Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930s Era Champ Car - new project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Nov 20, 2007.

?

Another question: Posi or non-posi?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2021.
  1. Posi for two-wheel traction

100.0%
  2. No Posi for better handling in the corners.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

More little things done.
    The cowl flange is permanently installed.
    I made a lip on the cowl to hold the rear of the hood.
    Started on a gas pedal mount. I think I can make something to bolt to the trans and "float" above the floor.

cowl 01.JPG cowl 02.JPG gas pedl 01.JPG gas pedl 02.JPG

loudbang and HJmaniac like this.
  2. spanners

spanners

I like what you are doing very much. I did my time as a panelbeater (bodyman) but wished I'd got into coach building (motor body building it was called over here) to do this type of work. I spent 40 years driving trucks instead.
    The dash looks good but would another 1/4" lopped off the bottom edge and finished with a piece of round welded to it be helpful when legs come into contact? For example when hitting road humps or when exiting in a hurry.

3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thank you spanners. That round edge is a good idea. I wish I had known what the final trimmed configuration would be before I engine turned the dash panel. I do not know how I could weld something on now without upsetting the look of the engine turning.
    I did round over the bottom edge to reduce the risk of slicing myself on it. Whenever I do a panel I deburr the edges. I have suffered enough skinned knuckles and forearms in the past from slipped wrenches, etc. that I do have an aversion to edges and corners

loudbang likes this.
  4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Have you considered using a padded leather tube over the edge like they use around the edge of an open cockpit aircraft?

loudbang likes this.
  5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I will consider that. I'll look into how they addressed that issue back when.

loudbang likes this.
  6. loudbang likes this.
  7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'm confused.
    I need help.
    In virtually all of the champ and sprint car pics I've seen there is no visible means of fastening the nosepiece to the frame. Clearly there was an effort made to hide the fasteners and keep the front clean visually and aerodynamically.
    I have not decided how to fasten the nose, but I don't want to have visible fasteners. Moreover I want the nose and hood lines to match up so the rear edge of the nose needs to be firmly attached to the radiator hoop to match the front edge of the hood. Any suggestions are welcomed. Here's the area I'm talking about. The radiator mounting hoop is where the two will meet. I was going to add a flange to the rear of the hoop like the one on the front of the firewall. I just need a way to fasten the nosepiece without visible fasteners and make it match the hood lines.
    sr_shell58.JPG
    Hood 01.JPG
    sr_shell29.JPG

[EDIT - 15 min. later: Maybe an extension off the back edge of the nosepiece with an inset flange? Then the hood front can lay on the inset flange? Then underneath it all do the hoop flange to hold the nosepiece inset with countersunk fasteners??]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    JOYFLEA and loudbang like this.
  8. Here is a thought. Slot the hoop from the front. maybe a keyhole or a T-Slot. Maybe 2 on a side. Weld threaded studs on the inside of the nose piece. You can then slide the threaded studs into the slots. Fasten with a nut, washer, and lock washer or use a small castle nut and pin for vibration sake. You can use Zeus fasteners on the underside. PIA I know because of experience.

Another Idea is to put a interlocking flange on to of the hoop. One half on the hoop, one on the nose piece. Make one position adjustable for and aft. Slide flange halves together. Once flanges are interlocked fasten underside with Zeus fasteners.
    Just my 2 bits.

loudbang likes this.
  9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks HJ. I am still thinking this through but I am leaning toward adding a flange off the back of the hoop and another offset one off the nose and nesting the hood down on the nose. The nose will be held down with countersunk screws.
    Secure the hood with leather straps and maybe a tube across the bottom edge of the hood for rigidity.

CHAMP 01.png

HJmaniac and loudbang like this.
  10. Or you could do that....

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

gas pedl 03.JPG I made the plate that will support the gas pedal. It is pretty stout so I can put the full force of my weight on it without fear of deflection. It is held in place by four studs - three in the servo cover and one coming up from the oil pan.

I'm thinking of cable actuated throttles. I once had a bad experience when a solid rod bound up and locked the throttles open.

12. AmishMike

AmishMike

That “1930” race car looks more like a 1950. The next one you posted for 1932 looks like a 1932. Not your fault but messed up. Love the 32

HJmaniac likes this.
  13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Yes, that is a good example of upholstery. I love the aged leather look too. I think I'll add a steering wheel pad too, like that one.
    Boy, somebody sure went nutz with an electric drill with that one.
    I wonder if that red tank is what looks to be a fuel tank and was tacked on just to fire it up and do parade laps. Looks kinda sketchy down outside the chassis.

