Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sunday models

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by milo1303s, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Mike-model

Mike-model

Meantime, after looking at this motor for a while, decided to change the zoomie color. I have two other cars with black zoomies, one with white. The white just looks better on a model, my opinion. So, here the same old motor in a new dress....
    -IMG_3702.jpg -IMG_3703.jpg -IMG_3704.jpg

I like this look now.
    Today the fuel tank was finished. Tomorrow a chute pack is planned. Moving along.

Mike..

2. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Thanks everyone. I took a lot of time and tried to fuss over details and it turned out better than I even expected.

3. Thanks man....agreed...that shot of the couple in the T Bucket parked somewhere on Mulholland Dr looking over L.A. at night is the stuff of dreams.

Mike-model, quick85 and Deuces like this.
  4. rudestude

rudestude

Once again Mike you have just .....ok..your work is beyond words,and the ones I use to describe your attention to details and keeping the smallest of parts to the proper scale and even the texture on the valve covers , the coloring on the headers . Your amazing.
    Earlier I was doing a bit of research in a medical book and I run across a section that had clinical definitions of different things ....so I got the idea that I would look up something that would best describe your attention to the details and such on how involved you are in the accuracy of your model building skills that produce such high caliber finished models.
    I figured if I could find some really cool clinical term to use other than amazing, great and others ,that would be kind of cool..well Mike...I'm just going to keep saying all of the ones I normally use..up them a bit by putting "totally" in front.."totally amazing"
    The reason is everything that I could come up with "clinically" had the word "insane" in it...in a good way...lol.
    So Mike. I'm just going to keep saying.. your work is awesome , your awesome and keep doing what your doing ..totally.
    Stay Healthy.
    Terry (aka Rudestude)

Sent from my SM-T307U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I must agree with Terry. It's not like I'm fawning over your work but your
    ability to put out something so "insanely" kool is just really impressive.
    Patience is a virtue and you appear to have a ton of it. What you do with
    these miniatures is akin to building a clipper ship in a bottle. I'm not into
    ships but I can certainly appreciate the skill and patience needed to build
    that bottled ship. Your cars are just as impressive to me as I love vintage
    front engine dragsters. Hats off to a master modeler.
    Mitch (quick85).

6. Mike-model

Mike-model

@rudestude...Terry, that's about the most humbling comment I've ever received. Being 70 now, these slide down better than ever. The best part is though, since we've previously messaged, is that I know your comment and thoughts come from the heart! That's a big deal, for this makes you a greater person, as you are so able to give more than you may receive. A big deal. A very gracious thank you for this.

Mike..

7. Mike-model

Mike-model

@quick85, I realize you've been around the block a time or two and I surely appreciate your support for this and other projects as well. Also in my opinion, it's clearly shown that you have a special appreciation for these old vintage FEDs. Trust me, guys like you are a huge and positive kick-in-the-butt incentive to keep going and to further proceed with the plan. I do love building these model cars and there are times when others ask about this or maybe another detail showing that, then I think how was this done?

Well, it's just love of what you do....and there is no clear answer. Just a passion.

Thank you immensely for your support, it's priceless.

Mike..

8. rudestude

rudestude

I don't know how many of you have checked out the "Box Art" thread...model boxes it's got some cool stuff.
    I have posted some on there , a little while back there was a post by Roothawg of a vintage model box he had found at a sale for a couple bucks.
    Well it happened to be of a kit that I had many years ago and I still had the model but not the box, the model was damaged along with all my others but its one of three I still have from my very early years.
    I commented on it in a post ,expressing my interest in it , Root returned with "you want it"?
    We exchanged some info and I just recently received a package in the mail , Root was snowed in for a bit so it took a little time to get it out, it was the box.....very cool...a very nice and appreciated gift from Root, and he even picked up the shipping ...thats really cool...I have actually done the same with models and parts to guys a few times and its cool to be able to do that...but on the receiving end its really cool and I thank Roothawg greatly for doing that.
    There was a surprise to me when I received the box , when opening it up ...what I saw was both odd and funny...its kind of a funny story ...goes along with the holes in the box lid and why my model is broken...its posted on the "box art" thread if interested, I just found it funny and kind of strange.
    Thanks again Root.
    Terry (aka Rudestude) 20210311_110919~2.jpeg 20210311_111012(0)~2.jpeg 20210311_112137~2.jpeg 20210311_121042~2.jpeg

Kit Bash, Sancho, Mike-model and 12 others like this.
  9. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Very kool move on Roothawg's part and a stroke of luck for you, but still,
    when I search ebay I wonder who's crazier, the guy asking twenty frog skins
    for a box or the guy bidding on it.

