Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Loping cam for 350 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Jun 2, 2020.

1. I know that Ford makes a towing cam that has a nice loping sound, does Chevy make something similar for the 350? I'm more of a bodyman than a mechanic. Thanks in advance, Michael. BigO

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We're going to need way more information than this.

Vehicle, any other engine mods, transmission, rear end ratio rear tire diameter, and intended use.

Choosing a cam based on exhaust note is sure to end in disappointment.

Baumi, 40FORDPU, blowby and 5 others like this.
  3. What Gimpy said^

Baumi, mgtstumpy and BigO like this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the vehicle is not appropriate for the board, do not mention the year and make.

Just tell us the body style, and the gross vehicle weight.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

The OP asked a question to see if anyone makes it or not. No need for vehicle or motor ID.

6. squirrel

squirrel

you can get just about any cam you want for a SBC. They start getting a decent lope with 220 or so degrees at .050" lobe lift.

The info about the car, drivetrain, etc, makes a difference if you want to be able to drive the car. If you just want a lope, then get a cam that's too big, and you're set. (in case you didn't pick up on it, there's some sarcasm in this post)

7. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

This is not a plug for the guy, but Google "Gordon's Engines" in Texas. He lists a 350/310 HP engine and the specifics of it. It has a video of it running. Maybe that will get you a idea of what you need. As above, Lope sounds good but it hinges on transmission, gear , heads and many other factors to choose the correct cam for your motor.

mad mikey, BigO and gimpyshotrods like this.
  8. Thanks, I'll be checking on these things this weekend, a buddy of mine an me are going over the car to see what all is needed done . I'll post this info as soon as I get it. BigO

mad mikey and gimpyshotrods like this.
  9. Sounds like your thinking of the old RV cam that alot of the O/T Chevy trucks of the 70s and 80's run, has a little lope but does not require a lot of other performance stuff to run properly, not the greatest cam though even the lope is not super great depending on how much lope you want.

mad mikey, TRENDZ and BigO like this.
  10. The car is a '47 Ford. Gloss black.jpg

11. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

In addition to what Gimpy said, compression ratio is one of the most important, if not THE most important considerations when choosing a camshaft.

mad mikey, Montana1, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  12. Thanks, sounds like it a lot of trouble with litte change (possibly)

mad mikey and gimpyshotrods like this.
  13. Its in my '47 Ford 20191104_120319.jpg

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So the answer is: Yes.

I hope that satisfies him.

mad mikey, 40FORDPU, XXL__ and 3 others like this.
  15. Thanks. BigO

16. squirrel

squirrel

The main thing I look for when selecting a cam, is what engine RPM the car is set to run at. This is mostly determined by the torque converter if it's an automatic transmission, and the rearend gear ratio, and possibly the transmission gear rations too, if it's a manual. Of course, the rest of the engine has to be set up to work with the RPM range that the car is set up to work with. You want the same general level of performance for all the parts...small cams work well with stock converters and heads and mild compresssion, while wild cams work best with steep rear gears, loose converters or a clutch, good heads, higher compression, larger headers, etc.

So...learn all you can about the car, and post all the info you get.

mad mikey, TRENDZ, mgtstumpy and 4 others like this.
  17. Thanks, this is why I love this forum, you guys are eager to help and supply info, hope I can do the same sometime. BigO

18. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Solid advise as usual from Squirrel. I, on the other hand, go all the way to the bottom of the page and find the biggest one they make.

I'm kidding, don't do that. If the cool sound is important to you, Comp Cams makes the Thumpr series cams that tighten up the lobe separation to get a more mean sounding cam in an otherwise normal profile. They sound cool and don't really lose much performance over a normal lobe separation angle grind.

Love your little car, by the way. Shows you don't have to do a lot to an old Ford to make them look cool.

-Abone.

WB69, mad mikey, bobss396 and 5 others like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Many years ago I put a Comp Cams "268" hydraulic cam in the 350 in my Suburban, had what I would call the perfect mild lope, kind of like the Chevy L-79 cam.
    Has a Turbo 350, did not seem overly aggressive with the low stall torque converter either.

mad mikey and BigO like this.
  20. Another thing to keep in mind, larger engines mellow out a cam. So a cam that has a lot of lope at idle in a 283, will have less in a 350 or 400, for example. Now add in compression ratio, vehicle weight, rearend gear ratio, and other variables.
    That's why the answers need a lot of information besides "I want it to sound good at idle".

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

21. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

tight lobe separation 107 . street cars like 112. blowers like 114. here's the thumper cam

BigO likes this.
  22. The thumpr series is a good sound. Not so much performance. I've used a thumpr twice and the way it was explained to me is that it's a great parking lot camshaft. Sounds mean idling through the parking lot :cool:

mad mikey and BigO like this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

Look at Isky stock eliminator cams . They have a killer idle and make a ton of power and torque.
    I used them in a lot of lift limited dirt track motors.
    I had to stick one those motors in my O/T Elcamino once to be able to tow my 3700 lb Chevelle to the drags. It towed my trailer great and I could unhook the trailer and ran in the pickup truck drags they used to have down in Ga.

mad mikey, BigO and triumph 1 like this.
  24. Thanks

25. Thanks for the info and that you like my ride.

mad mikey likes this.
  26. Thanks

27. Thanks

28. T
    Thanks for the video.

29. That
    Thanks, thats what I'm looking for.

30. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Jdubbya has a Thump'r in his '55 Chevy truck's 350. It's set up right and it frig'n RIPS! Holley carb on an RPM intake IIRC with Vortec heads, 700R4 trans, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. Take the time to get things right and they work just fine.

BigO and bobss396 like this.