Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Classifieds Situation: Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by quick85, Jan 6, 2021.

1. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I listed an item for sale in the classifides and received an offer from a fellow.
    I sent a counteroffer we both agreed to and I also said that shipping was
    included in the price, so there were no extras or surprises. The one catch was
    that I asked to be paid with a USPS money order, feeling that was a good way
    to protect myself. I've had a few hiccups with PayPal and a friend got taken
    somehow for a decent amount of money through his PP account. Again, the
    buyer agreed and we were good to go.

I provided him with my full name, address, land line phone number and my
    wife's cell phone number. I wanted to assure him that he could get in touch
    with me without a problem. He mailed payment and I promised to let him
    know when it arrived and that I would ship it out immediately. Unfortunately,
    it didn't arrive and I sent him three emails over the course of three weeks to
    keep him apprised, hearing back each time, and even receiving a phone call.
    I then felt prompted to contact my local post office to find out if there was
    a dead letter file or if they had a suggestion. They said they hoped that in
    mailing money he got a tracking number. I passed that on to the buyer in
    another two or three emails, all done through the H.A.M.B. I didn't receive
    a reply to those last notes. So, I thought maybe he's away on vacation, or
    he's fed up with the process or me. Now I'm in limbo. The item is packaged,
    ready to go, so as much as I want to relist it I don't want to alienate him or
    accept an order while things are up in the air. I must add that I noticed he
    was logged into the H.A.M.B. a few days ago but still hasn't contacted me.

I've both purchased and sold more than a few items through the
    classifies without a problem, and I feel I've done all I can to keep
    him in
    the loop. My question is when is "enough is enough"? Even
    though I rarely list anything for sale I don't want to pick up a rep
    as a bad seller. What are your (serious) thoughts?

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

One and a half weeks is more than sufficient. Two weeks and I would just move on. What was his post count ? Although, I have had good post counts on members and they flaked or changed their minds. It doesn’t really matter if it’s the real world or online , it’s a gray world when you want it to be cut and dried.

Peter Nowak and stillrunners like this.
  3. GeneBob

GeneBob

If you have his address, you are sending him parts, send a return receipt letter explaining that he will lose his deal. When you get the return portion of the transaction (he must sign for the letter) the deal is dead.
    An electronic version of this might be to post publicly on the HAMB (establishes a date and witnesses) that he has until a certain date to respond or lose the deal. This option may be seen as insulting though. Maybe repost the ad with a statement that "1st buyer's avatar name" has until "some date" to complete the deal or it is back on the market?
    I am not a lawyer but I think these options give you proof of attempt to complete the deal.

VANDENPLAS and quick85 like this.
  4. GeneBob

GeneBob

By the way, it wasn't me was it?

COCONUTS, HotRod33, grumpy65 and 2 others like this.

5. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

The US Postal Service is basically worthless. It is a completely failed entity and is likely to get worse. I have multiple pieces of incoming and outgoing letters and parcels that have somehow gotten lost in the stratosphere-even their tracking system looses track. I am just starting to receive letters that were post marked the first two weeks of December. Packages I have sent via USPS Priority Mail with tracking seem to take a minimum of ten days-even if they are just going to the next state.

You want your money fast? Take PayPal. Worried about the fees? Add them to the cost of your item. If there is a problem, you are most likely to get a resolution from PayPal.

If a USPS money order gets lost, good luck resolving that issue. If your package gets lost via USPS, making a claim will wear you out and will leave either you or your customer empty handed.

Here is another piece of valuable information: Most banks are now requiring a minimum 10 day hold on USPS Money Orders due to the amount of fakes that have been going around. I saw a fake one recently-I could not tell it from a real one. Also, USPS Postal Money orders for larger amounts may not be redeemable for cash at a post office. It is up to the clerk at the counter whether or not they will cash your money order. If they do not have enough cash in their drawer, they are not obliged to cash it. Now days, most people that go to a post office are paying by credit or debit cards, so there is not a lot of cash sitting in the clerk's drawer. Also, if a clerk cashes a money order that is fraudulent, they are responsible, so they are very likely-a completely able- to deny the cashing of your postal money order.

Also, do not send or have sent to you a valuable document, such as a car title via the post office-even if you or the sender uses Priority or Express Mail. Please save yourself or the buyer much grief and use a reputable company such as FedEx or UPS overnight. The postal service doesn't care about the importance of a car title nor how difficult it is to get replaced!!!

