Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The smallest physical dimension production V8?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BamaMav, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  2. [​IMG]
    Factory pic of the 215 Buick
    [​IMG]
    And the Olds.
    Gotta get some 'o that ''Turbo Rocket Fluid''!

Jeff Gove and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have three of the little Buicks. Yes they are light, but not exactly small. One is 215 and the other two are 4.6 Rovers punched to 300. One blown and one carbed. They don't make a lot of hp and very little torque. If they fit, they are definitely an advantage when it comes to handling and steering in a rod. They are expensive to upgrade and performance parts are hard to find. The Studebaker engine was also mentioned. I have a 259 in my Lark wagon and it is one of the heaviest engines ever. Certainly competes with my 261 inline 6 in the heavy weight category. I have known Dan and Mark at D&D for over 30 years and if you ever want the right advise, definitely talk to them.
    Warren

4. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

V8 60's are pretty darn small. Once you take into account that 3" or so of the length is really bellhousing. I don't think there are many smaller V8's, at least nothing "production".
    [​IMG]
    This one is just cool. From Engine Builder's Mag ( https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2014/05/fords-famous-flathead-v8/ ):
    "This V8-60 shows its upgrades in the form of aftermarket heads and intake manifold and a pair of Stromberg two-barrel carbs. According to Greg Silveira of Silveira’s Machine Shop in San Jose, CA., what’s interesting with this setup is that it was made to run in reverse. So, the intake is the exhaust and the exhaust is the intake. You can see the header’s on top. Normally they would be on the lower part of the engine. This was done to the large Flathead V-8’s and later on even in overhead engines. The purpose was to apply more torque to the left wheel since it is running in reverse and the rear end was flipped."
    Apropos of nothing, but still cool. Mike

KiWinUS and dsiddons like this.
  5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Check out the world's smallest supercharged V8, the Conley 609, 6.09 cu in 9.5HP @10,000 Rpm, only $7000.
    https://newatlas.com/worlds-smallest-supercharged-four-stroke-v8-production-engine/24372/
    Or if that does not suit, there are V8 outboard motors that might be smaller and lighter than the typical car V8. I say maybe, because I can't find any pics or specs of the bare engine, but then I did not look too hard. They don't look very big in the pictures.
    https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/ca/engines/outboard/pro-xs/

6. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Simca v8 based on v8-60 Ford with Ardun heads

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  7. Phil1934

Phil1934

Flip a Johnson F6B9 raw water pump and add a Speedway crank pulley. A Dorman594-014 6 cyl dampener with v belt grooves to save another inch gets a SBC to this.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    rod1, gnichols and sdluck like this.
  8. It's probably going to be tough to beat the V8-60 flathead for the "the smallest physical dimension production V8". Anything with OHV isn't likely to do it, especially if the heads are hemispherical.

You really missed the point, dude. Those other folks have reading comprehension problems, too.

9. bundoc bob

bundoc bob

"...Is everyone forgetting the sunbeam tiger had a ford 260cu in it had room to spare"

Now that is funny. Change the plugs on one and get back to us...beenderdonedat

Hnstray, X38, RodStRace and 3 others like this.
  10. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

I've built lots of Rover V8 motors. For a V8 they are quite light. These days I wouldn't bother with the 3.5 Litre/215 CI version though. The 3.9/4.0/4.2/4.6 motors all have the larger 3.7" bore which goes a long way to unmasking the valves. This is the main reason these motors don't breath so well at high revs. There should be plenty of these late motors available in scrapyards now, they came out in 1994 IIRC.

The 215/3.5 manifolds, front plate, sump and oil pickup bolt straight up onto the 4.0 and 4.6 motors which came with crank ignition triggering and fuel injection from the factory. using the early front plate allows you to use the early type distributor and oil pump setup. which is a good thing if you want go down the "traditional" carb route.

Another good reason for using the 4.0 or 4.6 litre late motors is that they have a much stronger bottom end with larger cross bolted main bearings. The big ends are larger too with a much better design of conrod.

[​IMG]

Hnstray, Beanscoot and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  11. This stunning midget used to live 10mile up the road from me. Amazing workmanship.

gnichols and AccurateMike like this.
  12. Not Ardun heads but Brazilian made “Emi-Sul”

13. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

There was room after they cut out most of the original firewall

15. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

I wondered how long that would take. Well crafted.