True, but some of those cars from the '30s survived to race post WWII. There are some things that look like '30s - no roll bar protection - and there are some things - the USAC sticker - that are definitely of the '50s.
    My example will be a replica of a car that may have been built in the '30s but survived with updates to have been raced into the '50s. Of course a few things will be totally out of context, like the 3-speed transmission and a starter motor and fuel pump, etc, all in the interest of functionality over historic accuracy.

14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

More work on the accelerator pedal. The mounting plate is 3/16" thick and the heel cup is .102" thick. The top of the heel cup will get rolled backward to prevent abrasion. A bushing will be installed near the instep to hold the pedal. Some of the other protuberances on the mounting plate are for throttle stop, cable attachment and return spring, if needed. If not they will get cut off for further weight reduction.

gas pedl 04.JPG

gas pedl 05.JPG

15. spanners

spanners

Maybe some acorn nuts on the bracket so your boot doesn't get caught up on the protruding bolts in case of speedy exit?
    Sorry, I've got a mate who built a salt car and was very particular about egress from the racecar especially when doing the blindfold exit for scrutineering that's why I look for that type of thing.

16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Yes spanners, I had planned on acorn nuts on the bracket, but thanks for reminding me.

loudbang likes this.
  17. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi FTF.Could you use button head bolts instead of the studs and nuts.Less protusion into the shoe space,and no chance of hooking a shoe on a fast exit.Not exactly era perfect,but not really noticeable.
    Loving the build.And thanks again for starting this thread.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Hi wood,
    Yes, I may use button heads instead, especially on the one close to my foot. Or I may cut the studs down a little more to shorten the intrusion.
    The "band adjust" post near my ankle will get a rubber cap on it.

19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Here's the preliminary gas pedal pattern. The final one needs to include a cable anchor, return loop, return spring, stainless spoon, and adjustable throttle stop.

gas pedl 06.JPG gas pedl 07.JPG gas pedl 08.JPG gas pedl 09.JPG

20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I took four days off to take two drag cars to the Rock-N-Race nostalgia event at Dragway 42 in West Salem Ohio. I drove my "Last Logghe Altered" and my neighbor buddy George drove my roadster pickup. He is a relative newcomer to this sport; a few years back I offered him a ride in this aging and unused RPU.
    He learned well.
    He ran in four races over the weekend - got two wins and a runner-up!
    Runner-up'd in a Heads Up eliminator (against a seven second blown AA/A).
    Won Hot Rod 1 Eliminator!
    Won Nostalgia Altered Eliminator! (including beating me in the semi finals)
    What fun!

Last night a friend gave me a hand brake lever from an old car or farm implement that I will repurpose into an outside brake handle on the champ car, after I drill it full of lightening holes. Its heavy. George 42 01 (2).jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    ottoman, loudbang and HJmaniac like this.
  21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

No picture of the brake lever?

loudbang likes this.
  22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

All the ratchet locking hardware will be removed and a new mounting pad will likely be needed. Depending on how I set it up to talk to the master cylinder and foot brake pedal I may have the pivot on the end and the actuator rod on the central hole.

brake 01.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  23. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Nice piece of vintage hardware. Don't go crazy making it light, it has a nice manly mass to it.

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

OK. I may put off lightening it until I see if it will need any offset bends in it to clear stuff.

After a trip through the de-rustification tank and some sandpaper here is what it looks like. It is a GM part. Are there any GM parts gurus that can identify make and model? brake 02.JPG brake 03.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

B'golly, that's it.
    Thanks HJ
    It will even be era correct.

loudbang likes this.
  26. May I suggest when and if it comes time for lightning holes. How about tapered slots that follow the the taper of the lever strategically located in the lever. Maybe the length 3x the width. Just my 2 bits.

loudbang likes this.
  27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

HJ, not sure I have the technical capability to do that, but I agree it would look cool. I don't want to lighten it now and then find out I have to heat and bend through a lightening hole. That would not look "right".

28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Gas pedal pattern V 2.0
    As configured the cable will stroke as much as 3.5"
    The Hitachi carb linkage travels 1.5" from idle to WOT, so plenty of cable travel that can be fine tuned with a bell crank if need be.

gas pedl 10.JPG gas pedl 11.JPG gas pedl 12.JPG