Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Got her to start but won’t idle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Christie, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great work! What was the small leak?

As said above, if your fuel pump was sucking gas out of a temporary supply, and can't draw from the tank then something between the tank and the pump is clogged. The advice to disconnect at the fuel pump and blow air gently back through the line to the tank. You should hear some bubbling if there is gas in the tank. Loosen your gas cap before you do this. Check all the rubber in the fuel supply line from the tank to the pump also. The ethanol in today's gas doesn't play nice with the rubber fuel lines from yesteryear, and you may have a rubber hose somewhere in the line that is collapsed.

Christie likes this.
  2. belair

belair

This may be more info than you need or want, but...from the fuel pump back to the tank is the "suction" side of the fuel system. If there is a hole in any of the fuel line, the pump will suck air through the tiniest of holes or cracks, because it's easier to suck air than liquid. Poke a little hole in a straw and try to drink through it. Same thing. That's why it's important to make sure the rubber hoses are in good shape. It may not leak fuel, but it will still suck air, and you will have no gas getting to the carb.

Christie likes this.
  3. That was so nice of you to say! Thank you. Yes, you all are an infinite source of knowledge and personal experience, it would be a shame not to take advantage of it. I only wish I had sooner. :( I got frustrated working on my own with it. Asked for help from family and friends and got nowhere.

I sincerely am so appreciative of each of you posting your suggestions and advice. You all are the best :)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Scumdog and flatford39 like this.
  4. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good job. Nice car.
    You may want to put another hose clamp on the fuel filter where the filter joins the flexible hose. You're missing one.

Desoto291Hemi and Christie like this.
  5. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have been driving a Yblock in this car for more than 21 years. Its a good dependable trouble free engine 59f2.jpg

Truck64, Christie and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  6. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Come on girl, give us an update !

Christie likes this.
  7. Lol!!! Hahahahaha well, I’ve been a busy bee again today. I blew the fuel line with air but disconnected the end so I can feel the air coming through and to see if there was crud. It first blew out a bunch of red dust which I’m guessing is rust. (This surprised me because I blew that line already about 6 months ago) anyway, then it was blowing a clear stream of air. I almost pulled the tank down but then decided I should try one more test on the fuel line and that was to hook up a container of fuel at the rear and see if it draws the gas. It got too hot, so that’s where I’m at. I probably will go out there when it’s cooler to see if it works. If it does.....that means the culprit is the tank and that there’s some sediment blocking the screen filter in there?? *shrug* if it’s not that then I think the universe is against me to get her fixed. Lol!!

8. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Don’t give up now, you’re too close to going for a drive!
    If you took the line loose at the tank , did gas run out?
    I have a 56 Ford, it has a steel line from tank to pump. Your’s the same? I don’t think there is a screen in the tank.

Christie likes this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your tank is rusted and you can't get it cleaned and sealed new tanks are available and not all that
    expensive unlike a tank for my '54 Ranch Wagon. This is one source for a new tank but there are others as well. https://www.autocityclassic.com/1955-1956-fairlane-skyliner-sunliner-victoria-tanks/
    Another source would be Concours in Carson City. https://www.parts123.com/parts123/y...~S5SG192DE247149118870a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000051e Not too far of a road trip from Vegas to save the shipping charge.

Christie likes this.
  10. If you’re getting rust dust out of your line, I’d put a hose off the end into a container ,put a rag over it to stop the crap blowing everywhere and blow through again with a bit of gas in the line until it comes out clean.
    Blowing it out dry will get the dust out but you’ll still have a lot of residue in the line that fuel will pick up.
    I would also put a cheap inline clear fuel filter in before your pump just to monitor the cleanliness then replace with a quality one once you’re happy.
    Just my thoughts anyway.
    Good luck.

Christie likes this.
  11. Yes,!!! I’m so close to driving her again!!!! The line has been totally dry, and yep, I have the steel line as well :)

12. Aha! I like that idea of a second fuel filter before the fuel pump. I’ll probably do that because I seriously am thinking there’s sediment still in my tank. I cleaned the tank the same time as when I did the fuel line (6 months ago or so) and the crap that I found in there was insane. It was really bad. :(

13. It’s all a steel line, I changed the small hose that connects to fuel pump. I didn’t blow directly into tank , I had disconnected it from the tank, but wondering if I should have done it the way you said because if there is something stuck in the opening the air would push it through. Regardless, I’m going to have to drop the tank and inspect it better I think .

Blues4U likes this.
  14. If you already have one on the outlet of your tank(outside) all good but if you use one prior to your pump that you can see then being visible it’s easy to monitor, plus it may stop any crap in your line ruining your diaphragm and checks in your pump.
    Others may have different views about it but until you know your system is clean it wouldn’t hurt.

Christie likes this.
  15. 63tango

63tango
    from California

Not sure if anyone has said it, but put another clamp on your fuel filter. It looks like the outlet nipple is missing a clamp.

16. Check Rock Auto for a tank, they were the least expensive when I was shopping for my tank, they had the sender too. If you put a filter before the fuel pump, make it easy to access.

