Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Engine and pinion angle question 39 Ford SBC

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Smart62, Jul 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Smart62

Smart62
    from UK Sussex

Hi Is anyone running a pinion angle of more than 4.5 degrees with a Ford 9 inch? My SBC engine angle is 5 degrees so need to match it with the diff or reduce the engine angle. Thanks for your input.

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  2. There’s plenty of 4x4 broncos in that range

3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Providing the pinion angle is parallel to the tail shaft angle, there will be no issues.

Tman likes this.
  4. And that’s potentially incredibly incorrect without further info.
    If the drive shaft goes up hill to the rear ,,,

2OLD2FAST likes this.

5. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

^True. Carry on.

6. Smart62

Smart62
    from UK Sussex

Thanks, so, as I now understand it the pinion and engine angles are the same ie the diff and engine are parallel - they align. But the diff must be positioned relative to the out put shaft so the operating angles are no more than 3 degrees. Is that right?

7. Operating angles not exceeding specs are important for maximum u joint longevity. A little more and they wear out quicker. Way over and they wear even faster. Exceed the max and they quickly self destruct.
    Is changing u joint easier than getting the engine angles a bit more user friendly?

8. Smart62

Smart62
    from UK Sussex

Thanks everyone. Here's the specs for my chassis. Engine sits on a hurst cradle at front and chassis engineering chassis centre plate mod kit at the trans end. SBC Engine sits at 5 degrees with the chassis at ride height. Drive shaft is 1/2 degree down at the back end to mate with ford 9 inch. So having trouble making the 3 degree limit. Any ideas appreciated?

9. Just so everyone is talking the same lingo...how about posting a few pictures of what you have going on.

Now might be a good time to move/redo engine mounts, trans mounts, axle pads etc. But it's hard to tell without seeing what is going on.

Blues4U likes this.
  10. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

The 4x4 guys do very radical angles. If need be they sell different degree shims for the rear to adjust the angle.

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

One wonders what angle the frame sits at to achieve a 5° engine angle ?

12. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

The best thing you could do is to reduce the angle of the engine/trans.

13. Smart62

Smart62
    from UK Sussex

Thanks everyone I'll post some pics and info. In the meantime does anyone have a 39 or 40 with an SBC and not cut the firewall? If so what's your engine angle? Cheers Smart

14. Budget36

Budget36

I might get smacked, but I don’t look at engine angle, with the yoke bolted to the tranny I put flat stock on the yoke and angle finder to the flat stock.
    I figure that’s a better look at operating angles than a angle finder on the intake.

sidewayzz69 and Tman like this.
  15. Totally, that is how it is done. No idea why this always comes up as voodoo and is so hard for folks to grasp.

PARALLEL NON INTERSECTING

[​IMG]

16. Really,,, the reason is because that pinion being parallel with the output shaft is pointing down. Not up

17. That is the optimal driveline angle ,,?

Tommy

18. Put a trans hump in the floor & raise the trans. Drive shaft down angle increase and rotate the pinion.
    I’m guessing the trans to floor relationship is messing the angles up.

19. You can have engine/trans at zero, drive shaft at zero, and pinion at zero -
    it be between optimal and just fine if your pinion is located off center of rear housing

1oldtimer likes this.
  20. There is no optimum, always a compromise. Goes back to the reason Ujoints were patented over 100 years ago. This is not rocket surgery

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  21. No idea WTF you are trying to say

LWEL9226 and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  22. Parallel means equal slope same direction
    That visual says trans down pinion up while showing the pinion down.
    Slopes are read pictured and displayed AND determined left to right always. A positive and negative slope intersect. A down trans and up pinion intersect.

23. look at the the imaginary lines projected off the trans yoke and pinion, they are parallel, non intersecting. This is the best way I have ever heard it described to laymen. My old boss at the hot rod shop used the visual to help customers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of ways to look at it but if those two lines cross, you will have binding and wear. I think where folks get crossed up is just like the OP, using some arbitrary engine angle and/or carb pad angle. OR trying to inject too much math into it. As @Budget36 said, slap an angle finder on the end of the tranny, same on the pinion, get it down to a low degree number as in under 5 and call it good. Ujoints are there for this reason.

24. Sorry Tman,
    I got “Optimal driveline angle “,,from your diagram l
    It states it at the top of the diagram .
    That’s why I ended my statement with a question mark .

Tommy

Tman likes this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are we really doing this again?

427 sleeper and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  26. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is what alot of people don't quite grasp. Coupled with mislabeled diagram's further complicates things. ;)

27. On my hot rod the carb mounting surface being level my transmission output shaft was 3*down. This dictated a 3* up on rearend. Seems simple enough.

WB69, Tman and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  28. BJR

BJR

You don't want the crank center line in perfect alignment with the pinion. The U joint will not move and the rollers in it will get flat spots on them. That's why you want them parallel but at different heights so the U joints move. Or the pinion off sideways to make the U joints move.

WB69 and pitman like this.
  29. Smart62

Smart62
    from UK Sussex

Looks like sound advice there. Thanks everyone fr your time and replies.

Ok. I get that the two have to be at the same angle and both driveshaft bearings are therefore also the same angle. Which has to be 3 degrees or less. One question though. can the prop shaft be rising toward the back end or does it have to be falling? I am guessing falling angle.

So for my car - The one fixed height is distance from ground to the diff output shaft. This diff shaft must be below the trans output shaft or level with it.
    Everything else can be altered.
    So, I can either lift the chassis at the back or / and drop the front and thus lower the engine angle, to get my 3 degrees (although this increases the distance between ground and trans output shaft.
    Or I can lift up the trans mount thus levelling the engine
    or drop the front of the engine to level it.

Is that right?
    cheers and thanks

30. Smart62

Smart62
    from UK Sussex

Thanks.

BJR likes this.