Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welding cast...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, Jun 11, 2020.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

My conv top frame cracked while manipulating the top frame. Its a cast iron part..can this be welded so it holds up to the stress this part is put under..here are some pics.

Attached Files:

2. that sucks. If it were me, I would be taking it apart and fabing up a replacement in steel. I real good welder might be able to do it and make it hold, but I would be paranoid it was going to break every time I put the top up or down.

3. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

You can clean it really good and TIG it up with 309L stainless rod it works really well , but it’s a bitch drill (carbide drill) and only 1/4 turn on a tap at a time. But it’s doable

4. banditomerc

banditomerc

I am looking for a replacement. But if i cant source one i will need to tackle the job...

5. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Contact a company called Lock and Stitch... They specialize in cast iron repair....I had a block repaired by them and they replaced a section of the block without welding...Good luck with your cast iron repair.....

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  6. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

It is going to be about the same cost to fab a new one from steel or weld it and re-machine it.

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I was reading somewhere yesterday that using that 309L rod a fellow fits a carbon rod into th whole for a bolt so it doesn't fill up with th filler rod and therefore no need to tap. Isn't brazing acceptable for repairing cast?

pitman likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that brass is more of a fill a hole, maybe replace a corner that was knocked off and fill to slick out on cast rather than mend together and expect it to be strong. If he were dealing with a severely rust pitted piece that needed to be smooth and slick, brass would work good.

9. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Brazing is very acceptable for repairing cast iron. In some instances it is not as strong as TIG welding with cast or steel rod but it is much cheaper. I once repaired the broken throat of a 40 ton punch press with bronze rod. It is still running 40 years later.

10. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Just an idea but there is a company that sells rods for tig welding cast iron, no preheat needed. They are called EZWELD . I think you can google it. I bought some to fix a cast bracket on my tractor front end loader, it held for a while but did break again, it is a weak piece anyway because they did away the cast and now make the piece out of mild steel.

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I once vee'd out a three inch long crack on the side of a 396 chevy block and used a stick welder and nickel rod then peened it. Also repaired a hole in a water hopper on an old gas engine once with nickel rod also. I've seen brazing work real well and pretty darn strong if done properly. Depends on how clean the casting metal is. I mean theres dirty cast material and there's good cast material. Just throwing this out there. Lippy

pitman and seb fontana like this.
  12. saltracer219

saltracer219

I would machine a new one from mild steel.

X38, seb fontana and tb33anda3rd like this.
  13. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The repair is only as good as the person doing it. Read up on welding cast or talk to someone that has done it successfully.

I would weld it with a nickel rod. If done correctly will be as strong as before. Nickel is machinable. Grind the break into a "v" on both sides. Weld it with an air gap at the break. Preheat the part. Peen it immediately when done welding. Done.

Neal

14. Gofannon

Gofannon

Are you sure it's not cast steel? That's the normal material for cast hinges etc. If it is, weld with MIG or low hydrogen rods.

15. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I have had good results from welding with mig. Should not work, but believe me it does.

iwanaflattie likes this.
  16. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

In 1982 had a buddy weld up a huge rail road vise that got broke right between the jaws on the lower part.

That vise is still used and abused every day at work. I'm surprised we haven't broken it again. Its brazed together and yes he is one hell of a welder. Alot of talent and knowledge will be lost when he is gone.

If you can find a seasoned welder/brazer I'd have no problem about letting them repair it....

17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

It can be welded or brazed successfully, if done right. I have welded and brazed many cast products, in my career. But a new , unbroken part would be preferred.

Bones

1946caddy, lippy and Rex_A_Lott like this.
  18. manyolcars

manyolcars

Brass should never be applied to cast iron. It makes it difficult for the next guy who wants to make a proper repair. The Henrob torch is easy to use and makes an excellent repair. None of my Henrob welds has ever broken again. I have seen cast iron broken by the brass

19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Which ever method you choose, make sure all pivots are free and lubercated!

Bones

GordonC likes this.
  20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Or, get another piece. :D

21. gene-koning

gene-koning

I always told people that if another piece was available, or a new part could be make, that would be a better repair then welding it would be.
    I have welded a lot of cast iron with a mig in recent years, cover it so it cools more slowly. Gene

22. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have brazed many a cast iron exhaust manifold with no issues. I have welded plenty of cast with nickel rod.
    Try it just don't screw it up so bad you can't use it for a pattern to make it out of steel.
    Any competent welder should be able to fix that part. Finding a competent one is the next problem.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  23. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

To start with, I would get some penetrating oil and oil up all the joints on that top before you break something else .
    As for welding it, Any competent welder, that can stick weld, could repair the break if he v's it out and peens it between passes. I wouldn't even attempt to weld it unless it is preheated and welded hot.
    The problem might be buying the cast iron stick rod. I've never had to pay for it and I don't know how much it would cost and how much you would have to buy as I'm sure they don't sell it by the stick.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

They call it “ nickel” rod...... but don’t believe them..... it’s more like “ three dollar” rod!

Bones

25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with @Gofannon. it may not be cast iron. More than likely its cast or forged steel. Cast iron is not a suitable material to use for stressed hinge points.

pitman likes this.
  26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

For a non stress repair, we have used a Tig with #12 copper house wire. A friend kicked a rod out of a 426 Hemi, in an alcohol Funny Car. There wasn't any damage to the mains, my Brother cut the same section out of a junk block, and welded it with copper. He even lined up the holes for the pan bolts.

Blues4U likes this.
  27. demon452

demon452
    from Michigan

Can use NI 99 rod or NI 55 rod. At times 309L ss rod. This is all by tig welding. The nickel rod is expensive . I have bought stick nickel rod and taken off all the flux. Now this rod I used has been for cast iron.

Make sure you know the material you are welding or find someone knowledgeable that can tell you. Normally have to do a spark test. There is a ton of Info online if you are trying to do it yourself.

TRENDZ likes this.
  29. olds vroom

olds vroom

As said previously v the crack heat the parts, use a cast rod , or a ni rod then pack it in sand to cool slowly. Leave it in sand overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

1946caddy likes this.