Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Scotch-Brite angle grinder discs.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, May 3, 2021.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Disclaimer: Not mine I have no connection to this product or video. :)

Looks like they would be very useful.

AVater, williebill, Oilguy and 4 others like this.
  2. Two seconds of demonstration and 5 minutes of blab.

Have to say I have these and use them to strip paint to bare metal. They work well when kept away from sharp edges and corners.

cretin, Fortunateson, vtx1800 and 2 others like this.
  3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

the 3M 6" striper discs are better than these little things.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Really, I'd say not.
    They are made to do very different tasks..!
    One's VERY aggressive. (the 3M stripper), one is a bit easier (Scotch-Brite) on the surface..!

Mike

5. I really like these and have learned Rim Speed has a lot to do with how well they work. Slow is much better than fast. This car had 3 paint jobs and a little body filler on this quarter and what you see took me 3 hours and two 6" pads. The bare metal is as smooth as it was fresh new in 1957. No tooth or swirls at all.
    1-22-09 001.jpg

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I use this type of disc pretty much exclusively to strip paint. They don't remove much if any metal, and take old paint off quickly! I stripped my entire '39 Chev coupe using almost only one disc, but did swap to a new one to finish the stripping. I don't buy the 3M brand simply because the price difference. I buy 4 packs off Fleabay for $10-$12 a pack.

[​IMG]

72yenkonova and loudbang like this.
  7. 'Surface Conditioning Discs' is the generic name and for cleaning 'stuff' off of steel/iron without removing any parent metal are unmatched. Also the best tool for prepping aluminum for polishing I've ever found although you do need to be cautious with the maroon ones as they will take off substantial material if you get aggressive.

Pist-n-Broke and loudbang like this.
  8. I just used it to clean the gasket area on this intake I was repairing

20210424_180240.jpg

You can also use it on aluminum parts to make a fake engine turned type look, I did this on my off topic rocker covers on my shovelhead and also on this gauge panel I just made to see if it's something I like or not.

20210407_170511.jpg