Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quotes to live by...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Home spun wisdom, likely originated from a time before either. Back when "media" was word of mouth.

BrerHair, Boneyard51 and Thor1 like this.
  2. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

"To those who understand, no explanation is necessary, To those who don't, none is possible."
    - the Unknown 1% er

3. That guy, Anonymous. He had some of the best ones. :cool:

Boneyard51, lothiandon1940 and Thor1 like this.
  4. X-cpe

X-cpe

From a greeting card years ago. "I don't know how to put this to you, but I'd like to put it to you."

lothiandon1940 and Boneyard51 like this.
  5. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty

6. jnaki

jnaki

“The ocean is a healer.”
    upload_2020-11-3_5-12-10.png
    HUNTINGTON BEACH PIER

Hello,

Many hours were spent here during our teenage surf adventures. The new friends we met here were pretty outstanding people. Some of them became lifelong friends, while others were part of the colorful scenery. As teenagers, there was something that needed to hold true to the idea that life is hard and it needs help in getting through. The ocean, as much as it beats you almost into submission, is a challenge and the ability to adapt to the challenges helps the turmoil of being a teenager, in any time period.
    upload_2020-11-3_5-16-42.png
    As we developed our skills here on the consistent waves, we were building up the ability to go travel and surf in just about any condition in any surf spot. So, it helped our psyche from the experiences and gave us the confidence to adapt to whatever came our way in and out of the water.

Jnaki

“The ocean is a healer…” As an older guy, it also helps keep the body in great shape and able to withstand much punishment the ocean can give back.
    upload_2020-11-3_5-17-37.png
    “Just go down to the shore, walk in the water, even if only ankle deep. Breathe. You’ll be amazed at what it will do for your sanity.” The Eastern Seaboard, the Gulf Coast, the Pacific Coast...even the Canadian coastlines offer the healing moments from the oceans.

Driving down to the ocean waters is enhanced by having a cool hot rod or custom station wagon... YRMV

40ragtopdown, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  7. tim troutman

tim troutman

"The only thing I like better than old trucks is girls with big t_ts", Big John The Poet Laureate Of Palmyra

8. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I still stand by the warning I saw on a T-shirt at the Pleasanton Swap around 1984 : "IF IT'S GOT TITS OR TIRES, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TROUBLE!" Very true than, & still true today!!

9. jnaki

jnaki

“THERE ARE SOME FRIENDS WE HAVE FOR LIFE…MAYBE EVEN FOREVER.”

Hello,

As a teenager with normal dreams, forever is a long time away. But, over the years of growing up and having as much fun as possible, it became a life full of cool stuff and adventures. Along the way, we had met many people that became lifelong friends. In our memories, they remain friends forever. Teenage ideas have come around to full fruition and we have come a long way to be together.

When I met my wife (then a cool looking college girl) it was instant attraction and thoughts of being together, forever. No teenage kid wants to commit any words, let alone a long lasting hope for being friends. It just happened. Luckily, the same feelings came back at me when we met and started to hang out together. The whole world stopped and let us join in the 60’s fun and excitement. Then 50 plus years later, we are still at it fighting the pandemic the best way we can… being together.

Jnaki

Yes, our teenage/20 something friends are still around and a lot have moved on to a different place. But forever means memories of those good times will last until they don’t.

Being a couple helps keep the spirit alive… maybe even forever !!!

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Jnaki, like you , I made many friends ,while young, some I still have today! When I was growing up, I was real thin and hung out at salvage yards looking for car parts! At about 15, one of my classmates stated “ Steve, your about the ‘bonest’ damn friend I got” ! Well that name stuck! Then my classmates added “ Boneyard” due to me hanging out in the boneyards. Then kids being kids, they shorten it back to “Bones”. I don’t get to hear those nicknames much anymore, as it was only used in my early years! But it sure lights up my life when I do hear it, because I know it’s coming from an old friend! Nothing like old friends, I don’t have that many left!

Bones

11. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

If you don't want it done perfectly, don't ask me to help.
    - the Unknown 1%er

Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. I was at an auction several years ago, the next item up for bids was a backhoe with a front end loader. Inside the bucket was the engine and it was all torn apart. The auctioneer starts his auction ramble and he is not getting any bids. He stopped and I'll never forget what he said.
    He said, "Folks, there ain't nothing wrong with this thing, that money won't fix."

13. jnaki

jnaki

“…But falling over you Is the news of the day”

Hello,

In 1966, I was heading for the final two years of college. It was a time changing way to see the world. I was getting all A’s and B’s so I did not have to worry about a good GPA. Now, as a teen, I was worried that I would end up a traveling surfing pro with sponsorships, but no actual life. That sounded good to me, but I knew something was missing.

The girl I knew in 1963-64 was now married to my friend from high school, so that was out. The hot rod world did not appeal to me, either did the drag racing scene. The little guy's classes were now on its last legs and only money talks was the scene in top fuel race cars.

