Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Who could build a hotrod without the power of the H.A.M.B.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Feb 3, 2021.

1. The HAMB.....the ultimate hot rod tool box

SR100, chryslerfan55 and grumpy65 like this.
  2. Lots of info here. Lots of super talented folks. The knowledge here fits so much in the custom industry/hobby.
    Many of my students have been shown thread like “candy, lace and flames”, kusrom blues, 49-51 mercury pics, tired or homogenized hot rods, and others.
    I can do a google search on lots of topics related to most things custom and the HAMB will come up.
    Keep up the good work people.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. gene-koning

gene-koning

Back in the 60s and 70s, the guys at the gas station on the corner were the guys you talked to and learned from, because they were the guys that were doing it back then. Another great source was the guys running cars on the local dirt tracks, or drag ways, but you had to sort through what those guys would tell you, sometimes it was pure BS. Many schools had auto shops (at least around here) where teachers were willing to teach anyone that really wanted to learn. I was lucky enough to have a lot of guys the poured their knowledge into this young pup.

Back in the early 70s, I was that 16 year old kid at the corner gas station with the hot rod car that was doing the tune ups, brakes, and other repairs on your dad's or grandpa's cars.

These days, the corner gas station sells you gas, pop, booze, and milk, but doesn't do anything with cars. Most schools no longer have auto shop classes. For the most part, the HAMB has replaced those places where us old guys learned to do this stuff, and we have become the teachers. Like all teachers, some are much better then the rest of us. Gene

4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Hahaha! So true!

loudbang likes this.
  5. 4ty

4ty

Back in the 60's it was the "little books" with their articles, speed shop catalogs (Honest Charley's, etc.) that helped me put my 32 5W, Olds. 39 trans together, using a donated swing set and a 1/2 ton chainfall.
    Paul in CT

loudbang likes this.
  6. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I was building stock cars back in the 60's and 70's and in the 80's till now I'm building hot rods and muscle cars. Never had a computer back then. Spent a lot of time at swap meets and race tracks.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Short answer...
    I could, but it's so much better to have the HAMB.

But it depends on what I was building. Later stuff... post-war... no big problems. Because I'm more familiar with it.
    But if I was to ever attempt an early, very traditional hot rod build... Model A, etc... I'd definitely need some help with a few of the particulars.

One of the neat things about the HAMB I've come to realize. I don't care what the subject is... something as basic and mundane as cotter pins... there are ALWAYS aspects shared that I didn't know and would have never ever thought of on my own. Many many times, I've clicked on a thread about some seemingly simple thing, thinking I probably won't learn much.
    LOL... right.

8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I will be the first person to admit that there is a vast amount of education and talented people on this site. However, I built my first car, a 1932 three window in 1962. I only purchased my first computer in 2010. I built several cars, my '32, '55 Chevy, '60 Corvette and two Model A's. before 2010. Pre-computer we used catalogs, junkyard's and good old ingenuity.

loudbang likes this.
  9. TCATTC

TCATTC

Never knew this site existed until a couple yrs ago, this internet thing didn't exist in the 70's, didn't even have access to it until the 90's here. We are actually discussing traditional cars by using modern technology.....go figure.

chryslerfan55, AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  10. My dad could, and so could his dad, but I lost both of them, so I needed the HAMB. I came here in 2007 knowing a little, and in 2012-2016 I built a 40 Ford with tons of help from this place.

alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  11. goldmountain

goldmountain

As a kid, I would look at the magazines and envy the people in California since it appeared to be that the majority of hot rods were there. Here, I see just how vast the numbers of Canadians are and the quality of our work along with people all over the world. It truly levels the field.

12. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I was building cars long before Al Gore was even heard of. It is much easier today with the wealth of knowledge available at the push of a couple of buttons.

alanp561, loudbang and High test 63 like this.
  13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The circulation numbers for publications has six geographical sections. The Midwest was always number one in circulation for all the car magazines. West coast came in second. When I was in the advertising business and saw the magazine reader surveys, I was pleased to see that advertising was one of the top three reasons reader’s bought the magazines.

chryslerfan55, AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  14. Books. All those books before forums. The written before digital.

15. das858

das858

I was building cars for 34 years before I discovered the HAMB . Mostly learning from my dad who was a hot rodder and mechanic since the '40's . But the HAMB has been a huge help . We learned everything we needed to know about building our front engine dragster from the HAMB .

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Being as old as we are, it would be a daunting task. So, for us, buying a hot rod that is in several stages of completion, a running, reliable daily driver would be our choice for the present. There are some great ideas here on the HAMB, but not all builds are in our choice of what a hot rod should be for us. Our history has nothing to do with our current choices of a reliable daily driver. It is the satisfaction of being able to go anywhere without any doubt as to the result of traveling or visiting a location or two.

Instant start up, continued reliability over thousands of miles and feeling satisfied once we arrive home are key elements. Does the HAMB offer those items? Sometimes, a small amount of information strikes a chord and could be included in a repair or accessory. But, for most of us, we are people with some history of old hot rods and there are some here that just don’t get it. That is not bad because it is their way to see a build or result of a build. We are all individuals that like reading about new ideas, but still stick to our old hot rod ideas that seem to fit our lifestyles.

Having grown up in the rabid hot rod/drag racing scene in So Cal has/had its merits. The style, amount of designs, the creativity, all work into the finished product that most see as a true hot rod or custom. Somehow, the So Cal style is one that is copied most of the time and that shows where good styling/accessories make a cool hot rod. But, even in So Cal, there are plenty of different camps with different ideas as to what makes or breaks a good design in a hot rod.
    upload_2021-3-29_4-18-47.png

Jnaki

Building a hot rod or custom can be done without the power of the HAMB. It was done for many years of the hot rod history. We spent months figuring out and correcting the errors from the prior builder of the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. Finally, we were able to sort it out to become one of the most reliable cars we have owned together.