From now on, I am only using FedEx Ground for anything that has even a minimal value. For payment of parts, etc, I am only accepting PayPal. If a customer does not want to pay by PayPal or does not want to pay the additional shipping cost, I have no problem with that person doing business elsewhere. It is a choice we are both free to make.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  6. adam401

adam401

You gave that dude enough time. He didnt send you payment. Re list the item. Dont give it another thought.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I just went through a somewhat similar situation. I sold some parts to a party in Texas, through a HAMB member, after a phone conversation. I too, requested a Postal Money Order. The party emailed me a photo of the M.O. with my name written on it, so I sent shipped the parts. That was on the 14th of last month. I remained in contact with both of the people, along with tracking the number off the M.O. I knew he bought and mailed it, and that it hadn't been cashed. It's difficult to re-issue a M.O. and can take up to 90 days. I was between a rock and a hard place, and the party told me, if it came to it, he would send me a Cashier's check by registered mail, and we would deal with the MO, and asked me to wait a couple more days. Low and behold, his letter was in my box that day, the 29th, and had a postmark of the 14th. So, there wasn't any funny business, just a slow mail delivery. In the future, I would have still required a M.O. , but had it sent Registered, or Certified, and insured, with tracking, to protect all involved.

8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I agree you've fulfilled your part.

Now if had contacted you stating it HAD been sent then i'd wait. As stated above the mail service sucks. I've ordered numerous items in the last 2 months and NOTHING but 1 arrived anywhere close to its delivery date and that was fedex.

I had a dvd that sat in k.c. post office for 10 days alone. Got windshield parts for my A ordered and already a week behind from different parts of the country....

egads and quick85 like this.
  9. The post office got caught up in the election BS, now that that's over maybe they'll get back to something approaching normal. I've had issues with delayed mail also; mostly my ex complaining about late blood-money checks...

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

I sold something a few weeks ago. It took forever to get to the person who bought it despite him only being in the next state.

Generally you don't get tracking on a simply letter if that is what he sent. Do what you want. Wait or move on but it may or may not be the other persons fault. Even if it is, there is nothing you can do but move on.

quick85 likes this.
  11. Sounds to me like he must not have wanted it that bad....Move on.

49ratfink and quick85 like this.
  12. the UPS MO has a part of the MO that kept as a receipt, the MO receipt can be checked to see if it has been cashed.
    I actually had a MO stolen and cashed by a deferent recipient last year. The UPS investigated it and found it was stolen and cashed, they then issued me a check for the amount and mailed it to me.

If the user comes back with "they sent it" have them figure it out with the USPS.
    They should have a receipt.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

This right here. Or you can pay for 1 hours of therapy to hear the same thing. "Times up"

49ratfink, egads and quick85 like this.
  14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Relist your item. If you receive his payment after you resell it, then you can return the payment.
    If not then you can send him his item.
    The buyer should track his MO and also provide you with the MO serial number. If he doesn't then you know he never sent payment.
    The USPS system is pretty backed up at the moment.
    I always want a payment in the form of a USPS MO. It works out better for me. I don't have too many problems with the USPS, myself.

15. Budget36

Budget36

Two things, I bought an item than came through the PO from a fellow HAMBr, he sent it out last Monday, it arrived yesterday? I think it was. About a 4x4 box. Al to Ca
    This seems to me (since he quit talking to you) that he got busy, didn’t make it to the PO when he said he would, and now there would be know way to “save face” and send it out, since a date would be on the envelope or on the MO.
    Relist it

Okay. Three things;). If I mailed a USPO MO and after 3 weeks it hadn’t arrived, I would go back to the PO and ask what the status of my sent funds were

I know they can check on this, whenever I’ve cashed one at the USPO, the clerk looks at some list and verifies the MO, then does something on the computer and gives me my money

quick85 likes this.
  16. adam401

adam401

Also, if Im I'm sending payment to someone through the mail or shipping an item ive sold, I get a tracking number and provide the other party with a picture of it. Its common courtesy so they know you arent full of shit. Anything we can do to build trust in this hobby is a good thing.
    And as for this scenerio; If you make a gentleman's agreement to buy something, fuckin buy it. Be a man of your word. If something comes up dont just fall off the planet. Its bad for the hobby and erodes trust.

17. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I thought along that line and it seems sensible. I don't want to insult him because he was
    civil and understanding. By the way, it's not you. Thanks.

catdad49 likes this.
  18. GeneBob

GeneBob

I will pile on the USPS comments. I buy a bunch of Model A parts from a Bert's Model A on the south side of Denver, I live 37 miles north of Bert's. Ever since the USPS did not get their bailout money last summer, the parts sent by mail have gone through other states before getting to me. Does USPS really need to send my parts via Portland, Oregon or Kansas City, Missouri to get them 37 miles north? No wonder they are going broke.
    I often drive down to the shop to buy the parts in person so I don't have to risk waiting 10 days of delay. Besides, it is fun to shoot the bull and look at the cars there.

19. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I appreciate the input. As I said, for a while things were solid between us so unless
    he's on vaca or not well, I don't understand his silence. I can wait, and will, a bit longer.

I live 25 miles out of Chicago and am serviced by a post office (distribution center?)
    even further out. Chicago has had a major problem with undelivered mail and mail
    that's been stashed away, that's part of the reason I'm not in a hurry to cut ties.
    Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. I now feel better about any decision I might make.

54delray likes this.
  20. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I know what you're saying, but hell, GeneBob, I'd relish taking the ride out of Denver
    and away from home for a few hours!

21. GeneBob

GeneBob

It is a pretty drive. Just wish I didn't have to go through downtown.

quick85 likes this.
  22. I get the delays originating from USPS, while a pita it doesn't have anything to do with the fact he was on here "a few days ago", and after your several attempts, he made no attempt to contact you.
    Move ahead with a clear conscience.

23. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Ya, that red envelope is hard to see. Sell it.

quick85 likes this.
  24. grumpy65

grumpy65

Assuming that the payment was sent (???), the other party would be out of pocket. He would have neither the money, nor the parts. If this was actually the case, I am sure you would have heard from him. The deafening silence from the other end would indicate that the fish is off the hook. Re-bait and cast again. ;)

25. The Post Office is dealing with a lot right now. They are still trying to catch up with the Christmas surge, and they are involved with vaccine distribution.

They are doing this during Covid, which means reduced/distanced staff, and people out due to exposure to the virus.

I would give the post office another week or so to get your money order to you before you make any decisions.

quick85 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  26. TCATTC

TCATTC

I am still waiting on parts mailed on 12/10 to get here. Part of my last Speedway order took over 3wks. From now on I will request UPS or FedEx.

Automotive Stud and quick85 like this.
  27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

2 emails with no response and he is active here means he is a flake and should be treated as such. relist.

quick85 and Budget36 like this.
  28. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I had a similar situation happen in December. I sold a part on the hamb to a fellow hamber. He sent a postal m/o. We stayed in contact and I never received it. I'm not sure how it was handled at the post office, but he sent a second one with tracking. It showed up and I sent the parts. If this person you are dealing with wanted the parts they should be in contact with you. Also I try to ship or recieve nothing thru the post office.

quick85 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. Not dinging the PO but the initial purchaser. He should have had the manhood to let you know he was no longer interested if that is the case and apparently it is as he should be worried about where his money went. Not being civil enough to do that is unforgivable and he is nothing but a piece of trash to be kicked out of the way. Recently I inquired about a vehicle for sale through the PM here with the seller. We discussed price and a "hold it" price and length of time but I came to the conclusion that I did not need it but only wanted it. I let him know this and the deal is going on with someone else now for all I know. Bottom line is, be civil with each other and keep this place civil. Quick85 now has bad feeling toward the individual and will never respect him in the future or offer to deal with him.

Boneyard51 and quick85 like this.
  30. Andy

Andy

People are really screwy. I have had lots of deals all completed from $5000 to $15 and the buyer just disappears. No more communication. Nothing.
    I don't really care and I now am kind of no longer surprised or mad when it happens. People get buyers remorse and are too timid of uncaring to simply say that they have changed their mind. I have to wait it out.
    The one that really got me was someone wanted me to ship a complete rear end. I told them no shipping but he wined and begged that he had to have it and would pay whatever the cost. I spent three days researching shipping to get the best quote. I figured the wood cost, the weight of the wood, dimensions of the box and the weight of the rear end. I gave the guy the quote and never heard a word from him again. I am absolutely sure that mistake will not happen again.