Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buggy Spring help!!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TrueBlue23, Sep 6, 2020.

1. TrueBlue23

TrueBlue23

hey all,,got a little problem was hoping someone here could shed some light on for me. I purchased the medium arch spring from Speedway, to go along with my model A crossmember. I started doing some mock up yesterday and and I love the look, but I'm having some clearance issues on the sides of the crossmember where the spring comes out. I've read that you can add shims to the top to help lower the spring down some, but wasn't entirely sure about that. Also, since this is a 2" wide spring, its 1/4 in thinner than the factory Model A spring. Will that give me any trouble? Last resort is to buy a 2 1/4 in. high arch spring, as it'll solve both of my issues, BUT it will raise my rearend about 5 inches or so. Any input is greatly appreciated. IMG_8671.JPG IMG_4539.JPG IMG_3472.JPG

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

you boxed the crossmember ends, trim them out till it has plenty of clearance.

X38 and TrueBlue23 like this.
  3. TrueBlue23

TrueBlue23

haha I was trying to avoid that,,but that very well might be the route I go. Frame was built by spirit, and done nicely,,just a miscommunication about what I was planning I think.

4. Note to novice builders: There is no one Model A spring.
    I don't know what vendors like Speedway sell as generic Model A springs, but factory springs varied between different body styles, particularly leaf count. E.g. a 4 door sedan rear spring is not the same as a lightweight roadster spring. They will interchange, but not necessarily with desired results.

5. Also, in many cases a T spring can be a better choice.

6. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i think your type of spring is made for a perch like a t bucket frame with a kick up instead of a cross member. i have used that type of spring on several t bucket type frames with no problem.

7. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

trim the sides, and you'll probably have enough travel.
    as for the extra space, what i've done is trace the shape of the spring on some 1/8th plate, and cut out spacers, which sandwich the spring in the crossmember pocket.

TrueBlue23 likes this.
  8. trey32

trey32

Model t spring fits better...