But, these days, it is a solid presentation of some people that do their own thing and for some, it would be a great idea to see a skill set and design work. It is a different era, but, it works, for most...YRMV

So, don’t feel bad about being in an accepted group, it isn’t always a walk in the park. Some ideas just don’t fit the lifestyle or design that anyone else has chosen. To accentuate the point: “Go your own way…” was one good idea coming from a cool rock and roll sound.

But, we all do need parts and construction items that can’t always be just around the corner, although in So Cal, there are so many custom hot rod builders and shops scattered all over that it is a good place to start, too. HAMB is a nice place and the ideas and threads are fun to read, until someone goes off the deep end making a thread get shut down.

Good thing there is a copy and paste technique for preservation. It is not the only thing, although some think it is, but it is very comprehensive in trying to keep the flame alive, for all generations. Kudos…

17. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Back in the day the magazines had some real how to articles as opposed to buy this kit and bolt it together how to's.
    I feel this is one of the factors that led to the demise of magazines as we knew them, yes I am aware of the corporate
    buyouts and consolidation etc.

hotrodjack33 and loudbang like this.
  18. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I was very fortunate for the influences I had. My uncle could fabricate virtually anything. My Dad ran a body shop. One of his friends was an excellent upholstery guy(he has been doing it for probably 50 years). Another friend was a longtime transmission guy and veteran drag racer. Another of his friends ran the 66 service station. And so on. These are the people I was surrounded by for as long as I could remember. However, even with so much of an advantage I still learned a lot by making mistakes as well.

So, COULD I build a car without the HAMB? Sure. Do I have any remote desire to subject myself to all the trial and error headaches again? Not freakin likely!

19. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

This thread is quite conflicted as most of the people on this site are trying to use technology that was pre internet.

alanp561 likes this.
  20. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

As much as I love the hamb......I really don’t need it to build anything.

21. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Very well said !

loudbang and Frankie47 like this.
  22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Well I guess since there was no HAMB for most of my years of building cars, I'd say I can get by doing one.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and AHotRod like this.
  23. AHotRod

AHotRod

I built my 1st Hot Rod, a '40 Ford in 1972 and many, many more since, and I'm still doing it without the internet.
    Remember, Hot Rod's have No Rules !
    Use your passion, imagination, creativity, and skills and go to work.

24. gene-koning

gene-koning

There are a lot of people here+ building stuff with more recent technology, they just can't tell you about it here because that is not what this site is all about.

AHotRod, loudbang and 19Eddy30 like this.
  25. Naw....I'm way older than the HAMB, and way older than some ham( I like ham).....and probably in them early years it was the influence of others that got me involved in this stuff. If I'd never seen this deal it probably wouldn't have altered anything I did when any of it mattered.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and AHotRod like this.
  26. Texas John

Texas John

I did, back in the mid-'70s (the green '34 Ply in my avatar). With no one to talk to to see if I was doing it right or not, no internet, no aftermarket suppliers with how-to stories, and in a 1-car garage. No big deal - that was just what we did then and didn't know any better. The junk yard was our friend!

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just here to be sociable.

I posted previously that I could probably build a later model with no help, but that if I attempted a real hot rod... an earlier model... I'd need some guidance. Well, I've been gearing up and gathering parts for the last year or so to do just that.
    I'll tell you what...
    I've had to do so much research.
    Especially since I'm not building to a "formula". Kinda blazin' a new trail here.
    Even if not always the HAMB, I've had the internet just smokin'.

There's a lot to know.
    A lot to find.
    A lot to figure out.
    A lot to learn.
    A lot of decisions to make.
    But I'm having a lot of fun.
    And besides... I've been sitting here for three fkn months with a broken foot anyway.
    So I've had time.

The latest thing was artillery wheels. AKA General jumbo, Clev-Weld, Clark, Bud, etc., '30s aftermarket wheels that would accept balloon type tires.
    Pretty cool. Interesting.
    But...
    Are they available?
    Is the price right?
    Will they fit?
    Did guys use them?
    Hurry up, before that set on FB sells!

With the HAMB and internet...
    Took me the last 3 days.
    Without the HAMB or internet...
    Would have taken forever.
    Maybe impossible.

The answer?
    Decided I'll stick with the tried and true blackwall bias-ply tires on painted '40s Ford wheels for everyday use. And drag tires on the chrome steelies for show and go.

Now...
    8.75 or quick change?
    Buy a windshield frame or make one?
    A front axle that'll work?
    Buy some headers or fab some high-flow manifolds?
    What kind of seats?
    Blue? Red? Black?

Fuuuuuu........................ k!
    I mean...
    Fuuuuuu........................ n!

:D

chryslerfan55 and alanp561 like this.
  28. The thing about the HAMB is even if you THINK that you know a lot about building a car, there is always someone on here that has forgotten more than you will ever know about a subject. There is more knowledge on here than any other source possible in my opinion.
    I have learned so much from you guys on here. I just wish my abilities were even close to the talent I have seen here.

chryslerfan55, Rickybop and alanp561 like this.
  29. 48stude

48stude

Without the Hamb , this car wouldn't of happened.
    IMG_0149_Moment(5).jpg

30. the Hamb is just a magazine for now......useful, if its got what you want and interesting for all the stuff you find along the way.

chryslerfan55 likes this.