Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Question about tradition?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Jun 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GEZSFRK

GEZSFRK

No need to be sorry I hang out here for the word kustom…. My style is my style and if I stepped on some some toes by initial post……

2. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

There are many inconsistencies on the hamb about what is traditional and what is not. It puts me in mind of the NCRS who went nuts with correct markings on bolts, nuts, rubber and everything else. Some of the moderators have the Barney Fife syndrome . They mean well but get off track sometimes. I had a post kicked off asking about 1963 Corvette rear end under a 32 coupe. It was an actual 63 unit which should fit the guidelines. Please think before you act on a post.

Tman and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

sounds to me like a 70's modification using a 1960's part if you ask me. Do you really think it was traditional (common) prior to 1965 to put a 63 vette IRS in a 32 ford??

4. clem

clem

I got really slammed a few years back for suggesting that a certain ‘32 (fibreglass, reproduction chassis, suspension etc and disc braked, radial tyres, auto) build wasn’t traditional.

(Was initially meant as a warning to the poster, as other similar threads had been deleted).

Apparently I was wrong and it was allowed on the main board, not the ‘traditional’ forum.

I have a similar build, only non original parts later than 1964 are 5 speed box and reproduction parts such mirrors, shocks, cowl and tail lights. I thought that it didn’t fit here so was careful about putting up photos.
    So I guess I understand the confusion.....
    16AA87AA-E9DA-4836-8618-3B4B27F25916.jpeg

so follow the guidelines, and if not sure, ask the moderator first !

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  5. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Your car is your car. I am doing somethings to my 36 coupe that are not traditional and I will never show them here once start my build on here but once done will look traditional so it is what it is

6. If you post a 1932-34 Ford with independent front suspension you can be pretty sure it's gonna get the axe but post a photo of a 1940 with independent front suspension, don't show it and don't mention it and if it doesn't show your pretty safe.

Old cars that came equipped with independent front suspension will get a pass, cut it out and install a aftermarket IFS and mention it and it could be deleted.

Keep it visual, try to adhere to the traditional credo, if your using a LS engine, keep the hood closed.

It's strange how some later model equipment gets a pass, like the 5 speed transmissions, it's all up to the moderators,if you have any doubt ask. HRP

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Exactly!
    And that's the value in the main board, it let's the people that don't want to chase that "traditional" rabbit feel like they belong here.
    I thought maybe you were referencing my car but it doesnt have an auto. transmission.:D

clem likes this.
  8. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Again - remember Fellas we make editorial decisions we deem as off topic or outside the
    ERA of "Traditional Hot Rods and Custom Cars".

Editorial decision means - a decision we make that you may or may not agree with.
    If you have a post deleted - we have no problem if you want to PM Moderators to discuss the decision.
    With many posts to Moderate - Moderators CAN'T send PM's to everyone explaining why.

We ( Moderators) are paid a lot of money to do this job so we have to do it right and as consistently as possible.

Ok Ha Ha on the Money - we donate out time.

Do we make errors some times ?
    Sure. But we don't pick on anybody specifically.
    Most of the time when a report comes in -I look at the post to review it and decide to reject the report or delete the post -
    I don't look at who posts it.

So that's it in a nut shell.

*** NOTE *** Public Service Announcement.
    Last thing - please don't post any Big Billet Wheels / Rubber Ban Tires or billet aluminum all together.
    Moriarity goes BSC - Bat Shit Crazy / totally anal about it and will die young from stress because of it. :eek:
    I've got plenty to do and keeping my buddy Mark calm helps tremendously. :D
    Thank you. :)

Deuces, bowie, woodscaper and 9 others like this.
  9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I got a thread deleted wherein I was hunting a particular car (in a haystack!) but in my zeal to talk about the car I inadvertently failed to edit a picture, maybe two, to exclude some offensive items on similar cars... dummy me. I didn't PM to complain or fuss about it as it was self-inflicted! I saw later that I had gotten a notice from a moderator about deleting a picture or two because it was deemed offensive. I hadn't realized any pictures had been deleted... I hit the red light and go to the next unread. If dummy me had been more on top of checking my comments from others and maybe reviewing the thread once in awhile; the thread might have survived.
    The good news is that a fellow hamber remembered it was me looking in that haystack and he PMed me with some added info and we actually found that car in the haystack!! I've talked to the builder... great guy but doubt he'd part with his 39 chev convertible. I was hoping to find one done or mostly done that I could "tweak" to suit me.
    Opportunities!
    A big THANK YOU to all the guys that put up with the rest of us and make the hamb the great place it is for car guys.
    Al

10. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I have hundreds of pictures posted here and less than half a dozen deleted. My '54 had modern wheels and was axed immediately so I just positioned the truck at an angle so that the wheels were not shown and then reposted, no problemo. My T bucket had a Littlefield blower with billet parts... axed immediately. Lesson learned.
    Now when I take pictures I stage to car to eliminate any problem or I crop it to limit any chance of someone's panties getting in a wad.
    At 72, I forget many things, like what I had for breakfast or have I worn these socks this week, but the rules here are very easy to follow. Lets not analyze until we are paralyzed.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Mark, this is where I think the 'traditional' definition sometimes breaks down. By using the 'common' qualifier, that tends drive things down to a lowest-common-denominator level and discounts the guys that were innovators back in the day (before there were 'rules'). It sometimes seems that if it was done by a 'big name' guy it was OK, but if done by some unheralded guy who didn't get any major ink it's not. Now I'll agree this wasn't something 'commonly' done, but that doesn't mean it was never done... You could use the same rationale to ban BB Chevy motors; while just barely within the HAMB era, they didn't 'commonly' appear in rods right away.

I know, it can be a tough call. But you can't spread the gospel if the church is empty...

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

it is a tough deal, but just because someone did something once, doesn't make it traditional. think of the definition of the word tradition......

13. squirrel

squirrel

They sure hit the racing scene right away. And doing an engine swap with the latest, greatest mill from Detroit was very common through the 50s and 60s. Independent rear suspension? Not so much.

14. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

The traditional designation seems strange when year appropriate parts are used but the build does not fit a subjective definition. Basing the definition on period magazine coverage which may have been running pictures taken years before publication or what was seen in a particular region at the time seems to result in different versions. Not every hot rodder was doing the same things pre-1965. The tradition was building your unique vision.

alanp561 likes this.
  15. SS327

SS327

I’m pretty sure the Cheata,s had Vette IRS in 64. Not to throw gas on the fire but there was an A roadster running around my area with stock suspension up front and 63 Vette IRS in the rear. This was when I was a kid. He told me he built it in 63 when a wrecked Vette came into the dealer he worked at. He said he would have used the front suspension too but it was wiped out with the engine and trans, in the crash. I’m pretty sure The Corvettes with IRS got raced right away too.

alanp561 likes this.
  16. Always remember,,,,,,,,,,TRADITION !!! 1FFB2707-EBA1-4B38-9A60-748A161CF0B2.jpeg

17. goldmountain

goldmountain

I sorted hinted at this problem years ago by submitting to the 60's rods - post what you like thread, an article from the June 1965 issue of Hot Rod. Even the age of the magazine meets the Hamb criteria. It was about Chris Knudsen's Model A Vicky. This car had a fully hand built IFS and IRS - not a Jaguar part in sight. This car flat blew my mind when I was 13 years old. I would really like to document building IFS on my '34 Austin. No conventional hot rod parts fit this little car and I'm pretty sure that no one here will attempt to copy it, but it is still against the rules. I understand that you need to keep some things out but a little leeway would be nice sometimes.

18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I didn't read the whole thread, but he only made that one post.

Sounds like maybe causing trouble was the idea...

19. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sub quote
    “ I understand that you need to keep some things out but a little leeway would be nice sometimes.”

I was waiting for that comment.

This is where you fellas need to fully understand this ….

With 2-300,000 members if Moderators give ONE guy a little leeway then a 1,000 other guys want leeway and then the HAMB becomes NOT the HAMB and just a 1-800 website.

We run a tight ship for this very reason.

To keep on topic .

“ Traditional Hot Rods and Customs “
    1965 and older.

48fordnut, Deuces, Squablow and 5 others like this.
  20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, leeway will ruin this place. Everyone is here for the same reason correct? Because we like traditional hot rods and customs.

21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got kicked a bunch of times for my sone 40 Chevrolet having Centerlines on the front. Truly a HAMB friendly car but they’re not allowed. Limited to engine photos which is fine.

22. A91C6D93-3D55-43D9-A892-3A607419A174.jpeg a perfect example, hamb era, probably a really nice car too. Wrong wheels and 20 lug nuts so that shit cans the whole thing. Easy save
    A91C6D93-3D55-43D9-A892-3A607419A174.jpeg

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

pro street is off topic, those cowl hoods sure were not around in 65 either

jimmy six likes this.
  24. indyjps

indyjps

Jim,
    post up some pics of this mazda paint, minivan seat, mustang 2 suspension hot rod. Now, Im intrigued. :D

I dont think anything Ill ever build will fit the definition of traditional, I just cant pass on upgrading every system. My build thread will likely have a post that says "then some non traditional stuff happened" and I keep moving along.

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think centerlines first came out in 1979

jimmy six and Just Gary like this.
  26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I really think this has run its course... this question has been asked hundreds of times. this is really not that hard

jimmy six, Deuces, bowie and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.