Christie and Truck64 like this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Old fuel tanks full of sludge, varnish and sediment are nothing but trouble. They can be cleaned out but it is fairly labor intensive. Depending on how you value your time or the thickness of your wallet a new fuel tank is the way to go. Use new hoses and clamps throughout, look carefully some are fairly hidden. These will be fossilized by now. Even a tiny air leak anywhere along the way will prevent the fuel pump from doing its thing.

Modern fuels with ethanol tend to dissolve any crud inside the tank and will be a constant source for continuing unpleasantness. All it takes is a tiny piece of crud or rust to stop up a carb orifice or interfere with the inlet needle valve & seat. Old varnished stale gasoline tends to gum up valve lifters or guides, leading to bent pushrods. A lot of people look at Marvel's Oil as "snake oil" but I believe it works exactly as advertised and is a good choice in the fuel tank mixed with the gas with infrequently driven engines or bringing a survivor back to active duty.

Christie likes this.
  18. rusty valley

rusty valley

i believe she has already cleaned the tank folks

19. Already out here this morning, I rigged a can at the rear to rule out if it’s the line. I poured some gas in the carb and started her up, she ran, so that rules out the fuel line being a issue. So I dropped the tank and blew into the tank with the compressor, no bubbles inside, so I stuck a wire in there and sure enough a bunch of crud was all over the wire. :( Time for a new tank, and then I should be up and running! Thank you for the links to new tanks, going to check it out and hopefully find something my husband won’t balk at the price of!!! Lol!!!

Once I get her running with the new tank I will update you guys again. Can’t thank you all enough for your patience with me!!!! <3

IMG_8847.JPG IMG_8848.JPG

Los_Control, Blues4U, Truck64 and 3 others like this.
  20. fresh hops

fresh hops

I have never done it, but I have heard you can have a radiator shop boil out your old tank if you cant find a replacement. I have used a wire brush that you insert into the line, https://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Stainless-Bristle-PMD-Products/dp/B007S91ND4.
    If you have a electric pump hanging around you could flush that line and recirculate it back into the tank.
    I have done this before using WD40 which you can buy by the gallon and it cleans up with soap and water.
    Replacing your fuel system components is not a bad thing, but if your tank is still good a good clean may be all it needs. You doing well Christie!

Christie likes this.
  21. sunbeam

sunbeam

I bought a hot tank out of a machine shop that was closing works great for tanks. My suggestion is to find a old shop that still has one.

Christie likes this.
  22. I managed to find a new one for $179 with the shipping! I had seen them for three hundred in macs’ catalog before so I was thinking it was going to be that much so when I found it on that link I jumped at it! Lol so now I have to painfully and impatiently wait for it to arrive. Lol but I’ll post to let you all know when it’s in and running! I can’t wait and couldn’t have done it without all of you

Truck64, ottoman and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Christie, you are a a true hot rodder . :cool:Love your can do attitude. Much respect.:)

24. Hahahahaha I’m a true hot rodder that has SO much to learn still. I’m getting there thanks to this forum :)

25. New gas tank should be here by end of day on Friday of this week just In time for the weekend!

26. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

27. fresh hops

fresh hops

Christie, F-ONE brings up an excellent point since the car has been sitting, if I remember correctly.
    You might want to sit in it and work the brakes back and forth for a few minutes.
    I would recommend pumping them and then jab them without letting up the brake pedal to keep the pressure on the Wheel cylinders, pump, jamb on the brake pedal and hold for at least a minute. I would do that a bunch of times.
    I would then get the car up in the air and look for any wet spots from possible brake fluid leaks.
    Easier to see with the wheels off and look behind the brake drum as well as the bottom. Better to find out now that at 45 miles an hour.
    Be safe

Christie likes this.
  28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Christie...
    Through 60+ years in the automotive repair trade, I've worked with a large number of 'mechanics', 'techs', and B.S.ers. Lots of the first two were also the third.
    Now. Your idle fix of JB welded washers for a solid base idle platform was ingenious. From idea to finished piece, it was 'Define problem; Surmise missing entity; Design & fabricate solution.'
    Believe me, the number of 'wrenches' I'd worked with along the way that could take charge and make this fix would be few-and-far-between.
    Furthermore: The decision to drop the fuel line at tank end into the bucket and eliminate all doubt about the end member (the tank!) would have been my next (final) move.
    My younger wife worked for me in my shop in the '70s thru '80s, surprising hot rod customers as well as drag racers. She soon had their respect, for she was like you: INTERESTED, DETERMINED; WITH an otherwise 'uncluttered' mind. 'Logical'.
    We're glad to have you aboard.
    Congrats!

427 sleeper, lostmind and Christie like this.
  29. lostmind

lostmind

Well said Mike . I worked with a lot of " Techs" in 47 years . To many " it can't be done"
    or " it's not in the book".
    She is definitely " Determined" , makes me smile every time I read her post.

30. Thank you so much!!
    It can be tough to be a female in a male dominated group/industry. Lol You feel pressured to prove your worth and knowledge which Is why I try to stay humble, always listening and learning. Reading your post brightened my day! Thank you for saying such sweet things.

Peter Nowak and sdluck like this.