Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Got her to start but won’t idle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Christie, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

When I supercharged my 8BA I put a Q-Jet from a supercharged Buick on top of the blower. It had all the running symptoms yours has. I took it to a friend who builds nasty motors. He said it was starving for idle air. Opening the throttle plate more took it off of the idle system. Sooo solution was to drill very small hole in each plate and progressively make them bigger until it idled. It worked great. You might want to check with some one local who knows before you try this.

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ No No No. Not on a stock engine.

3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Excellent way to turn a perfectly good carburetor into a paperweight !

4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

A vacuum gauge needs to be connected to a constant source of manifold vacuum. It's a little trickier to do because stock or factory style carburetors don't have this.

There is a silver pipe plug right in front of the carburetor in your picture, pointing at an angle. That is a convenient place to connect a mechanic's vacuum gauge, need a 3/8" NPT fitting with a barbed end.

You really need to find a blockhead closer to you to help out.

Christie likes this.
  5. Omg, ty!!!! I was wondering if I could use one of those plugs! And nah, I wanna do it myself and you guys are a HUGE help as it is !

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

David Gersic and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't offer anything more than the (excellent) advice offered so far.
    Just wanted to say I admire that you are sticking to working on your project. I think everyone might like to see pics of the whole car

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Desoto291Hemi and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I think it is a vacuum leak,check the hoses and ports,they wont idle with a leak.check for any loose bolts or plugs,it is something simple,keep trying.Dont modify anything yet. harvey

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have already said it a couple of times. The threaded port sticking down from the choke assembly. This will leak vacuum if there is nothing hooked to it and it looks like there is nothing hooked up to it. have someone hold their finger over the opening while you start it or put a piece of tape or a rubber hose with a bolt in the end of it... anything to plug it

10. dan griffin

dan griffin

Not all Qjets are created equal. A lean idle makes for less emissions ( smog). On about 73 and up Qjets the factory enlarged the air bleed orifice and
    put in a air by pass under the throttle plates. with this set up backing out the idle screws makes no difference. THE fix is a small dia. piece of copper wire bent in a horse shoe shape inserted into the air bleed hole, the air bypass hole in the throttle plate can be plugged with a accelerator pump check ball. These mods will richen up the idle circuit.

Christie likes this.
  11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That’s not the best vacuum source. The spark port off the carburetor to the distributor is metered ...it’s all part of that Loadomatic advance system.

A better vacuum source is off the intake below the carburetor base. This is manifold vacuum that runs the wipers.
    It’s that way in an 8BA but Y blocks should be the same.

The bottom line...
    Your not going to get a good vacuum signal off that location for your gauge.

You have bigger fish to fry.

What’s the history of the carburetor? Remanufactured....When?
    Do you know what vehicle it’s from? There’s hundreds of applications for a 94.
    Do you still have the original carburetor?

I may be wrong here on a 94. The info about the heat choke below is based on later 2100s, Holley 1850s and 4100s.

I can’t see how the heat choke can cause a vacuum leak unless it’s pulling through the screws in the carburetor body. The heat choke is a stand alone unit that screws to the side of the carburetor. It should not draw vacuum. As a matter of fact, if anything you might have an exhaust leak off the exhaust manifold if equipped with the heat tube rather than a vacuum leak from the carburetor. That is unless it’s pulling through the mounting screws which is unlikely.

I know I may sound like a broken record but check that carburetor base. I was wrong about my Flathead having 3 gaskets under the old carburetor. It had 4, I found another stuck the the bottom of the old carburetor.

Christie and gimpyshotrods like this.
  12. dan griffin

dan griffin

You are right,nothing I am on wrong page. My wife wife keeps telling me that I am not yery smart.

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

There is an internal passage in the carb that puts vacuum in the choke housing. The vacuum is how the heat from the tube is drawn up there

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

here is a pic of one of those carbs, see the gasket between the choke housing and the carb body? that is because there is a vacuum passage there. click the pic to enlarge. She needs to check the threaded fitting coming out of the bottom of the choke housing for a vacuum leak

94carb.jpg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  15. Mr. Mark,,,,,( Moriarity ) ,,,is right on the money,,,,as usual !

Tommy

F-ONE likes this.
  16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

since car not really running yet this may have no affect but, have the correct vented gas cap? 20200608_134311.jpg 20200608_134323.jpg

17. It is plugged, I had plugged it before in there to block the passageway and I did notice that the whistling sound that would periodically happen disappeared but it still didn’t fix the problem of not holding the idle

Moriarity likes this.
  18. I also managed to get someone to press on the pedal to keep her Idling while I adjusted the idle screw and the mixture screws and doing those things didn’t even help the issue she still peters out after a while

19. IMG_0114.JPG IMG_4701.JPG IMG_8038.JPG IMG_8728.JPG IMG_8727.JPG

I did the upholstery, not perfect, but first time doing it.

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Can you turn the idle screw in more, how about a picture of the carburetor side views.
    How many turns are the idle mixture screws out?
    If you put your hand over the carburetor when it is running, does it get better or worst?

21. Idle mixture screws are 1 and 1/4 out each. I’ll take pics and post later. Also, she revs when I cover the top of carb with my hand

22. 61077043181__F7C51E78-A8E5-47B2-A750-235BF311DC99.JPG 61077043181__F7C51E78-A8E5-47B2-A750-235BF311DC99.JPG

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hard to tell but it looks like the idle speed screw is not touching anything, am I wrong?
    Sounds like the idle dash pod is working but not the idle screw.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have you looked at distributor points gap/condition? - not problem but, large hose from back of carb to distrib too large of diam - hose from fuel pump to carb 5/16"?

25. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I see says the blind man.

26. 67L36Driver

67L36Driver

What goes here?
    [​IMG]
    Looks like a power brake booster port.

But, I don’t know squat about ‘Y’ block Fords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcsfabrication and saltflats like this.
  27. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Looks to me like you adjust the idle with the dash pot

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Dash pots are just used to slow the return of the linkage to idle, kind of like a shock absorber for the throttle linkage. The idle speed would still need to be set by the idle speed adjustment screw, and I agree with @saltflats , it doesn't look like the idle screw is touching anything. But my eyes aren't so good, so maybe that's not right.

29. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like the fast idle cam and linkage that is activated by the choke is missing from the passenger side of the carb. Since it is missing, there is nothing for the idle speed screw to bear against.

Lost in the Fifties and ottoman like this.