Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features How long did you lurk before joining the HAMB?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fourspd2quad, May 14, 2020.

?
  1. I joined when I found this site.

52.3%
  2. I lurked for 1-2 years

29.1%
  3. I lurked for 3 + years

18.6%
  4. I joined when I saw this poll.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A recent post got me thinking about all of us who have lurked on this site before stepping forward and joining. For myself it was a matter of feeling like I had something to contribute. I know many join just to sell stuff or get a quick answer they can't find elsewhere never to be heard from again. For those who consider themselves active members, how long did you hang in the shadows? What made you decide to join? Perhaps this will encourage more of those to step forward especially the young crowd who may be intimidated by the vast knowledge and fear of feeling dumb. I for one appreciate the hell out of this site and all that Ryan and his crew have done to keep this going all of these years.

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Maybe 2 days ?

olscrounger likes this.
  3. Same here, it was a different century and I had to learn what a message board was first, took me a couple days to find the link.

olscrounger and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. trollst

trollst

Several years, but I couldn't stand to not share my brilliance here, I felt this place needed my unique expertise, so I had to join, just to show off my talents. (Oh lord its hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way.....)

5. Gangrene

Gangrene

I was over the ads, so about 5 minutes. I'm a slow kid and didn't need the distraction!

6. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i lurked for a year or more then after i joined i lurked some more.

madmike8, LOST ANGEL and stillrunners like this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I joined right away but I just watched read and absorbed cause I didn’t know if I had much to say. Now I cannot shut up.:D

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The moment I got here, I joined up and did my intro, “Hey Fuckers, I’m building a Gasser” and got flamed repeatedly.

Clearly it was love at first sight! :D

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found it via another traditional and now extremely closed (as in limited membership) group. Basically comments about those guys on the HAMB. I did a search, found it, read through a number of threads, decided I liked what I saw and signed up.
    I'd been participating on an open car freak board that has side groups for just about everyone that I still point guys who pop up on here with OT vehicles to but don't often check that as the majority of the build styles just don't interest me.
    I've found that if you wear a HAMB shirt to a car show or especially a Swap meet you run into a number of guys who say they check the classifieds all the time but are not active on the board.

Nicholas Coe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

Maybe a year. But that was a lifetime ago.

studebaker46 and Just Gary like this.
  11. Same life, different era.

Just Gary likes this.
  12. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

As soon as i found the site i joined.. I had just purchased my first pre 40s truck and needed help fast. I quickly fell in love and still here. I always knew i leaned traditional but didn't know it had a name and a huge following.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Crankhole

Crankhole

Too long ago to remember.

14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lurked for a few days then joined-was/is all about the stuff I like!

Ronald S. Moore and chevy57dude like this.
  15. 56MercMan

56MercMan

I looked for a few years. Joined in 2008. Posted an intro today....

Main reason for lurking was to gather info on my project and honestly intimidated because I don't know much about old cars. I just own one and do my best to work on it. Don't really know what is "Traditional", just want my car my way.

Started posting today because the project took a huge step forward and is now drivable so I will be having questions as I get back into it. I am trying to learn where to post things and trying to watch what I post and keep it "traditional" if possible.

Was on Ruffrodders many years ago posting pictures of what I was working on and how I was doing it.

Rickybop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Same here, It was a little brutal back then, thick skin was a requirement. HRP

chevy57dude and Just Gary like this.
  17. Those who've been here near 20 years need to remember IT'S BEEN 20 YEARS. Hard to believe. Long time GI.
    I came from the RRT after lurking a year or two. Suits me. And no, I never did no damn intro.

chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  18. I lurked for a while. Perhaps 2 or 3 years. I didn't think I was worthy enough to contribute since this is just a hobby to me.
    Then I just started posting stupid shit. Now I can't stop.
    Most of my contributions are just opinions of a curmudgeon.

19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I spent time on the Ford Fe forum, before I found this one. I joined the HAMB as soon as I found it! Didn’t really read the rules... and promptly got into trouble! Chewed out....a little.... got into a little more trouble! ......chewed out a little more! I’m a slow learner! He he.
    I try to toe the mark now, but I have strayed a few times and had to be brought back into line! But I’m trying to do better?!?.

Bones

20. I lurked for a couple years, officially joined January 01, 2008 and immediately joined the H.a.m.b. Alliance. I let my Alliance membership lapse in 2009 but re-upped in 2010 and have been a member ever since.

21. williebill

williebill

I think I joined immediately after finding the HAMB about 16 years ago.
    I was in a hurry to begin my journey of not adding anything of value whatsoever on here.
    So far my plan has worked as intended.
    I look forward to many more years of not knowing the answer to any question asked.
    I figure my enthusiasm should carry the day.

22. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I lurked for a long long time ( 10 years maybe ) I did not join until I meet @Moriarity and told him I liked lurking on Hamb. He said it’s a lot more fun being a member. I said I don’t know, I not on any forums and would not have anything to offer. But he talking me in to joining and it’s been GREAT wish I have joined a lot sooner.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  23. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I was first introduced to the site when a friend emailed me a link because he saw pictures of my '37 on here, that might have been 2005 or 06. I did not join for a couple of years until I felt I had information to contribute.

24. About 20 secs. I really needed the parts I was chasing to finish my project. I was lucky the guy who had them was more concerned about completing a deal than playing bullshit games. HRP refers to the newbies needing thick skin, but I found (and had the deleted posts to prove it) that it was the old members that seemed to require a thicker layer.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  25. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Lurked for about three years after finding the HAMB in a random google search. Finally joined after buying my avatar. Love the wealth of knowledge and willingness to help. Must admit I also love the wit, sarcasm, concern for other members and above all the general piss taking more. :rolleyes::p:D. It must be an Aussie thing :rolleyes:
    Keep it up guys, it's a winner.

stillrunners and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. catdad49

catdad49

All I know was that I was a "Grenade Inspector" for quite some time!

loudbang, 56don, Hamtown Al and 4 others like this.
  27. I was on the Jalopy Journal when all that was there was a mag wheel with a slick....

Sandgroper, stillrunners and X38 like this.
  28. indyjps

indyjps

Im not much of a creeper.
    2007, joined as soon as I found it, usually do, so I can follow threads etc. Took a while to get the hang of the place but never got torn up too bad.

29. pumpman

pumpman

A friend suggested the HAMB to me so I started to follow from the cheap seats because damn there were heavy hitters and major flamers. I remember thinking damn if I post something I’ll tank like a brick. So I think after a year I decided it was so much fun to read these crazy posts that I better damn well support it even though I was a NFG. Sorta miss those days but I keep looking forward to tomorrow on the HAMB.

30. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I joined right away a couple of years ago . I thought to myself what kind of drama could result from posting my old car repairs ? Everybody would definitely like the same styles and era of hot rods as I do ? And everyone obviously knows that core plugs and freeze plugs are really called frost plugs? ;)

Sandgroper and chryslerfan55 like this.