Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake question/theory

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by samdjr74, Jun 8, 2020.

1. rusty valley

rusty valley

i know, i am a jerk, but i always wonder why anyone thinks they need disk brakes in the first place. by 58 the OEM brakes were more than adequate. ever drive a model T ?

bobss396 likes this.
  2. deucemac

deucemac

the return springs move the shoes back from the drum into a running clearance position. The residual pressure valve is usually a 10 pound unit. It holds enough pressure to ensure that the lips on the rubber cups in the wheel cylinders stay tight against the wheel cylinder bore to prevent leakage. Rum brake shoes should NEVER ride on the drum face when not applied.

57 Fargo likes this.
  3. I like discs up front so my car stops as well as new cars I share the road with. Discs in the rear complicate matters and can be hard to sort out.

VANDENPLAS and jimmy six like this.
  4. samdjr74

samdjr74

And I do agree with this, however, the condition of my rear drums became a safety issue. Because of the hub/drum assembly getting replacement drums was costly if they could be found. There's one dealer on line who sells used assemblies for $500 each. That doesn't include shoes, springs, wheel cylinders, etc. I know those parts aren't expensive but it needs to be factored in. If parts were readily available at a decent price, then I would have gone with a stock drum set up in the rear.

5. Yeah, what he said! The car companies only went to disc to be able to charge more money! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ben

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s possible that a complete rear end change would have been easier eliminating the tapered hub drums and dual wheel cylinders. Your into it a lot now but it’s always a consideration.

Tman and squirrel like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

And we still have not actually checked pedal free play.

Baumi, Tman, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  8. samdjr74

samdjr74

I will check it this week or this weekend, work is a little crazy right now

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

No problem...I just think it's interesting that we keep going off on these tangents about your brake system, yet we still don't know if the easiest thing there is to fix, and most likely cause of the problem, is what's really wrong with it.

10. samdjr74

samdjr74

Exactly and I'm on board with looking at the free play. I just need time now, which is in short supply until the weekend. I work in an industry that is overly busy because of the current health crisis. But this weekend I should have enough time to check everything out.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh, no. Disc brakes are actually cheaper to manufacture (in addition to working WAY better).

I work for GM. As the kids say, I have the receipts.

Blues4U, VANDENPLAS and firstinsteele like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

I wonder why they switched back to drums on the full size trucks in the mid 2000s? :)

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[Citation needed]

14. squirrel

squirrel

wife's 99 silverado with rear disk, and her 2008 and 2012 silverados with rear drums.

They have to include a drum brake inside the disk brake for a parking brake, so I'd think the cost is close. But pickups really don't need rear disk brakes....maybe they figured it out....

15. Arominus

Arominus

the AAJ kit has a history of this issue over on the forward look. Good luck.

16. samdjr74

samdjr74

Never heard that before, nor have i ever had a problem with the AAJ front set up

17. I could have gone with front drums with my car, but it was missing almost everything. A other option in your case would be using another complete drum rear, but that brings it's own complication.

samdjr74 likes this.
  18. Discs work better wet over drums. They are easier to work on, mechanics that can work on drums are a dying breed. Less moving parts as well.

Like a stock car class, things escalate. If one maker goes to rear discs, others follow and consumers will want the better product.

samdjr74 likes this.
  19. 54vicky

54vicky

I would think this is worth taking a few minutes to check.another thought when is NEW new meaning no flaws perfect out of the box= master fked yes trudy it does happen with asian products

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happens with US made products, too.

We regularly have to reject entire shipments.

21. samdjr74

samdjr74

Just to close this up, the push rod needed to be adjusted, I think the heat related lock and firm pedal was confusing me as I had this once before and the brakes always dragged. Once I readjusted the pedal, gave it a little free play, the brakes work fine now.

Thanks all.

Blues4U, David Gersic and squirrel like this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

Seems hardly worth 82 posts

23. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Especially since the correct diagnosis was given in the 2nd sentence of the first response. SMH

Blues4U, Baumi and Tman like this.
  24. 54vicky

54vicky

some people only learn by learning.ask for advice if it makes sense ignore it.

25. And the first sentence of the second reply! ;)

26. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What would be the fun in the answer to the problem being always found within the first few response? What would we do with the time saved? Rhetorical questions! :)

Chris

27. First post,

Every single damn time (well 99%) that there is some mysterious problem here that defines all logic and borders on the realm of mysticism It is bad methods or false assumptions at the roots.
    I’m telling you guys, brake fluid is getting smarter and smarter.

Tman, Baumi and David Gersic like this.
  28. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Out smarted by brake fluid again

Tman and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  29. GeneBob

GeneBob

I skimmed this series of posts and wanted to suggest something that may have been stated but here goes: You may have too much clearance in your pedal to MC linkage. If your pedal returns to the top of travel and the pushrod for the MC goes off center in the MC piston, you have now created the condition that would keep the piston from returning all the way and result in what you are experiencing. You definitely MUST have a small amount of play when the pedal returns to its top of travel BUT if it is too much, the pushrod will go off center, then you adjust to this "off center" condition and the next time you press the pedal the pushrod slips back to the center and you lose half of your brake pedal travel. You may want to verify that this did not happen.
    Take Care.

Tman likes this.
  30. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahahaa, my belly hurts from laughing!:D
    Maybe it´s the other way ´round! " Us" are getting uneducated´er ( nicest word I could come up with ):D

Tman likes this.