do work good , as with any old original car ,best to drive defensively!!

25. Like everything though I dont like being out on the 400 series hwys 4 o'clock friday afternoon in my other car .LOL

26. :rolleyes: I got the company van and a 407 transponder !! ( toll hwy no traffic ever but spendy )

screw that rush hour nonsense :D

27. Any idea what year the flathead that is in it is ?

28. No clue , how could I find out easily ?

Like I said I’m going by tomorrow when we both have e time to run it and talk etc .

29. Go drive it. You may just want to improve on the brakes. Or just drive slower. it nice you get a car that doesn’t need much and looks great. And you can take the family around in it.

TrailerTrashToo, Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.