16. Boodlum

Boodlum

Buick/Rover aluminum V8 engine is the small-block Chevrolet engine of England/Europe. Lots of speed parts available there.
    Jeremy Clarkson likes the engine - perhaps the only thing American he does like.
    Go to 4:10

ETA: The same engine was used in the Vetta Ventura cars I helped build in Dallas in 1965-67. 3500 series cars had the aluminum block 215ci engine and 5000 series cars had the cast-iron block 300ci engine. Oldsmobile turbo intakes were installed on a couple cars Buick engines. There was a wrecking yard on Skillman St near Church Rd in Dallas that had unusual cars. Got Olds F-85 Jetfire parts there.
    [​IMG]

ETA2: In 1962, Buick cut two cylinders off the engine and called it the "Fireball V6" that has a history and story all its own. Greatest number of an engine produced in history - over 25 million. A turbo version of this engine powered the March 84 I crewed on at Le Mans in 1984. McLaren did engine development. It was fast.
    [​IMG]
    Two years later the same Buick/McLaren turbo V6 showed up in Buick GNX cars.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  17. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

18. sdluck

sdluck

19. sdluck

sdluck

This is pretty cool

20. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

Boodlum and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  21. Boodlum

Boodlum

cheap-n-dirty wrote:
    "In 1979 Bob Joehnck built the first Buick V-6's that made any serious power. 350 hp on gas, 200 mph at Bonniville in a tank."

WARNING Anecdote time...
    In late 1977 I ordered a 1978 Buick Regal with turbo V6 from the old Ewing Buick dealership on Central Expressway in Dallas. Performance was uninspiring.
    Having some experience with Buick turbo engines, I took it apart and did some mods.
    Couple months later was invited to the wedding of Chris Shamburger and the lovely Nancy P and drove the Buick. Chris Shamburger's family owned Shamburger Building Supply located across Yale Blvd from Carroll Shelby's Dallas dealership and Chris being my age was a regular at Carroll Shelby Sports Cars. (His family had money and he and Nancy moved into a mansion on Beverly Drive.)
    Of course things got rowdy at the wedding reception and I ended up doing some burnouts.
    Another guest at the wedding reception was Carl Sewell, owner of Sewell Village Cadillac in Dallas Highland Park and his lovely wife. Evidently Mr. Sewell expressed interest in my car.
    One thing turned to another and I ended up trading my modified 1978 Turbo Regal straight up for Mr. Sewell wife's yellow 1978 Cadillac Seville. That Cadillac was an export build and one great car.
    Never had the Turbo Regal on a dyno but when I traded it made respectable power.

Hnstray likes this.
  22. mkubacak

mkubacak

How many Small Block Chevrolet engines were built?

23. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Over 100 million.....

24. Boodlum

Boodlum

Chevrolet SBC was built 1954-2003. Been looking for a definitive total production number.

25. sunbeam

sunbeam

Don't know if I have ever seen one but Ford built a 3.4 V8 on a 60 degree V for the SHO in the late 90s.

26. Where are these exotic junkyards you guys visit at?
    Buick’s, Indy/formula, baby hemis, Ferrari, v860, Alfa.
    The question of “smallest v8 you can easily find in a JY” non SBC or flathead.
    Folks mention a 221/260. Same size as a 302.
    Some good choice v6 engines mentioned
    I’m assuming Mr Mav is trying to fit the forum
    The 215 fits the small and light. Not something ya find everyday.
    If ya want a little more legroom in a T, stretch the body a little. A slightly longer wheel base won’t be noticeable if proportions work.
    T bucket chassis are easy.

Stan Back likes this.
  27. I vote screw tiny. Its a t-bucket.
    Here is a 389 and Hydro not that far from ya
    D364643C-132F-4B3F-9012-925FBC85C1C9.jpeg B75E2038-138B-4D82-A604-E2841A3A3F77.png

Definitely not cookie cutter.

I’m not familiar with this trans. Add says the combo was removed from a 62 ambulance

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  28. 34Phil

34Phil

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    gnichols and rod1 like this.
  29. 55blacktie

55blacktie

No room to spare; that's why they have a remote oil filter. Looking under the hood, the install looks like it was done in someone's garage.

30. RodStRace

RodStRace

This one is again OT, but I ran across this guy's channel and had to share. Just amazing what a guy can do in his shed. I hope some of you guys enjoy this under 2 liter V8 he built!

Kume likes this.