Then one day, I was walking to my new English class and talking to some old friends. Up walks this girl with long hair, a stylish dress and tall boots. We all turned to look and of course the comments started flying. What did we know? She walks up and turns into our classroom, we all fell back with a smile.

Those guys sat in the same back row as her and I sat in the front row with a girl I knew from Lakewood. Over the semester, no one was able to talk to that girl in the back row. I was ok with walking with the girl I knew and we sat together every class period. But, that girl in the back row was enchanting.

Jnaki

I was falling for that mysterious girl that always sat in the back row. I tried writing words to describe the feeling, but always came up empty. By the time of the next semester, I met her by accident and we started going out for coffee and library study sessions. She loved the Red 1965 El Camino as it was only built for the two of us.
    upload_2020-12-25_4-21-24.png air shocks and all...
    We have spent plenty of miles going all over California coastal areas, the S.F. Bay Area, the mountains, deserts and even a couple of road trips to Baja Mexico. Now, it was very interesting as we clicked then, throughout the years, and the rest is history, up to this pandemic era. Since then, we have spent many holidays together.

When we both heard this song playing recently, we both looked at each other and mentioned that day that she walked in front of all of the guys in front of that English class. Since the song came out in 1984, the words have always hit home to that day in our younger college days. “But, falling over you is the news of the day…”

The Ghost In You

The Psychedelic Furs

A man in my shoes runs a light
    And all the papers lied tonight

But falling over you
    Is the news of the day

Angels fall like rain
    And love is all of heaven away

Inside you the time moves

And she don't fade
    The ghost in you
    She don't fade

That pivotal moment in that college hallway was something for the archives. She and the memory does not fade a single bit...

14. jnaki

jnaki

THE SAND MAY BRUSH OFF…

THE SALT MAY WASH CLEAN

THE TANS MAY FADE…

BUT, "MEMORIES WILL LAST FOREVER."

Hello,

When my wife and I were just getting together, she loved the beach, which was a great thing for both of us. I knew she did not want to hang out all by herself on the sand while I was out surfing. I learned to share my time with her, as important as it was. So, we went to the semi-private spot on the Alamitos Bay Peninsula in Belmont Shore for many together beach days.

It was well worth the effort and the long lasting, understanding of each other has lasted over plenty of lifetimes of activities. The beach has always had a great cleansing feeling about it when we were walking during the day or sunset nights. It made life come alive. She was so happy during our college days to have been able to rent a small beach side cottage for her final years at school. Steps to the water from the ocean on one side and across the street was the calm Alamitos Bay for serenity.
    upload_2021-1-16_5-48-35.png

Jnaki

Life is not just a beach, but, the beach is an important part of our lives.
    upload_2021-1-16_5-49-11.png Vnak photo

Yesterday, the beach was 80 degrees plus. Inland 10 miles was 95 degrees. So, there is much to be thankful for living the coastal lifestyle. Plus, there was enough wind to keep the shaded areas rather cool. T shirt/shorts weather makes it a long time style from 1960s, still in function. So, a short drive to the gas station and beach to check out the waves was in order.

15. When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It’s only difficult for the others....
    It’s the same when you’re stupid....

16. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

" Nature hath given men one tongue but two ears,
    that we may hear from others twice as much as we speak."

"Of pleasures, those which occur most rarely give the most delight."

"Keep neither a blunt knife nor an ill-disciplined looseness of tongue."
    -Epictetus

Boneyard51, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. sshep

sshep
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

" No Fussin', No Cussin', and No Backtalkin' "

Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. verde742

verde742

Give me length, I will show you cleavage.....

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I don't know what happens first, my tolerance of intolerable people or intolerant people becoming tolerate. I imagine age on all concerned got something to do with it.

20. brando1956

brando1956

Sign in old friend's gas station in the 60's; You ask for credit, I no give, you get mad. I give credit, you no pay, I get mad. Damn sight better you get mad.

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Everywhere you go.........there you are!

22. VF-1

VF-1

Hot Rod - Till it Hurts...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

" A dull knife is a dangerous tool and useless as a weapon"
    - T. Linkhorn

Boneyard51 and Thor1 like this.
  24. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Don't know if it's been said earlier or even a saying. But, the song by Toby Keith says a lot. "I'm not as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was". Can any one else relate to it?

Boneyard51, coneman, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  25. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

"Honestly is the best policy". It has served me well over my 40+ years in business.

Boneyard51, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. Matt55folife

Matt55folife

My all time favorite that i heard alot growing up was “If you gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough!” And my all time favorite saftey slogan is “dont put your finger anywere you wouldnt put your pecker!”

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

It would be sad to be known as the richest man in the cemetery.
    Enjoy life folks

61Cruiser, VF-1, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.
  28. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

"I might be to old to cut the mustard, but I can still lick the jar" -unknown