I've avoided the box art thread. I'd see the art, imagine (and want) the model
    that's inside and I'd drive myself crazy. I worked with a fellow that damn near
    everybody had to like. Friendly, a great sense of humor, would help you with
    a problem in a heartbeat. He had one fault. He rented a storage space that
    was filled with all the kits we'd love to have and he wouldn't get off one, and
    I tried until I realized why tick off a friend by bugging him about something
    so trivial. Secretly though, I still lusted for just one 1959 Pontiac or Buick.

10. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I feel your pain! I have a friend that has a whole house full of old (about 1955-1970 issued kits and built ups) models and will not come off as much as a single part. I have lusted after an original issue AMT 58 Pontiac (he has 5 or 6 of them) but I have give up on him ever letting go of one. I can not make myself give the stupid money for a decent one off of ebay so I guess I will die with out ever owning one. I was 7 in 1958 when the 3in1 AMT kits came out, I still have my very first one, a 58 Buick. Back then the only models I got were for birthdays and Christmas, wish I had ask Santa for a AMT 58 Pontiac for Christmas in 1958!!

11. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Stupid money. Is there a more fitting term for what we see on ebay?
    There is no way I can or will justify spending big bucks on plastic that
    sold for 89 cents. I got my first models in 1959 at nine years of age.
    Model cars were few and far between as I was lucky to get money for
    a haircut when I needed one. My big want these days is a '59 Buick. I
    guess I can understand why collectors or builders don't want to give
    up those precious kits. I have things that could bring in a little dough
    but if I sell them then I won't have them any longer. I still think of the
    automotive paperwork I collected as a kid that's all gone because I
    could make a few dollars on that stuff. Money...what a drag.

12. rudestude

rudestude

I know what your saying quick...and if you get a chance to get a good supply of frog skins , man you let me know I would like to get in on some of that action.
    Frog skin is some of softest and most durable skin you can get .
    If I had a bunch of them I would do the seat of my Studebaker, frog skin , trimmed out with mole fur hides wow....I would drive around naked.
    No I get it , I played on the ebay thing for a bit ,as you know, only reason was I had a little "stupid" money to play with and a new card ...the model purchases wasn't all ...I have a few thousand dollars worth of hot rod parts laying in my living room waiting to go on my 50 Studebaker Champion starlight coupe hot rod build.
    The amount of money that is being asked and paid is what drives the prices up on this so called collectable stuff that it makes it hard for the guy that just wants one for himself , not for collection or sell for profit but just to have .
    The ones I bought were for the purpose to build them ,play with them ..what ever, I can tell you I don't have any problem building any of them old kits even if it involves cutting them up as to a new one ...the end result is for the same purpose...to build one like the vision I have of it in my head . 20210319_215046~2.jpeg 20210318_110932~2.jpeg 20210124_223559~2.jpeg

13. Those two kits of the '36 and the '40 Ford were some of the first kits I had back around '62. That is when I learned about Ford Standards and Deluxes and Ford's cost saving by using the previous yeras design as the current year Standard.
    I know what you say about buying for yourself and building them or not. I have a bedroom closet filled plus with kits I bought at the Toledo Toy show in the '90s and at swap meets over the years figuring I would build them when I am old and retired. Mostly new releases /reissues at the time and I always bought at least two of each. One for building and one to save for who knows what. Well I am 67 with shaky hands, and almost none of them have been touched. My wife keeps asking what are going to do with all those kits if you are not going to build them? My answer is I don't know but I bought them because I wanted them and I still want them..

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I need to make a decision on this kit,do I build it and what version and do I leave it as its made or paint. 20210320_084549.jpg 20210320_084530.jpg

15. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

To me, today's box art has no personality. I don't get the charge that I do when I
    see an old kit. Getting a model was a treat, building it in the goofy way that
    kids in the '50s and early '60s did was fun. I could take my early big axle, screw
    bottom cars on the three mile walk to my pal's house and roll those cars up and
    down his driveway. We'd pretend we were in Cali with our kool cars. It's silly for
    me to be ticked at the guys that hoard them, and that's what most are doing, but
    I want to build at least a couple from my childhood before I pass away. As far as
    Jeff's '34 goes, I say build it and put the box on display. Oh, build it anyway you
    dig, Jeff. Paint or no paint, box stock or try one of the treatments on the boxtop.
    There are so many recent kits you can use to go overboard.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

More Monogram 34s,two originals and some with 60s and 90s parts.

