Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 3rd times a charm Speedweek here I come

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lucky Burton, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

Good luck out there. Hope to be able to see the car in person in the next day or two.

Stogy, Lucky Burton and loudbang like this.
  2. I took this pic back in 2019, way cool car. Go well.:cool::cool: JW
    [​IMG]

3. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

I'll be there starting Sat. afternoon. Looking forward to getting up close to the car and possibly meeting up with you.

4. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

IMG_20210807_130029.jpg Got this picture right before you left the line this morning. My wife also got a video of you leaving the line.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Smoked Hotrod...Priceless shot @Rynothealbino...This is what makes me proud to be a Hamber...The Talent band at this site is bar none the best in the world...Lucky...I can't imagine the thoughts going through your mind every time you walk within range of this beast...you nailed it!!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  6. brady1929

brady1929

Go fast and be safe.

Lucky Burton, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  7. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Well thank you! I tell you what. Even though I finished it 3 years ago I personally feel I have been looking at it for 20 years in my head. I am so shocked by the outpouring of press and some of the nicest things folks have said to me about this car. I’m just a guy with a dream and feel extremely blessed and humbled by the response so Thank You!!

AHotRod, Cooon, Hemi Joel and 14 others like this.
  8. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

I just got home from Bonneville and things didn’t go as planned. I had some trouble with new rule change to my arm restraints and it left me feeling trapped as my restraints were now to short and I couldn’t reach switches and fire bottles. Anxiety can be a bitch. I had to get out at starting line and chill out for a bit. Finally got back in and made my run only to blow a head gasket in the car. I think there’s more damage and I didn’t want to pull it apart on the salt so I decided to relax and enjoy the rest of speedweek and watch some fast cars instead.
    my plan for the car now is to blow it apart and start over with a different motor. This one has givin me nothing but grief for 2 years.. next year I will be ready to make some decent passes on the salt. I also am going to make some other changes like adding rear suspension and a few others. I really want to thank everyone for all the kind words. This year just wasn’t my year to go fast but I’m optimistic next year will be great!!!

9. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

T/Y for the very honest reply sir.
    Safe Travels.
    Stretch

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lucky, I understand it's short of your goal but you gave it your best shot and made the right decision to reconfigure for next year...

Nothing but proud of your efforts to hit this Giant of the Speed Age with Pistons a Pumping...glad you and the Hotrod are able to give this challenge another assault next year...HighFives Hamber...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  11. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from ct

Bummer!!!! Have to say that 90% of the fun is the pursuit, so keep on moving forward, you will get there.

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That's a bummer but you learned. Get out there next year and kick some salty ass!

13. Totally understand. Bonneville is hard, otherwise everyone could do it. Take some time, regroup and hit er hard again. Looking forward to the next episode even if we know the ending.

14. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Thank you! I think always in my mind things would go easier but I’m in it for the long haul. I’ll get there

loudbang, pprather, AndersF and 2 others like this.
  15. 296ardun

296ardun

If Bonneville was easy, everyone would do it. You built an incredible car and gave it a try. That's a whole lot more that I have done, so good on you!

16. What are your thoughts on adding rear suspension? Curious to know what you are planning. We are toying with the idea as well.

loudbang, Lucky Burton and Stogy like this.
  17. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Lucky, It was great to meet up with you on the salt. We appreciate the time you spent with us and we are big fans now for sure. That is one beautiful car.
    And in case anyone doesn't already know Lucky is a guy who doesn't mind visiting with you and sharing stories. I was tempted to ask if I could sit in it and I have a feeling he would've said yes, no problem.

Attached Files:

18. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

My plan is to throw some coil overs in there but I have to reconfigure a bunch of stuff

Stogy, loudbang and Tman like this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

Found this shot on bangshift. :)

1a.jpg

6inarow, D-Russ, Shadow Creek and 3 others like this.
  20. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"What are your thoughts on adding rear suspension? Curious to know what you are planning. We are toying with the idea as well."

I'm thinking the underground "ditch" is playing more havoc with relatively short cars with no rear suspension. The allegedly "good" salt is not that good. Especially when the starting line is back almost to the Nugget parking lot. This makes the "ditch" farther out and at higher speeds than when it (as I try to remember) was often in the first mile.

Years ago, Impound was at the 11. And it had better salt than what I saw this year at the 5. Look at the aerial shot of the salt over at by the mountains. And that's where most of our "World's Fastest Indian" was shot, whatever that year that was. In my opinion, it's absolutely impossible to fix (of course if LandMass takes on the project, who knows!).

21. You are right about the ditch/underground stream. I remember 20 years ago crossing it and then having to drive for what seemed like FOREVER before finding the pits/impound.

Stogy, loudbang and Lucky Burton like this.
  22. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Yeah I agree. It was pretty rough for running rigid. That’s why I’m changing it up

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  23. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

All part of the journey Lucky. Thanks for letting us ride along. One of the coolest A coupes in all the land. Love a legit windshield grafted on. Love everything about it.
    The in car video from the TV program had me feeling claustrophobic and I was on my couch. Throw in the heat, that tight coupe, the cage, the suit and helmet and the effing too short arm restraints and no go dude. I raced road race karts and 100mph on this sled, no problemo, but throw me in a box, I'm out. Was running really good one year, went to the Nationals and everything went wrong. Ran 3 classes, zero good finishes.
    Keep at it brother.
    . Laguna Seca I.jpg

loudbang, Lucky Burton and Stogy like this.
  24. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Here’s a sunrise shot

Attached Files:

y'sguy, 6inarow, D-Russ and 10 others like this.