Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Getting The Most Out Of I Beam Truck Suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Hey all, 55 Fargo/Dodge still running stock I beam and stock steering.
    Like to get the best possible ride out of it, and will not be clipping her.
    A few reasons, don't mind the stock ride and handling characteristics, but want to improve it as much as possible. I do not have the skills or inclination to clip it either.
    I would like to remove 1 or 2 leafs outta each pack to lower truck, 1 to 2 inches and get a bit softer ride.
    The current status, 8 leafs in each spring pack up front, 7 each in rears.
    I installed new tie rod ends new shocks a few years ago. King pins now have slight play and time to replace. Steering box not bad, with some slight play nothing radical.
    All shackles and bushings need replaced, front left spring pack flat and no arc left.
    Driving on gravel, or smooth highways ride is pretty decent as it is but can be much better.
    If it were a Chevy or F100 , lot more after market support products you can buy.
    Dodges, shackles and bushings no problem, springs another matter though.
    So let's here what some of you have done to maximize ride and handling with your I beam trucks...

2. TCTND

TCTND

If you want to optimize what you have, you could disassemble the springs, clean and smooth the surfaces, grease them liberally, and wrap them in leather boots. That will eliminate most of the friction, which is a large contributer to a harsh ride. Top it off with good quality shocks (Bilstein etc.) and it won't be a Cadillac but will be far more comfortable than it is.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  3. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

If the springs are not the same arch, take them to a good spring shop and have them re-arched to match. Rather than grease, get some spring liner to put between the leafs...not nearly as messy. If you want to pull a couple of leafs, take out every other one, starting with the second one from the mail leaf.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  4. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yes, they need to come apart 4 sure. The main spring eyelets are cause 4 concerns if outta round can't use em.
    Thanx