Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1961 falcon automatic shifter slop question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Oct 16, 2020.

1. The shifter on this thing is real sloppy. If i grab the shift arm and hold it real tight there is still a bunch of slop in the shift lever. I'm guessing the slop is in keyway between the shift arm and the shift tube.

Anyone have any tips on tearing into this one? anyone know if repair parts are available?

Thanks while I do my research.

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The collar is made of aluminum and can cause it to get sloppy,

3. When I was in Ford parts, we sold those collars like hot cakes. I thought they were pot metal.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

When I worked in an independent shop about a hundred years ago we would replace about one a week. We called them soup bowls, and yes, they were pot metal

gimpyshotrods likes this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    https://www.falconparts.com/ford-fa...OMATIC-TRANSMISSION-SHIFT-SOCKETS-193p891.htm

6. Pot metal and a steel roll pin, even GM had their problems with it. I always though of some bushings if you can't find a repo or descent used.

7. OK. i thought it felt like slop between the shift tube in the column and the shift arm at the bottom of the column.
    I have a new collar that came with the car. Guess i'll replace it for grins and see if that helps any.

Pulled it off and the keyway was split on both sides. so there you have it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  8. 62rebel

62rebel

Seen my share of worn out collars on a lot of older cars. Have had levers pop out in my hand.