Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 55 chevy 2door body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mysteryman, Jan 1, 2021.

1. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

I've been off here for a while and need some help. I have acquired a 2 door 55 sitting on a 78 4x4 blazer frame. It has a good running 454/ 4 speed and the 4 wheel drive functions properly. I am wanting to sit it back down to earth. Should I go back with a 55 frame or is there other frames people are using(s-10, g-body etc.)without major modifications. Also picked up a set of Fenton RT 15x4.5 and 15x9 wheels w/tires.(anyone familiar with Fentons)

2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Get a tri5 frame and bolt it on,take the 454 and 400 and have fun

olscrounger and Special Ed like this.
  3. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Tri 5 frame!

Special Ed and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Get a tri 5 frame . They come up for sale here with some regularity and a clean stock one that rolls complete , sometimes with an inline 6 drivetrain are in the $1000-1500 mark( some guys get stupid with pricing and they sit around until the price drops lol )

have the body mounts been modified at all ?
    Dropping it on another frame usually cause more issues then it solves .

Special Ed likes this.

5. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Definitely stock frame... As mentioned above..
    An find another body for the mud Bug

Special Ed likes this.
  6. Any pics of the body?

7. Best, easiest way is a stock frame. I bought one for 56, one piece style, for $250, 3 years ago. They are available.

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Can't use the TH400 if it's set up for a transfer case, but use the 454 and a Tri 5 frame. Trade the 4x4 TH400 for a 2WD 400, and go from there. Maybe even sell the 4x4 chassis to help buy a correct chassis.

Tickety Boo, VANDENPLAS and Budget36 like this.
  9. Is it still titled 55 Chevy? Does it still have the VIN on the A pillar? Guys who build those kind of rides dont always care about title/ car matching. Dont sink a bunch of money in until your sure you can unscrew that too if need be.

Fogger and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. You can find tri five chassis reasonable and that would be the easy way to go.

I got an idea that a person could build a tube chassis if they were handy. I saw some vette spindles cheap enough the other day so you could get a crossmember and suspension from an early '50s chevy, use the vette spindles and build yourself a real hot rod suspension for it. If you really wanted to stretch your building expertise.

Never the less a tri five chassis would be easiest

11. This guy in Fayetteville Tn has around 100 of em
    DD77CC09-F83E-4F00-A9B5-5C986B2C9CF8.png
    s10 would look goofy with a narrow track width.
    Get a tri 5 chassis
    Post pics of its transformation

12. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

The 57 frame is a little different in the area of the front frame rails, but it is still a bolt on project.

Squablow likes this.
  13. Agree, get a tri five chassis. Use the 454 if you want. Sell the Blazer chassis with trans and transfer case. Or with the 454 if you don't want it. Sell it when you can show it all working. Then remove body and you're on the way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

anthony myrick likes this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

Correct, frame horns are different on a '57 so you'll want to avoid that. '55 Chevy car frames aren't that hard to find, and one from a 4 door will be the same, they all have the same wheelbase, so no worries there either.

You can probably sell the 4x4 Blazer chassis to a mud truck builder for what it'll cost to buy a decent '55 car rolling chassis and then you'll be all set. That's really the only good choice though.

427 sleeper likes this.