Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Questions on running a reversed corvair steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eddiesixem, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

Hey fellas, im putting together a little t pickup (really a hodge podge of parts its probably more A than T) and i opted for a reversed corvair box. I been trying to get the best mount for the column but its looking like i will have to run 2 joints under the dash. My question is, does anyone have any pics of how they mounted theirs? Box and column? I have done a search but most posts are old and the pics are long gone. Trying to see if i may be missing something. Heres some pics of it mocked up for now. The biggest issue so far is i am running a 4 speed, so the extra pedal doesnt help room wise. The way it is mocked up i still need to raise the engine about an inch so my headers will clear the box. And the shaft will be entering the firewall to the left of the clutch pedal, which i am a little worried about floor/foot room wise IMG_0695.JPG IMG_0689.JPG IMG_0690.JPG Any advice from those who have done this? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  2. Jagman

Jagman

I thought you were talking about a transmission.......:rolleyes:

3. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

Haha, i fixed it to avoid confusion

4. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see how the current steering shaft to the left of the clutch being successful. If the engine is centered in the frame, perhaps move it to the right a few inches. Consider a rams horn type exhaust. Move the steering box inward. Get a longer pitman arm and bend it to clear the radius rod. Or perhaps consider a different steering box. The corvair box is not super strong. Better suited for a light bucket.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020

5. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

I am working on moving it in. Hoping raising the engine gives me the clearance to do so. Yes i have read alot of the debate on whether it is good or not, i get alot of hit or miss from most of the answers i have read. I figured i would take a shot with it. One thing is i have seen a few pics of thw mounting of them, and they all seem mounted out far like this, thats where im hoping someone can steer me straight... pun intended.. haha

6. I have the same steering box and I’ve been happy with it. I have a flathead, so It’s different enough to be of no help. Mine is set a little higher and more inboard. Works because the exhaust is much lower than yours.

Eddiesixem likes this.
  7. Mount the box a bit farther forward, angle the input shaft side of the box up a tad, use 3/4 round to just inside the firewall then u-joint to column. The corvair box is strong enough. I've used them with everything from flatheads to hemi's. As long as your front end is in front of the motor it won't really know what kind of weight it's carrying.

Eddiesixem likes this.
  8. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

Original Corvair box with coupler. running 327 + 4 speed
    Corvair Box.jpg

Eddiesixem likes this.
  9. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

Exactly what im running, how did you get to your column? Im thinking i may have to move my body back about an inch also im going to try and run a set of lake headers

10. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

I had the box in and out several times before the final position . Like you say there is not much room to play with. Your engine does look lower than mine, but headers were not a problem with me. You may want to mock up the steering column to check wheel position. I had to move the box closer to the engine and mount it at an angle to the frame to get the column between the clutch and brake. I didn't have a U-joint for flexibility.
    FYI for U-Joint get them from a Ford Fiestiva ( double U-joint and vibration damper ) works on Factory Vega and Corvair Box IMG_20150827_120412_edit(1).jpg may help getting things in proper location . This is on a Vega box but the same size. All of $12 at pick &pull

Eddiesixem likes this.
  11. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

Great info! I will check that out. I probably
    Should have went with a vega...but i got on this side steer kick... that coupled with the under floor pedal set up is really biting me about now haha

12. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The mounting angle of the corvair box creates part of your problem. Many of the ones that you see mounted forward are the early ones and using one piece long input shaft.

Eddiesixem likes this.
  13. Move the box inward to where it needs to be.That makes it a exhaust problem.Your either going to use short block hugger headers,or iron manifolds.If ram horns get in the way look at 55-56 Chevy log manifolds.They mount higher on the head,and the dump is forward of the center cylinders.You likely will have to heat,and bend the pedals to open the area between them so the column passes between them,and heat,and bend near the tops to recenter the pads.One other thought....cut the top of the frame say 3/4",and then box the area for strength creating a new lower pocket for the box to sit on.

Eddiesixem likes this.
  14. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

Any other pics of their mountings? pics of their steering coupling? Thanks so much for the Advice everyone has provided.

15. I had to put the shaft thru a hole in the frame to clear my hemi. Welded a plate in the frame to take the 3 mounting bolts from below. The hole was already in the frame. Borgeson shaft to gear coupling, U-joint @ the floor board, column is similar to stock Willys with tube and bearings. Willys used sheet metal tube and composition bushings. I used steel water pipe, turned inside ti accept properly sized ball bearings. Stock Willys shaft. I used a nylon bushing on the firewall to stabilize the bottom of the column.
    Steering drop.jpg Steering gear 1.jpg Steering gear 2.jpg Steering union.jpg

Eddiesixem likes this.
  16. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

yes! i was also considering going through the frame! thanks this really helps give me a visual of what to expect if i go that route. very much appreciated.

17. Just noticed you are in Bakersacres. Lived in the area all my life, born in Porterville, worked in Kern County oilfields for 50 years. If you travel HWY65, that steamflood project that was developed in the last few years around Poso Creek is my project. Just moved to Texas when I retired in Jan 2019! Could have come over to see my car a couple years ago.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  18. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

haha yes sir, I have lived in the area for about 15 years now, love it out here, also a worker in the oil and natural gas industry out here. Man that would have been cool! haha texas isnt that far though is it?? haha thanks again