Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fixing a smashed 31 model A pickup cab.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Mar 17, 2019.

1. I made up a strap hinge that will eventually get riveted in. I put a couple screws in till I prep the back sides. IMG_1611.JPG
    IMG_1612.JPG IMG_1613.JPG IMG_1614.JPG

2. plan is to make up four brackets to bolt through the rear brace with a couple pins for the hinge. IMG_1615.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG

3. Stopped over Ted’s barn today and the pickup bed looks even better in person.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

loudbang, Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  6. Great looking tailgate!

loudbang, Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  7. thanks!
    made a template for the brackets out of card stock and cut them out of 2x1 angle. I drilled them out and made a couple pins out 1/2" rod, using a washer for the head and drilling out the opposite end for a cotter pin. IMG_1617.JPG IMG_1618.JPG

8. I shimmed the gate on either side and clamped it in place, assembled the hinges and clamped them down. I drilled out the crossmember. I used round head slotted 1/4" bolts IMG_1619.JPG

9. once bolted down I tried the gate.
    next step, the chains and upper hook loop. IMG_1620.JPG IMG_1621.JPG

10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

you are on a roll bud

Stogy, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  11. almost done. I made a cardboard template for the other half of the hook system to hold the tailgate up. I cut them out and welded them in place. IMG_1624.JPG IMG_1625.JPG

12. while it was cooling I cut the belt buckle crap off the chains, and attached the chain right to the eyelet .I marked for the hole, drilled it and filed it square. IMG_1623.JPG
    IMG_1626.JPG IMG_1627.JPG

13. gate swinging and latching and lays flat for sitting on. next step will be to finish the rear cross member. IMG_1629.JPG
    IMG_1630.JPG

14. Time for a "Tailgate Party" :D

loudbang, Stogy, OFT and 4 others like this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ahhh... Ted's BED & TAIL works. Sounds...'modern'.
    True mastery of all the steel and wood repairs, Ted treed it!

16. stopped at the Slackers house yesterday to check on progress . he has been working on the fenders. they are really beat up and one of them has had a bunch of filler work done to it already. he trimmed the front sides and made a piece for the front of the drivers fender that was missing. IMG_1631.JPG IMG_1632.JPG IMG_1634.JPG

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  17. we will do the final trimming and fit once I get the bed done. IMG_1635.JPG
    Charlie has gotten the engine compartment sorted. IMG_1633.JPG and I got a chance to get behind the wheel. there is plenty of room and the seat is very comfortable. IMG_1636.JPG

18. made some tubes for the rear support to keep the hinge bolts from crushing it. I drilled a 3/4" hole through the back side and used EMT pipe. I also filed the holes for the carriage bolts that bolt it to the sides. IMG_1639.JPG IMG_1640.JPG IMG_1641.JPG

19. I then trimmed the top flanges back on the cross member and coated the inside with weld through primer. I bent a piece of 16 gage to make the trim piece for the top of the crossmember. this will give a metal edge for loading the bed and finish and protect the ends of the bed wood floor. IMG_1642.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG IMG_1644.JPG IMG_1645.JPG IMG_1646.JPG

20. I ran out of wire in that machine so I couldn't finish the welds. but I did take it apart to prep for primer and paint tomorrow. IMG_1648.JPG

21. You're a busy guy!

Stogy, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  22. I unbolted the strap hinges from the gate and sand blasted the area behind them. I then put a weld through primer on the adjoining surfaces so I could heat the rivets up that will hold them on. IMG_1651.JPG IMG_1652.JPG IMG_1653.JPG

23. I also finished welding up the rear crossmember of the bed. IMG_1649.JPG
    IMG_1650.JPG

24. got everything sanded and epoxy primed. IMG_1655.JPG IMG_1656.JPG

25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

You forgot to cut the square holes in the top side rail stake pockets. How are you going to put on the fallen tree reclaimed wood extensions? Just one slat a side will still look hot rod if only a few inches tall.
    Are you going to mimic the cab paint?
    Will Charlie have black fenders on this awesome little truck?
    You have to be giggling a little as you’ve made this bed Ted.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Stogy, brEad and 2 others like this.
  26. Stogy, loudbang, TFoch and 1 other person like this.
  27. no holes for the stake pockets, it will have the reclaimed wood in the back half of the bed floor. the front half will have a tool box to cover the fuel tank and battery and a dry spot for tools.
    plan is to mimic the cab paint on the bed and the fenders will be black.
    I am quite pleased at how it came out. I think it looks "model A like" enough.
    I bet in the future someone is going to post a picture of it on the ford barn, asking what year and model.;)

28. thanks Tom

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

If I only had a two pot manifold laying around I’d be mailing it to the slacker immediately!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app