Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What to do with the two 27's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lelshaddai, Mar 15, 2021.

1. lelshaddai

lelshaddai

I will be bringing home these two 27's, Buick and Chevy next week. Not sure what to do with them. Both are original(Buick has incorrect headlights. also sheet metal damage under driver door) been stored in this pole barn for 40 years in Phoenix. I have restored cars before but these pose a challenge. I have not worked with a wood frame. I do not know the complete condition of the frames. I have not seen them other than a quick once over. (they were only $200 a piece from a long term friend)It is a shame not to restore them back but I may not be qualified or want that much work. I thought of rat rod or rodding them out. Are there metal frame kits for these or will I need to make it? Is here a donor car that the frame could be used and have the body dropped on? Or are they just parts cars and just sell off the parts? Thoughts?

27 Buick Standard 6, Model 20
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27 Chevy AA Cap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27 Chevy AA Capitol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

I can understand the thinking of a proper restoration but sadly, there are probably more than enough out there to meet the needs of those who still want a restored car. That is a lot of work for little return UNLESS that is what you really want to do yourself.

chryslerfan55, 56don and Budget36 like this.
  3. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

sell

56don likes this.
  4. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They look nice and complete, I think it would be a shame to part them out or god forbid rat rod them. Get them home and see what they need before making a call... they will tell you what they want once you look them over good.

You don't see solid survivor Chevys and Buicks nearly as much as Fords. It might just be better to clean them up and put them back on the road as they sit. Hot rods are sweet as hell but it is always bittersweet to see a nice survivor cut up to make a rod no matter how cool it turns out. Not everything needs to be pushing 400 hp to be cool.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021

5. scotts52

scotts52

If I were closer to you I'd double your money.

6. Anything but rat rod, even scrap is more dignified.

williebill, TCATTC, X38 and 1 other person like this.
  7. They are metal frames not wood. But wood-based body that is essentially a wood frame with sheetmetal tacked on. Removing the body wood and replacing with metal is a big job.
    Cars look very complete, might be best to just get running and driving as stock, then sell.

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. catdad49

catdad49

Two interesting finds, you can see the family resemblance. I would think that the Buick is a little less common and would probably be my first choice, besides the grille always reminded me of a handlebar moustache! Good Luck with your decision!

chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.
  9. I would GLADLY (and seriously) double your money on the '27 Chevrolet and make a boat-tail speedster out of it (I have a roadster cowl)!

The '27 radiator shell is the nicest of the last years ('24-28) of the early Chevrolet 4 :D

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

sell the Buick, keep the Chevy. align the doors, soak the A pillar wood in some 2part epoxy wood kit to make them rock hard, same with the B pillars. you'll go crazy & broke trying to replace all the wood

11. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

The Chevy would make a really cool panel van

Kume likes this.
  12. You are soliciting opinions right?
    Personally, I would sell or part out the Buick, it would be too much work for an uncommon but not rare car.. a wood nightmare.
    I would probably try to get the Chevy back on the road. It looks a bit more solid.
    But if you are not in love with either one of them you will probably regret putting time and money into something you grow to resent choosing to restore.
    Thats my 2¢

13. lelshaddai

lelshaddai

I pick them up next Thursday. I will get a better idea of condition then. I am retired and do have time. I am not into making show cars anymore. The 51 Studebaker I am working on now is just a driver. I did think of just leaving the outside alone. Get them running and driving them that way. They are true survivors. Luckily Arizona is more kind to cars.
    [​IMG]

14. adam401

adam401

I'll double your money on that buick

B Bay Barn and The37Kid like this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd sell them real cheap to someone that wants to get in the restoration end of the hobby. Not big money cars and you bought them right. What ever you get you will be the guy that makes the most on both of these cars.

16. BJR

BJR

WHAT TO DO WITH THE TWO 27?
    Make one 54!

17. Not all cars should be hot rodded as well as not all cars should be restored. I feel some cars (especially if they are almost 100 yrs old) and in that nice of ORIGINAL condition, should simply made to run and enjoyed by all as they are. These are the perfect condition to take to shows and let people (kids) climb in and around. The history of ORIGINAL decent cars should be cherished. That's just my opinion.

Kume and scotty t like this.
  18. lelshaddai

lelshaddai

I do agree with much you say. I do not rod anymore. I have gone to make drivers. My 51 Studebaker is original(except paint color) I have a 62 Volvo that is original and I have a 53 Studebaker project that is all Studebaker. I just did not want to get too much into them. Also did not want it to be too far beyond my skills.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. lelshaddai

lelshaddai

I also really enjoyed the 54 comment. Made me laugh.

20. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Nailhead in the Buick, GMC 302 in the Chevy. 18 inch Rocket solid wheels, fully polished, and good paint. Like HRM used to be about "Dare to be Different".

21. Figure your costs in picking them up, and forget any handling charges(you're retired right?). Throw 'em out there for sale at a break even price, and get on with your life. Oh, and BTW, everybody will double your price till they start reaching in their pocket...

22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I couldn't see the Buick dash real clear. Is there a plate attached to the dash with a scale on it reading from 1-10, smooth road, rough road with a lever sticking out of the dash? The '27 Buick may be too early for it but I have seen a '29 with a system of bell cranks and rods going from the dash to the shocks so the driver could adjust the ride.

23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depending on where he is in Mesa, he's not over 25 miles away from where the cars are in Phoenix. It's not going to be real costly to move them.

24. lelshaddai

lelshaddai

I am 21 miles from cars. I own the trailer and we need to take two trips to pick them up. Maybe $10 in gas well $13 now with price increases.

25. lelshaddai

lelshaddai

Ok, I was wrong $25 in gas. Truck only gets 12 mpg with trailer.

26. lelshaddai

lelshaddai

Since both are GM products are there any parts that are interchangeable?

27. rudestude

rudestude

This is a shot of a 27 Buick that I sold just a short time ago, it was a one owner car ...when he died in 1957 the car was put in the family barn, with less than 28.000 original documented miles on it and the paint that's on it is the original paint..don't know what happened to the fenders, a friend of mine bought it and stored it at my house ..then he died I got the car..I didn't have proper storage for it at the time, plus other projects.
    So it was sold , and strangely I also have Studebakers.....
    A 50 Champion Starlite coupe ,drove it bone stock for around 6 years now its down for a complete transformation into a Hot Rod,
    Kind of a 70's street freak sorta.
    Just sold a 50 Champion 4dr. a 50 Commander 2dr. and a 55 w/53 front clip and fiberglass hood. IMG_20170818_092234.jpeg IMG_20170818_092620.jpeg IMG_20171130_225400.jpeg IMG_20171130_225311.jpeg 20190813_135252.jpeg 20200711_181923.jpeg 20190523_205750(0).jpeg

Sent from my SM-T307U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  28. lelshaddai

lelshaddai

Very nice. The Buick does have some damage under the drivers door with that long panel that goes to the running board. Hopefully I can find a replacement or fix this one.
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55, Stogy and rudestude like this.