Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So my dad buys a Model A from "Jerry Rigger " AKA bracket man

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbones32coupe, Feb 20, 2021.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I’m going to have to steal that idea.....lol!

Rramjet1, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  3. set me on fire

set me on fire

add a can of STP and it may growl --looks like a cool car good luck

4. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Ha ha ha that's a good one now that is what I'm talk n about keep them coming I want to see rig jobs
    Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

So the right rear fenders fell off so I guess no fenders on the back went out for a cruise and it came off came home and took the other fender off too guess it just does not want fenders 20200714_203043_HDR.jpeg FB_IMG_1595867971216.jpeg 20200714_203545_HDR.jpeg

6. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

My dad bought these spoke rims for the car at a swap meet so as a Christmas present I sanded them and painted them for him and bought him trim rings and center caps from macs early ford as a surprise then sent him the pics he loves it. The rear wheels will have to be reversed to get the look we are looking for but for now it is ok the rear wheels stick out too much but these are the wheels he bought. I may have to get some reversed wheels made but for now these will do. I need to paint some white wall on the back to match soon 20200710_164352.jpeg 20200710_164412.jpeg 20200710_174759.jpeg 20200710_172656.jpeg 20200710_172635.jpeg 20200710_172647.jpeg 20201101_132854.jpeg 20201101_132959_HDR.jpeg 20210206_165411_HDR.jpeg 20210206_165937_HDR.jpeg 20210206_165420_HDR.jpeg 20210206_165401.jpeg 20210206_165930_HDR.jpeg

Tim, osage orange, Packrat and 17 others like this.
  7. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Went to put the wheels on found out the rig jobber drilled out the old ford drums to fit a different bolt pattern the cut off the old studs then ground the rims to fit each wheel fit on each hub meaning that only one wheel would fit only one hub studs were miss aligned so I drove out the cut off studs and pressed in New early ford studs from macs auto and used mounting plates all new lug nuts because the lugs were ground down to fit too with cam style washers on rims that were ground to fit the cam washers !!!!! What a rig job no wonder the car shakes the way it does the wheels were like the national lampoons wagon after the the crash from the dead end road when Clark got it back from the crazy mechanic at the gas station. This is real life hackery!!!!!!!

Tim, Malcolm, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Okay it looks like someone replaced the snorkel of the air cleaner with a squished chrome tail pipe tip (why?):

[​IMG]

9. catdad49

catdad49

I worked with a guy named Booger, but he didn’t have a Model A! Maybe the chrome makes it go Faster? My Coupe came from Carlisle, Pa. , small world.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  10. 5window

5window

Mine came from Carlisle,too. At one point, it had a TV in the console, fuzzy blue sat covers that looked like I was sitting on the Cookie Monster and an unbolted plastic boat gas tank in the trunk. Some changes have been made.

11. Better yet. Last night when I asked you to stay.;) I didn't mean it.:p Alcohol makes everything look GREAT and work!:confused:

loudbang likes this.
  12. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Haha never noticed that one that is a tail pipe and look at how many hoses and hose clamps there are on the rad hose and the rubber foot from a chair with a clamp on the upper

chryslerfan55, loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  13. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Ok have at it fellas check out the ground wires and live wires just hanging or how about the connectors. Trying to figure out wiring problems is like a maze wires go from black to green to speaker wire to extension cord all spliced and sometimes go back to where they started from for no reason. When the guy sold the car to my dad it had a fully charged battery but after driving for while the Battery would die found out on side of road one day. Jumped it with jumper pack and drove home. I put a meter on it and found out it was not charging.Im thinking I'm going to put a whole new ezwire kit in this car . 20210221_153338_HDR.jpeg 20210221_153426_HDR.jpeg 20210221_153352_HDR.jpeg 20210221_153327_HDR.jpeg 20210221_153316_HDR.jpeg

14. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Holy shit what a mess, yank it all out stomp on it a couple times and then burn it.......its possessed!

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  15. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Here is a good one this is an interesting way to engineer a gas pedal and look close at the extension cord running on the floor also look at the high beam switch held on with one screw. It is amazing that all the lights work radio and some gauges. 20210221_153448_HDR.jpeg

16. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Bracket man is back In town this is how you properly do an over flow one small hose some break line 3 metal brackets holding other brackets that hold more tubing that does not even connect together and double up the hose clamps on the rad hose and make sure you have a hand full of mismatched size nuts amd bolts. 20210221_153846_HDR.jpeg

17. Budget36

Budget36

I think you're not complaining, right? But if you are, most of the pics you've posted could have been easily seen with a cell phone flash light, even in the dimly lit garage.

That said, a good deal usually comes with some future work involved, the good thing is you're not patching things over to make it work, but seem intent on fixing the stuff the correct way.Good job.

