Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Springs outside of frame help please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 282doorUK, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

AAAHH!
    Holy crap is that cool!

Six Ball likes this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not a leaf spring however a simple gusset would work, this is a lower Jag IRS arm in my 35. There's another similar bracket on rear to capture the other side of bushing
    Lower arm mount.jpg

Six Ball and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. Reidy

Reidy

At the moment there is a discussion going on about parallel springs that are not parallel. There is a detailed explanation about the disadvantages of the springs being parallel and that they should actually be closer together at one end. Therefore a question for education purposes. Would the builder gain much by changing the spring angles so they are not parallel.

Steve

Six Ball likes this.
  4. 282doorUK

282doorUK

That's interesting Reidy, I ever heard about that before, do you have a link to the discussion?

Although I've just drastically narrowed the chassis and axles mounting pads to make the rails and the springs parallel as it was tapered towards the front originally, so I don't really have much appetite for altering things back again now..

28 chevy chasis.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    Six Ball likes this.
  5. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Thanks for the suggestion Stumpy, that might work but I'm afraid the look of it might offend the style gods a tad too much..

Six Ball likes this.
  6. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Very nice looking and sounding banger! Now that I have a hot 28 engine, I will have to create a car around it. Will probably be a narrowed frame Chevy, so I'll be following your progress closely! Thanks for the post!

Six Ball and Outback like this.
  7. Reidy

Reidy

Six Ball, Outback and 282doorUK like this.
  8. 282doorUK

282doorUK

You could do, but maybe save yourself the effort and just send the hot engine to me...:D

Happy that you like it, thanks.

9. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Thanks for the offer, but I think that I will play with it for a while yet! Be safe, have fun!

Six Ball and 282doorUK like this.
  10. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Looking Car!...Lotso nice Touches/Details!

Six Ball likes this.
  11. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

Man, what a wonderful thing. Really, it's just perfect.

Six Ball likes this.
  12. That's fantastic! Did you make the bodywork as well?

13. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Wow, dunno what to say, but thanks for the compliments guys, very much appreciated.

Cactus, yes I made everything that Chevy didn't and altered most of what Chevy did.

tail 3.jpg Tail 2.jpg

tail4.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Vic Walter, Six Ball, Outback and 7 others like this.
  14. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Meanwhile, down on the farm, it was a fun day today:D

Good job that cross rut was there, it stopped me getting too leery!
    It was great fun, seemed so fast, but looks so slow!
    Slipped timing or air leaks in the exhausts maybe causing the backfires, cos I only used cardboard flange gaskets!
    I'll have a look see tomorrow..

Six Ball, Blues4U, Outback and 10 others like this.
  15. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Hay! Looks like great fun! Wind through the hair, making some dust.......

16. Well done! She scoots along pretty good huh?! Beautiful place you have as well.

17. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Good fun time! It really looks good, I like the proportions!

18. Reidy

Reidy

To me that looks like more fun than I would have owning any high end show standard hot rod. I think it would appeal to all of the five senses. It looks and sounds great. I am sure it felt a buzz to drive.

Steve

19. Love it, what a great build!

20. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

On one of these posts, you said something about a tired engine. I could not hear well enough on your video, but if it was backfiring when the engine was slowing down only, and it is not slipped timing or gaskets, check the disy. gear clearance for up and down movement. Also check how much end play is in the cam. both of these will change timing when slowing the engine down. Both can be easily fixed. I have found both in tired chevy 4 bangers. Be safe, Have Fun!

21. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

Hahahaaaa. I love how much fun you are having. I got tickled when you lost your pith helmet. Good job.

Six Ball, grumpy65 and 282doorUK like this.
  22. 282doorUK

282doorUK

It was great fun Gaby, I could have kept at it all day, getting faster and faster till something proper scary happened, like I used to as a teenager!

She does Cactus, better than I expected! It's not my place, but next to my childhood home which was behind the far hedge, we had a few acres there.

Thanks Jet, although I can't really take credit for the proportions, ideally I would like it to have been 6" shorter wheel base, but there weren't the right parts in the spares pile!
    If I happen on the right bits cheap enough I fancy making it a three springer, then I could loose 6" easily.

I agree Steve, I love cheap, no worries if it gets a bit dinged up or broken, I have another toy that was almost free like this racer that has had me and other people grinning their heads off for years now, but it's way too off topic for this forum I suspect.

Thanks Barrel, nice of you to say so :)

Thats good info Gaby, thanks I'll have a look at that. I edited out most of the big loud over run backfires! I might have found the cause though, a few pin holes and the holes for the period correct redneck fence wire retainers holding the rolled up chicken netting baffles in place.

1BA63BCF-88F0-47F4-9DBA-7D9FB11A8DAE.jpeg
    View attachment 4780772
    View attachment 4780773
    111EC7E6-5569-41F0-B9F4-80693817BE5C.jpeg

Me too rwrj, except it showed off my lanky Covid induced non haircut :D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Six Ball, Outback, alanp561 and 6 others like this.
  23. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Just to catch up on my original problem, I ended up using two long 8.8 bolts with the heads turned off, long enough so a thin Delrin spring bush rides on the unthreaded shank.

They pass tight through the frame horns into a length of hollow LandRover steering rod, I plug /rosette welded them together and ran a weld to the frame horns underneath out of sight to stop rotation.

Of course I got so involved in doing it I forgot to take any pictures, sorry about that!

As to the rough running, it was mostly caused by the timing being off and the carbs being too big for the low comp low revving motor. So I enlarged the balance tube and blanked off the rear carb, it runs better on one but icing and condensation in the manifold became a problem.

I've made up a hot air feed to work like the stock setup. An air box fits over both carbs and the feed tube is almost hidden under it.

Looks a bit odd with the hood on, it'll confuse a few 'chaps who know about stuff ' but it works fine for now, no more ice. It won't be winning any races for a while but it'll do till a motor hop up requires a whole different approach.

Added a belly pan, rear frame covers, and numbers which make it look a bit less skinny, thanks for your interest.

011D79DD-F6CC-4461-924D-FD06B5D8EE96_1_201_a.jpeg

B43C4758-46FA-430E-8DB5-A725D7BD7B60.jpeg

DSCF7234.JPG

DSCF7227.JPG

DSCF7235.JPG

Vic Walter, Six Ball, cactus1 and 9 others like this.
  24. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

I've got to say, this is my new favourite thread on the hamb. I love every aspect.

25. @282doorUK , you should be racing your car at Goodwood.:cool:

Six Ball and cactus1 like this.
  26. 282doorUK

282doorUK

I'm very flattered, glad you enjoyed it.

I suppose it would help the commentator to know who will come last in every race :)

27. Great looking car you have there!,

28. SPEC

SPEC

Looks Great.

29. dmar836

dmar836

I don't think it looked slow at all! And those pics show a perfect project! Well done!
    D

30. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Thanks, but it's got the heaviest wheels/tyres/tubes/flaps known to man, the rear springs need to be shorter and lighter, and the motor needs working over for more power, I'm just a victim of style over performance !

These things will be sorted out in time, I have plenty of that..

Six Ball likes this.