Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC split stud bosses threading in rocker studs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turboki, Jun 15, 2020.

1. turboki

turboki

No, I was able to tap them with no drilling out. They were wide enough that the tap went in smooth.

2. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Per Machinist Handbook, drill size for 7/16"-14 thread in cast iron is a letter "U" drill....which is .368"....the stock press-fit stud hole is already oversize from that at .374".

No drilling or reaming needed, just direct tap it.

1934coupe and guthriesmith like this.
  3. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Well ,the small valve of the 185's is really going to choke power, but if it's just for fun that might not matter to you. Very small, 1.72" intake valve.

The 185's are 70cc chamber, the 487's are 76-78cc typically.
    I've never seen a 487 with less than a 1.94" intake valve, some were machined for 2.02"

If you've got to buy new, look at EQ(EngineQuest) Cylinder heads, the ones the IMCA modified and other claimer class circle racers use....they are a better head than the World S/R's and typically better priced.
    #CH350 A or CH350I

Not a surprise the impact did nothing, and that it takes a breaker bar to get them out by hand using the stud threads to jack it out. done it at home that way before.
    Shops that do this regularly either have a hydraulic stud puller or they use a 5 lb slide hammer attachment.

It might just be my performance geek coming out, but I cringe at the thought of anyone spending $500 for a set of rebuilt crap 185's.
    If you're gong to spend that for rebuilt stockers, hold out for something like the 441, s487's, 99s's, 336's....just something with a 1.94" valve.

turboki likes this.
  4. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Did somebody say vortec?

5. turboki

turboki

No can do vortech...already have the weiand intake for the old version of heads...

6. turboki

turboki

Sweet man! I'll check out EngineQuest. I also came across these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-152123 2.02 intake, 1.60 exhasut 72cc heads for $350/each...that seems like a hell of a deal.

7. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

That would be a good head...it is a "white box" casting by Dart for Summit's own house brand. Copy of the Iron Eagle S/S 165cc without the DART name and logo. Has a much better chamber shape than the World or EQ 76cc stuff does, that chamber makes more torque then the open bathtub style 76cc chamber.

turboki likes this.
  8. turboki

turboki

What does White Box casting mean?

9. White box meaning produced by Dart, but not in a Dart box. Kind of like the store brand canned food at your grocery store. The grocery store doesn't make the canned food, someone else name brand does for the grocery.
    In your case ,Dart produces for Summit.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

big duece and Ericnova72 like this.