Now can someone tell me about the rear fenders? Were they stock Model A or aftermarket, or?

18. bchctybob

bchctybob

Well that wiring looks all too familiar. I've had more than one car that had a similar rat's nest under the dash.
    Back in the late '60s a car stereo installer friend of mine told me to get 14 or 16 gauge copper extension cord in bulk from the hardware store to use as speaker wire. He said it offered less resistance than commonly available speaker wire, especially in long runs for rear speakers, and was cheaper. Looks like someone found even more uses for it.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Hey!!! I did the best i could for the $50 he paid me! :D

20. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Home made fenders and no I'm not complaining at all just doing this thread for a great laugh. Me and my dad are just getting a kick out of some of the engineering on this car. It has us laughing together and having fun with it. And yes I'm planning on fixing things along the way take one project at a time. We are happy with the car it is cool but as expected with any project there is a lot to be done to make it the way you want it. True when we looked at the car in the dark garage it was hard to see a lot of this stuff and we knew it was going to need work. We knew about this car it is a local car from around town and it used to have a blown hemi in it and it was not channeled at the time so we kinda knew the guy who owned it. From the outside the car looks great it drives good too. It is a fun little car. We just have had so much fun laughing about things I just have to share it with all of you hambers

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  21. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

I took the old alternator out tested it and it was not working so I pulled this one out of a junk car and threw it in I do need to change out the conduit pipe holding it in but for now I just want to get it charging so we can drive it. When I first started it up it was charging but I could not shut the car off even after disconnecting the ground on the Battery the car would not shut off so I took the coil wire off to stall it. Here I come to find out the ignition switch was wired backwards and back feeding the power from the alternator back to the coil. So I took all the wires off the ignition switch and wired the Correctly and now she is charging good and oil pressure is much better now that we put the 50w oil in 20210221_153909_HDR.jpeg

22. Look at @REBEL Wire who is an Alliance Member here for a new harness. Good quality and very easy to install as every wire is labeled.

Tim, mcsfabrication and loudbang like this.
  23. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

It's enjoyable to read of all the ridiculous bodges on this car, that you get to fix.

I'm always amazed how some people like the former owner are able to actually get a car to work despite ample evidence of incredible incompetence.

I'd like to know what the fellow who did this to the car does for a living.

24. When you get the bugs worked out, consider chopping the top.

belair likes this.
  25. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

I'm happy to make you smile and brighten up your day that is what this thread is all about yes we can fix anything that is wrong but I'm finding out how hard it must have been to build this car with a drill a hacksaw and a cheap harbor freight welder youtube welding for beginners. I mean you got to give the guy credit he took what ever he had in his closet or scrap metal laying around to build this luckily he did not build the frame that is sturdy and done right or he had someone else weld that stuff. Hahaha lol my friend here are some more pics of the floor pan work

5window, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

As we pull up the floor cover and pull out some wires that were tucked just under the seat so you cant see them. The floor plans look like a great use of the old metal shelf he used to have in his garage. No need to have a yard sale when you can build a car with your junk. Oh and blow up the picture of the channel work the whole car was channeled with nuts and bolts and tac welds. I plan to weld this together and take all the nuts and bolts out. Oh and there is more to come. 20210221_153539_HDR.jpeg 20210221_154525_HDR.jpeg 20210221_153623_HDR.jpeg 20210221_154728_HDR.jpeg

27. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Ok this had me and my buddy shane in tears we were laughing so hard. So just look at the amazing bracket man In action. So the story go's when you slam on the breaks the spring pulls the cotter pin out then the next stop light the pin falls out and you have no breaks ha ha ha this is great just look at all the brackets and screws and who knows what that crome thing is.some kind of thing nut or something. This pic still makes me laugh. I may want to fix this one first. This brings a whole new meaning to bracket racing High five!!!! 20210221_153510_HDR.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  28. So it would fit !

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  29. Are I the only one that thinks the dash is worth the price of admission....minus the factory AM/FM 8trac - maybe sell that to finance a motor rebuild kit ?

[​IMG]

30. gene-koning

gene-koning

When were you under my dash taking pictures? OK, just kidding, maybe...

When did spot welds and nuts and bolts not become an acceptable methods of attaching two pieces of sheet metal together? All I see is there were not enough of one or the other. I've seen and fixed worse.

Maybe should post pictures of how you fixed everything. There are some people that come here that have no idea how this stuff should be done. Pointing out how bad you think it was without posting how you fixed it will only discourage those that don't know. It is pretty worthless to post pictures of faults if you don't post pictures of the fixes. Gene

40FORDPU, MRTS33, RMONTY and 5 others like this.