Attached Files:

17. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Half dollar Corvette. All I remember is cutting a hole for an engine ...
    The '58 Cameo promo would have to be as scarce as the real thing. Not sure if it was stepped on before or after the top chop gone wrong ... HPIM3300.JPG HPIM3301.JPG HPIM3313.JPG HPIM3314.JPG HPIM3315.JPG

Sancho, mchook, Mike-model and 9 others like this.
  18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My 49 Ford got paint. 20210320_164837.jpg

Sancho, mchook, Mike-model and 14 others like this.
  19. rudestude

rudestude

302GMC....I like your Cameo
    I have a 55 Cameo promo , I found mine in a landfill dump in a canyon on my property...determined it was my dads when he was young ..the house I live in was built by my grandfather about 115+ years ago so I have found all kinds of interesting things in the old family dump.
    This Cameo saw some modifications ,must be where I get it from, the top on this one looks like it was chopped but I think it was just the shrinkage of the plastic like the rest of it.
    The wide white wall tires and the wheels &grill are not that bad.
    Its now part of my "found in the dump" collection. 20210320_163434~2.jpeg 20210320_163400~2.jpeg 20210320_163458~2.jpeg 20210320_163514~2.jpeg 20210320_163636~2.jpeg

Sancho, mchook, Mike-model and 10 others like this.
  20. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

9_6_2012 021.jpg Flatheadhead Man meets armored Chrysler. My sister built the 6 carbed engine, first release Monogram ripoff of the Cook & Bedwell car.
    The AMT candy red lacquer has held up really well on the '59 Corvette.

Sancho, mchook, Mike-model and 6 others like this.
  21. Heading down home stretch on this one
    Wish I could have “washed” the white seats with something to bring out the details better.
    How many people use floor polish like the guy on Youtube??
    IMG_2283.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sancho, deathrowdave, mchook and 10 others like this.
  22. rudestude

rudestude

Good Sunday morning all...it's almost 5 am and I'm going to go take a nap...but I thought I would post what I was doing all night first.
    Well I did it again ...started another one before finishing others...can't help it , once again I was digging for parts and noticed that old 36 kit I got a while back had a decent body still , that kit was a junk yard lot listing on ebay and I needed some parts for a couple of other builds and it had them so I got it .
    So that kit had the body and I had a stock 3w roof from another but no fenders .
    I have never really liked the looks of a fenderless 36 Ford, coupe or roadster, something about the long rear deck, and I already have a 36 3w coupe with chopped top and other cool parts in the works...its going to be of the custom tail dragger style .
    So I grabbed the tires&wheels and suspension parts from a old Monogram Green Hornet roadster kit, then went to work changing up the body of the old amt 36 kit.
    Like I said in a earlier post , I buy models to build ,old or new ,and I don't have a problem with cutting g them up to get what I want.
    And cut it up I did ...I wanted a shorter rear deck, keep the wheel wells the same but raised up the quarter panels slightly....yet making the rear section still have that swooping flow of the body and roof just more compact.
    Well this what I come up with so far.
    First mock up ... 20210319_215046~2.jpeg 20210318_110932~2.jpeg 20210320_161339~2.jpeg 20210320_161444~2.jpeg 20210320_155130~2.jpeg 20210320_155435~2.jpeg 20210320_160923~2.jpeg

Sancho, mchook, Mike-model and 8 others like this.
  23. rudestude

rudestude

And I actually got the body puzzle back together and I think its looking like what I had visioned.. 20210321_034809~2.jpeg 20210321_034828(0)~2.jpeg 20210321_035109~2.jpeg 20210321_035315~2.jpeg 20210321_035506~2.jpeg 20210321_035522~2.jpeg 20210321_040112~2.jpeg

Sancho, mchook, Mike-model and 13 others like this.
  24. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Terry, now I see and understand what you're doing. The pics tell the story.
    It has a bit of a Fiat coupe look to it now. It also looks like it's sitting behind
    a body shop waiting its turn, or just sitting.

25. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I too would like to know about Pledge floor gloss ( I think) used as clear.

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  26. Getting close to finishing the deuce Tudor. Headlights, tail lights, driveshaft, windshield and a few other details left. I love how this one is turning out. Color is Tamiya pearl green TS-60

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Sancho, mchook, gearhead9663 and 16 others like this.
  27. Dan, that Deuce is bad ass!!
    Lazy morning, good opportunity to finish 90%
    Tiny wipers, mirrors and radio antenna pushed my patience even with super glue
    Been trying to perfect my dry brush technique on chassis parts
    Will find YouTube video link with floor wax application
    IMG_2296.JPG
    IMG_2297.JPG
    IMG_2298.JPG
    IMG_2299.JPG

Sancho, mchook, gearhead9663 and 12 others like this.
  28. Deuces

Deuces

I've been watching a lot of HPI Guy's model building videos.... Look him up!....;)

Mike-model and jakespeed63 like this.
  29. rudestude

rudestude

A friend of mine , I posted this sometime back, does some very nice interior work ...I asked what he used and he said its a kit that he bought ,apparently its got the colors and stuff ,tool,tips?to achieve the desired texture and appearance.
    What ever it is and combined with his detail and painting talent they look like the real thing. tapatalk_1616380815311.jpeg tapatalk_1616380887744.jpeg tapatalk_1616380868155.jpeg tapatalk_1616381202844.jpeg

Sancho, 302GMC, mchook and 7 others like this.
  30. Rude Stude that is incredible!!!
    Here is the link to HIPGuys video with the floor polish technique. It’s towards the end

Mike-model and Deuces like this.